Tent Space Experiences

Discussion in 'Trip Planning' started by Hollyr, Aug 17, 2015.

1. Lone Stranger

Lone Stranger Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:

I have a job for him if he's interested...
  2. Macho Man2

Macho Man2 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Reminds me of the Beverly Hillbillies!
  3. Klinc207

Klinc207 To PERU!

Oddometer:
    Had two no shows this year. Doors still open!
  4. Motornoggin

Motornoggin Two-Bit Throttle Bum Supporter

Oddometer:
    He stayed with me last year. Great guy! Lots of stories.
  5. Eyes Shut

Eyes Shut See no evil Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    He lives in the Chicago area, and I'm not sure that he is still doing that sort of work...
  6. chittyrox

chittyrox Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    I used tentspace and meet many cool folks this year from March 2019 - August 2019. I am also a host. I do recommend tentspace =]
    Macho Man2, Jamie Z and Motornoggin like this.
  7. Antikid

Antikid Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    I stayed with @kainam00 earlier this year (June 2019) and figured I would post up here. I honestly can't remember if I did or not, but I definitely put it in my RR.

The tent space thing is such an awesome idea. I don't live in a cool area for riding, but have had my place up and was just making sure it still is on the list, just in case, and found this thread.
    No one has used my yard/garage, but one day, I'd like to pay it forward.
    chittyrox, Eyes Shut and Motornoggin like this.
  8. Colemanfu

Colemanfu King of all manfu

Oddometer:
    We hosted Bob on Sunday evening down here in Daytona Beach. He was a lovely guest and fun to hear his stories of the road.

But that loaded up bike tho………..:imaposer

[​IMG]
  9. scorch

scorch Poser

Oddometer:
    Love that guy, he stayed with me in dc one day. Yeah that bike, love the spirit of the rider.
    Lairdofdunnans, chittyrox and Pansy like this.
  10. Pansy

Pansy Not much of an Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Bob was our first guest to ever ask to stay a second day so he could go sightseeing around Peoria.
    Gham and Colemanfu like this.
  11. jfman

jfman Long timer

Oddometer:
    Montreal (traveling Americas June '17 to May '18)
    I havent met Bob but he's quite famous. He came thru our area a while back and the guys are still talking about it.

Here is his European cousin below.

[​IMG]
  12. Motornoggin

Motornoggin Two-Bit Throttle Bum Supporter

Oddometer:
    He stayed with me a couple seasons ago. Great guy! I’d have him back anytime. Easy going, lots of stories and just a good guy.
    chittyrox, Macho Man2 and Colemanfu like this.
  13. Colemanfu

Colemanfu King of all manfu

Oddometer:
    Castle Cole is a popular place this time of year. We also hosted Glen who was in town early for Supercross and Bike Week. Active Military and enjoyed helping him tinker with machine after beating the shit out of it at Devils Creek. My first experience with a Pitster not impresses.

[​IMG]

He lost his tag on that DS ride so I made him a PSA in effort to get his tag back. I'm helpful like that :evil

[​IMG]

We also hosted a couple from Ohio the week before who were pretty hard core. They pulled out on a crisp 60' morning with light rain. I helped by providing a little stool for mama to use to get up on the loaded up scooter.

[​IMG]

Again, just being helpful ha!

[​IMG]

We have had nothing but positive experiences hosting travelers as they pass through town. I need to pay that moto karma forward cause back in the summer of 18 when I was 2500 miles from the beach my van shit a wheel speed sensor on a Friday night. I reached out to an inmate via the tent space thread and he hosted me for 2 nights before I could get into the Edmonton West MB dealer, shared fathers day breakfast, and took me to his local riding spot. I am forever endebited to this site for saving my bacon far from home!
    Click for proof!
  14. SkizzMan

SkizzMan aka SkiddMark ;^)

Oddometer:
    Yup. Hosting is good. Really enjoyed hosting Bob last weekend. Great conversations
    95C5E28B-D460-4EE0-A9A4-E7E9D4B1BFEA.jpeg 96C8F607-F6CD-4758-8A26-7D9F841A94F7.jpeg
    Macho Man2 and Hollyr like this.
  15. jfman

jfman Long timer

Oddometer:
    Montreal (traveling Americas June '17 to May '18)
    @SkizzMan : I see you haven't stopped picking up strays on old bikes.
    chittyrox and SkizzMan like this.
  16. SkizzMan

SkizzMan aka SkiddMark ;^)

Oddometer:
    :lol3
    chittyrox likes this.
  17. SteveTheLocal

SteveTheLocal Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Have had lots of guests in Rancho Mirage, CA and a few on Salt Spring Island, BC, and still in touch with most of them. Really enjoyed each and every one of them!
    I've been hosted a number of times myself and I've made a point of never showing up empty handed. It's just good manners?
    I'm always searching for shelter last minute though... weather changes, route changes, or just getting tired...it's always something. I don't like to be a no show because often the hosts go out of their way to cook for an extra. I don't like to be the guy that no shows! Mind you manners!
    chittyrox and Hollyr like this.
  18. Shawnee Bill

Shawnee Bill Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I struggle with this, I have been going through the house in the last few months cleaning out extra stuff. I run across things in closets and drawers that were given to us in this spirit. Things I have absolutely no use for. I found two gift cards for eateries that I do not like, not only am I not going to use them I can't gift things I don't like to someone I like.
    I really don't like people giving me things I don't want because I now have to pretend I appreciate the gift and then try to decide how long to keep it before throwing it out. To me it is bad manners to give me something, especially food or drinks.
    I will always ask if there is anything I can do for the host when I use tent space, it is the almost universal reply that they want nothing, if someone tells me they expect nothing I honor that request and send them as polite a thank you message as I know how. I do this because that is how I prefer to be treated.
  19. pceire32

pceire32 Irish Supporter

Oddometer:
    Each to their own ! :-)
  20. szurszewski

szurszewski Long timer

Oddometer:
    I try to bring a small treat that’s made where I’m living - or a bottle of booze or beer or wine from somewhere along the way. The latter can be tricky as some don’t partake, so I will try to figure that out in casual conversation before offering it. If nothing else, my sincere thanks in person and a post card/thank you note later down the road. If it’s practical I’ll make a meal or contribute to one.

We hosted LOTS of people when we were living in Portland and it was becoming super hip. Most offered no gifts, but anything was appreciated. The best was maybe a few piano lessons and later postcards for our then very young son. I understand what you are saying about knick knacks and the few that were left, though appreciated, have probably all been given away or lost by now.

I usually don’t give that type of gift in any situation, but when we were on a long trip (over a year) we did being a cache of tiny ceramic snail (made by us) and left one with each host. I think most if not all were appreciated, and hopefully any that were not went away quickly or are at least not collecting much dust. ;)

Now, as for those gift cards, surely you can find someone who would like them even if you don’t - if not, call a local shelter or give them to a school to use in a future raffle or some such. Or, heck, give them to the next folks you host!
    overlander, chittyrox and Booghotfoot like this.