Tent Space Experiences

Discussion in 'Trip Planning' started by Hollyr, Aug 17, 2015.

1. moron

moron TSM advocate 7197 666 039 Supporter

Oddometer:
    Yet another wonderful experience meeting someone you hit it off with!! It was my pleasure hosting you last night.

Next time we get together when you see me gasping for breath waving my arms feebly the message is stop for a couple of minutes and let me regroup...

I haven't laughed that much in all too long and it remains excellent medicine.

And your story about the Navy chief with the Thai stick business? I'm going to do a Todd Snider (on that topic you'll enjoy this) and jazz it with the reality that somehow you began channeling BOTH Cheech and Chong as it progressed

so there. :rofl

Thanks again, safe travels and hope to cross paths a time or three before we pack it in. :nod

[​IMG]
    Mr Head and Macho Man2 like this.
  2. Carl Stark

Carl Stark Adventurer

Oddometer:
    We are sure looking forward to this riding season and hope to host more travelers. We enjoy the opportunity to meet new people and share stories of the road.
    Treesmacker-MN and Macho Man2 like this.
  3. Kampfire

Kampfire Trucky on two wheels

Oddometer:
    So a 4,600 mile trip started out getting planned on a very low budget a couple of years ago. (Hey! I ride a KLR) Stumbled across the Tent Space thread and map and thought why not? Contacts were made, dates were sort of nailed down to within a day or two of when I thought I would be there, and directions given.

NEVER! Did I expect so many, to open up the hospitality that much. Rolled into places beat down from the road, and given the best treatment from the hosts.

Expected a nice flat spot for my tent north of Oklahoma City on 4 acres, but NO! They were getting ready to head out to a music festival in their motorhome and decided that since it was cleaned up, I should enjoy it. But first Andrew had to take me down to a local pub where that burger tasted so good, and the beer was cold & good. Always a treat after a 300 mile windy day on the backroads. Stories and laughs.
    Louie outside Joplin Missouri was the same, rolled in tired and he told me to get in the car, "We're going out for pizza".
    Had a plan start falling apart in Nebraska, and called my host to say that I might not make it. "You better, we have dinner waiting for you on the BBQ" was his only response.

"I wouldn't know some of the best people in my life if it wasn't for motorcycles" always comes to mind when I think of the Tent Space thread. All the places I was lucky enough to stay in, I sort of took that "Leave no trace" motto, and cleaned up after myself. Better start planning another ride now.
  4. skibum69

skibum69 slave to gravity Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    I just got home from a 6000+ km trip from Newfoundland to Lebanon, TN and back to Maryland for the BMW MOA rally. I just want to say how awesome this thread and all of the people in it are. My most grateful thanks to these inmates who took me in with only a days's notice.
    Camhead64, joshuaz223, MCCOYBOY, Motor 1.
    A big thanks to Greenflyfarmer for suggesting I keep riding and giving me the beta on an excellent campsite in the backwoods of Virginia.

I am happy to share my hospitality as well. Cheers to you all.
    knight, Gham, MsLizVt and 3 others like this.
  5. Lone Stranger

Lone Stranger Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:

If you are in Mn later in the summer / fall and are gonna be way, way, way up 'Nort (no "H") drop me a line... I'm back in the boonies but have plenty of bed space. If you like to shoot so much the better, though we probable won't kill anything other than a few hundred or a thousand clay pigeons and some sheets of paper.
  6. Lone Stranger

Lone Stranger Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    I happened to meet @WhispersthatWind on a dive boat in Thailand. He hooked me up with an inmate named Rex (I forgot his handle :( ) in New Zealand. My gf and I stayed with Rex and his lovely wife a couple days at their home on the North Island. Very nice people!!!
    knight and Macho Man2 like this.
  7. Mark Manley

Mark Manley Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have just finished a six week, 5,000 mile tour of the NW US and stayed with about 10 tent space hosts along the way who were all kind and generous people. I did a similar length trip last year in the southwest with the same results meeting some more great people, thank you to all of you.
  8. raebear

raebear Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Stayed with dentedvw and family on the way back from CO to NV, great hosts fun people, they like to fly too!

Attached Files:

9. Scinap

Scinap Adventurer

Oddometer:
    This has been a long time coming, and it’s all been extremely positive

My first tentspace host was Dean (@deanman), up near Port Angeles, WA. He and his wife made some delicious tacos and put me up in their shed/RV, out of the weather. I stayed with them again on the way back too, and they let me play around making some cider. I won’t repeat this because it will get old, but they, and everyone else I have met, were great folks.

Previously I had used some tools from Tristen (@papawolf) in Portland, OR. He offered me a place to stay but I was sorted already.

Next up was Claire (@the-crimp) in Tofino, BC, for five days I think. Partly because of the perfect weather, but mostly because of good company and sublime food, I had an incredible time up here. She was able to put me up in the most comfortable camping I could imagine, with a view over the bay. If you get the chance, go mushroom hunting with Claire. She was also good enough to put me up an extra night when I decided I just couldn’t leave.

I stayed with James (@goldenrev) for one night near Redding, CA. James and his wife met me in town for a beer, and then a fantastic meal at their house. Once again, incredible hospitality. I would loved to have stayed longer and got to know them better.

The next day I headed over to Eureka, CA, where I stayed with Mark (@meefzah). His better half was away so I got to put a meal together for him in exchange for a nice bed. We shared our appreciating for our WR250Rs and he gave me some great local tips for the next days ride. I ended up staying with him again on my way back north, and got to meet his wife.

