Tent or Swag?

Discussion in 'Australia' started by gxdoyle, Dec 4, 2007.

?

What do you prefer

1. Tent

2. Swag

3. Neither, I just fall over drunk when it's time for bed

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. gxdoyle

gxdoyle Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Personally I use a lightweight 2 person tent and a roll up self-inflating mattress but I've been thinking of switching to a swag...
  2. MungoP

MungoP Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Personally I use a lightweight 2 person tent and a roll up self-inflating mattress. I also found I slept much better with a blow-up pillow (no it didn't have any special holes in it) rather than clothes stuffed into a pillow slip.

I like the idea of a swag though but having the room to spread your junk around was great.
  3. atgreg

atgreg Africatwinarama

Oddometer:
    I use a tent, swags tend to be pretty big and bulky
  4. nevgriff64

nevgriff64 .

Oddometer:
    Tent works best for me.. If it does rain then the extra room for storing your gear out of the weather helps and so does getting dressed/undressed for bed as well.. The extra time involved to set the tent up is no great deal and the more you do it the faster you get it set up.. More so on longer rides..

[​IMG]

I could see the merrit in a swag for an overnighter somewhere though..
  5. gxdoyle

gxdoyle Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Interesting picture with the chair - I have been thinking about whether to take one of those folding camping chairs with me next week instead of sitting on one of my panniers
  6. rossf650dakar

rossf650dakar Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yeah, how bout that chair!

We kept debating from Tassie to the top whether to strap on a full size camp chair or make do with the smaller things. My smaller chair thingy broke somewhere in Qld, after which I just sat on the panniers. But a chair would have been soooooo comfy!
  7. nevgriff64

nevgriff64 .

Oddometer:
    I had also planned to just sit on a pannier but my thoughts soon changed when my butt was after something comfy to sit on and not just another hard as a rock KTM seat..

Andrew2 was kind enough to lend me his chair to take and it just strapped up very easily on top of the soft bag and really didn`t even know it was there until needed..

[​IMG]

Bloody glad I took it in the end..
  8. gxdoyle

gxdoyle Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm sold - I'll add it the very bloody extensive list of things I'm packing.

[​IMG]
  9. nevgriff64

nevgriff64 .

Oddometer:
    I see you have your alcohol sorted out but where`s the camping gear?? :lol3
  10. Shmerel

Shmerel

Oddometer:
    didnt we discuss this a few months back?
  11. gxdoyle

gxdoyle Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I searched for threads on this before posting but couldn't see anything
  12. GodSilla

GodSilla I did that.

Oddometer:
    I've got a small "biker" swag, contains a self-inflating air mattress, sleeping bag and inflatable pillow, plus a layer of 25mm high density foam, which all packs up small. While it's Ok for travelling, it's just a bit snug, and the other problem is where do you store all your gear when you're ready to snooze? Dew makes things wet, apparently.
    I've got a double swag, 50mm of high density foam plus a half length of low density foam. I only take this in a vehicle, too large for the bike. BUT, it's the best sleep I've ever had for comfort, my nice bed at home included.

The best solution I've tried is the extra large single swag, LOADS of room inside, and the extra length at the foot makes excellent storage for helmet, tankbag, boots and jacket, etc., and doesn't interfere with your leg room.
    With self-inflating mattress, inflatable pillow and sleeping bag it still packs up to a reasonable size (with practice) and is very quick to deploy and repack.
    And the best thing, it gives a great sleep. I'm soooooo glad I abandoned tents.
  13. AllOrds

AllOrds -------------

Oddometer:
    Why is it that every KTM I see with panniers have straps attaching them to the bike? Are they prone to falling off?
  14. Dr AT

Dr AT Long timer

Oddometer:

when you ride a KTM you can do fun things.... when landing from jumps it's nice to know the panniers have the added security of straps.....
    To be honest, I've seen BMW panniers after they have fallen off on easy dirt roads so maybee there is more to it than how much fun KTM riders have? Either way, I reckon you'd be crazy not to have back up straps on your panniers when having fun

as for camping stuff - this was covered in "what camping gear do you carry" , or something like that about a month ago. Some great suggestions too
  15. OldDog

OldDog non impediti ratione cogitationis

Oddometer:
    A swag would be nice, but i just don't have the space. I have a good compact tent and a compact sleeping bag, these pack down small and weigh bugger all. Just gotta work on the mattress thing, i use a blow up one at the moment but they eventually get a puncture:wink: . I think the thermorests are a bit too thin for me to get comfy.
  16. nevgriff64

nevgriff64 .

Oddometer:
    Just added security in case a latch let go or coped a knock.. I had read where forum members over in Orange Crush had one or two come away from the mounting brackets either through impact or maybe not locking it correctly so thought I might as well save myself the hassle and strap it from the get go..

My strap system also allowed me to carry two 5 litre containers ( one fuel one water if needed ) easily so it served two purposes.. :thumb

[​IMG]

Now back to the Tents....
  17. JustAL

JustAL Armchair Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Tent. It's nice to have a place to change in or to get away from the flies!
  18. gxdoyle

gxdoyle Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Are you shy?

Check this out
  19. JustAL

JustAL Armchair Adventurer

Oddometer:
    My dick likes to keep it's modesty. :D

I like to have a spot to keep my gear and it blows chunks on a frosty morning when you're trying to squeeze into that EXTRA layer in a swag.
  20. gxdoyle

gxdoyle Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I've never met a bloke whose dick was shy before....