I stayed with JD (@fedragster) and his family up near Eugene, OR for two nights. He babied me through changing my rear tire, and put up with all the hassle I caused when I broke the clip on my chain with a lot of grace, including letting me stay an extra night when it took all day. Thanks for that. I must have learned something because I managed to change the tube on my front tire on the side of the road a few days ago with only this experience. I couldn’t really hang my hammock on his island, but settled for a comfy bed and an amazing meal including some deer (I think) and artichoke. Thanks for everything JD.

Back on Vancouver Island I stayed with Jay (@gonemotorbikin) near Sooke. He embarrassed me on some single track and took me out to dinner at his pub. I count it as a win. Very kind guys with lots of space for camping on a lovely property.

I spent the winter in Vancouver, and instead of heading north as soon as I could, I went down to stay with Dave (@eastview ) on his blueberry farm near Ferndale, WA. By this time I had my girlfriend with me, but this didn’t seem to bother Dave and Leah. I think they might have liked her more than me. Together they convinced her she needed a bike of her own. If you ever want your partner to get into riding, talk to these guys. They put us up in their VW camper, and Dave walked me through a few maintenance jobs, and fixed my sticking throttle in a few minutes.

We stayed with Kelly (@gisdood) near Prince George, BC for two nights. We extended our stay as I tried to get through the weekend to get a new front tire. Lovely guy, has had many riders through. We went to Ribs Fest and had cooked ourselves up some burgers the following night. Good food, good company, and good local knowledge.
  10. raebear

raebear Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hosted MargaritaMotoress again...... wonderful guest as always.
    skibum69, knight, Eyes Shut and 2 others like this.
  11. overlander

overlander Gravel Travel Tours Supporter

Oddometer:
    I had Eric PM me yesterday at about 2:00pm saying he was heading in to KS from MO and wondered if he could throw his tent down at my place. We finally made phone contact and he said he was over an hour away from my location. Come ON! I said. It was his first time to use the TentSpace list with out a friend doing the research and reservations. The pressure was on me to make it a good experience. I had to be on my best behavior and try to make his first solo attempt a good one but my house (mid remodel) and life (getting married someday soon) is going through some fairly serious transitions right now. He made the best of my clutter and confusion and we had a great time talking over unpacking the bike and dinner. What a cool guy and what fascinating stories he had to tell! I don't get that many riders coming thru here that want to stay overnight but what Is lacking in quantity is more than made up for in quality. It's such a great joy to be able to host some of the most interesting people on earth! Thanks for the supper and conversation, Eric! Speed safely my new friend!
    knight, Macho Man2, Dan Diego and 4 others like this.
  12. zigyphoto

zigyphoto PAY ATTENTION Supporter

Oddometer:
    I have both hosted -- some are still regular contact/travel friends -- and been a guest and have always been enormously appreciative for both.

z
    MYUMPH likes this.
  13. Pansy

Pansy Not much of an Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Had 2 guys contact us in the last couple of months. Rick from NC on the way to Alaska and Bob from Long Island heading
    to Idaho. Had a great time with both of them.

We've hosted quite a few folks thru the years but had a first when the New Yorker asked to stay a second day so he could sightsee
    around our area. No one ever wants to hang around Peoria :rofl
    knight, Gham, MYUMPH and 1 other person like this.
  14. Eyes Shut

Eyes Shut See no evil Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Unfortunately, we had a couple of no-shows yesterday. I understand that plans change, things change, but please let your hosts know if that happens!
  15. Pansy

Pansy Not much of an Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Agreed! I'm not a worrier but does make you wonder if your "guests" are lying in a ditch or morgue somewhere.
  16. jjustj

jjustj Long timer

Oddometer:
    if i knew their names id be less likely to host them if they couldnt take the time for a call. I know things happen
  17. jimandsuewalsh

jimandsuewalsh n00b

Oddometer:
    Just wanted to give a big thanks to two awesome hosts I had the great fortune of meeting on my recent 7K mile tour of the southwest. Really fun to meet and spend some time with other moto enthusiasts on a long trip far from home. Tent space is such a great idea - big thumbs up to whoever came up with this idea and takes the time to update the map.

Kag- Dave, Great to meet you and your wonderful wife who puts up with you inviting complete strangers to your house lol. Dave lives just off 70 in Kansas on a wonderful property overlooking a lake. He put me up in his air conditioned RV and invited me in to his home to use the shower and fed me a great home cooked meal. He even stocked the frig in the RV with food and a six pack - are you kidding me, just unbelievable.

Velolion - Brian, had a great night at your place and really enjoyed our conversation over dinner. Brian lives just north of CO Springs in a beautiful home. He put me up in his guest room and let me park my bike in his garage on a rainy night. Thanks for understanding about my late arrival - got stuck in a crazy heavy thunderstorm and had to pull over and wait out the storm under the eave of some building on the side of the road until the flooded roadway cleared. That taught me to play close attention to the weather forecast while traveling on a bike lol. Brian is one of the most interesting guys you will ever meet. A true adventurer and a moto enthusiast with one hell of a stable of bikes. Great to meet someone that is living the dream. I want to be Brian when I grow up lol.

These two experiences got me to thinking that maybe I should just sell everything and live on the road permanently going from tent space to tent space site. All I would need is money for gas and tires lol.

The generosity of complete strangers is humbling to me. Really renewed my faith in humanity.

Thank you both for helping to make my bucket list trip happen.

Jim
    cmattina, knight, Dan Diego and 6 others like this.
  18. Booghotfoot

Booghotfoot Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I recently host inmate bikeoption at my place. We had a really nice visit and he had lots of stories to share. I look forward to more travelers stopping for a visit. 20190922_075502.jpg
  19. Booghotfoot

Booghotfoot Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Bob stayed at my place on the way back home to long island. Quite the guy wouldn't you say? I bet you were as surprised as mine when he rolled up. We had a nice visit.
  20. scorch

scorch Poser

Oddometer:
    Bob stayed at my place too, great guy. Love the cases