Tent Space Experiences

Discussion in 'Trip Planning' started by Hollyr, Aug 17, 2015.

1. Hollyr

Hollyr Vesterislendingur Supporter

Oddometer:
    Tease...
  2. Hollyr

Oddometer:
    Oh right, tell us about dengue fever and complain that not many people visit! Won't do any good with Canadians you know--we are very familiar with using DEET and we love warm places like CR! I'd love to visit the waterfalls and volcano!

There aren't a lot of tent space posts from Europe, but in my experience they are very welcoming. It looks like the couple I stayed with in Denmark might visit me next summer. The couple from Austria have since joined me at rallies in France and Holland. You will have a great time!
    -clinton- likes this.
  3. Laoch

Laoch Am I still here? Supporter

Oddometer:
    I've had I think three ADV riders stay on my property, all went well. I never even saw one rider, all he left was a flat spot of grass.
  4. RVDan

RVDan Long timer

Oddometer:
    They've all been great, even the German couple with the white supremacy tattoos were polite, thankful and courteous in spite of my odd color skin.
  5. michdave

michdave Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Just a few days back I received a random phone call from a man with a strong Australian accent asking to pitch tents in our back yard. They were a few hours out and had been riding through rain off and on all day. Unfortunately when they arrived here, the rain followed them! Blah! So we pulled the vehicles out of the garage so they could park the bikes inside, let their gear hang and dry, and make a comfortable bed for their two four-legged companions. I couldn't see them setting up camp in the rain, and they proved to be awesome people, so we offered up the spare bedroom. Here's their Facebook link with some information:

https://www.facebook.com/Thepacktrack

Stu and Janell, from Sydney, have been on the road for about 18 months and plan on traveling for another 18 months. They started in Dallas and rode south to Latin America and then all the way around South America! Then they flew and shipped everything to Miami and have started heading north toward Canada to work their way west, then back south into California and then back east before going to Europe. They were both very nice, sociable, and extremely respectful. If you hear from these two in their travels, I can vouch for them.
  6. GreatWhiteHunter

GreatWhiteHunter Lovin' Life! Supporter

Oddometer:
    When I told my wife that I had provided a couch for a couple people that I met via the Internet, she just about freaked. When I told her that "it was all good, they were motorcycle types that I met on ADVRider", she was even less happy. Something about having seen the basement of this place I think may have put her off a bit.

Then she was here when Rob & Kath stopped by. Everything changed after that visit. Now she wants to go to Australia, Russia and South America to visit some of the folks that have stopped through. The tent space thread is an ADVRider must have and should be maintained at all cost. If Jo Momma is the worst of this site, the Tent Thread is the best.

My yard, my garage and a fridge full of beer is always waiting on not just those that need a place to stay for the night but any ADVRider just passing through. And it always will be.

Keep the shiny side up!

Kevin (GWH)
    TonyKZ1, KTMInduro, kojack06 and 5 others like this.
  7. Andy Mc

Andy Mc Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I've had several plan to stop in, but all ended up canceling. The only one I discouraged asked about staying 4 nights per week for 9 months while he went to school nearby...wasn't willing to go quite that far.
  8. Hollyr

Oddometer:
    Yup, a day or two at the most is what's expected. Sorry you haven't had some good ones show up. It really is a good experience when they do.
    TonyKZ1 and jjustj like this.
  9. isalas16

isalas16 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hey it did not happened in Costa Rica xD he was already sick once he got here, I'm not even sure how he was driving with the amount of pain he was feeling :S
  10. Don T

Don T Roaming Viking

Oddometer:
    I've had several people visiting from all over the world (Hollyr included). Besides hosting I also use other Advriders offers as much as possible on my travels.
    I've never had a bad experience with either. On the contrary meeting all the interesting people have enriched my life and added a new dimension - not least to my travel experiences.
    Some of the people who have visited and that I've visited have become close friends that I'm in contact with on a regular basis.

Like GreatWhiteHunter I think that The Tent Space Thread is brilliant and the essences of what Adv is all about - likeminded bikes/travelers interacting and helping each other out.
    pwrooter likes this.
  11. Hollyr

Oddometer:
    I can highly recommend staying with Don T.
    Don T likes this.
  12. Haul Ass

Haul Ass Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I am the guy Damurph mentioned. Fortunately I found Murph in St John;s, had a wonderful time visiting him and was led around and shown all kinds of things in the area. Thanks Murph, we miss you and wish you would come here.
  13. damurph

damurph Cold Adventurer

Oddometer:
    The far east of the far east of North America
    You are very welcome.
    So far this year....
    I had 2 Brits show up after crossing Canada in winter on C90 Hondas.
    A German on a 660 Tenere stay for 10days while he awaited warranty replacement panniers.
    3 riders from Ontario doing a Translab adventure on V Stroms and a Super Tenere.
    A Virginian on a 50cc Ruckus that has been on the road for 15 months doing all of North America.
    A couple from Texas doing a Translab 2up on a Tiger Explorer.
    An Aussie on a Tiger 800 touring the US and Canada.
    2 riders doing Newfoundland on a G650x (from Ontario)and a KTM 690 (from New Jersey).
    A Manitoban on a KLR touring the island.
    Every one of them has been a pleasure to host and a learning experience giving and getting information about riding in our respective areas of the world. I have places to stay in any one of these areas now with people I would call my friends. Although I am not a wealthy man in a monetary sense these people have made my life rich and I only ask that they pay it forward. Most already had done this so they are only reaping the kindness they have already sown.
    I have helped with oil changes, tire swaps, mechanical issues and have been helped with yard work, cooking, groceries etc.
    I have had stuff left in my shed and house by riders and passed some of that on to the next rider who needed it. Socks, oil, tires etc (though I kept the panniers).
  14. SteelB12

SteelB12 Our Purity of Essence Supporter

Oddometer:
    They stayed with me for a couple days as well. Fun people and their dogs were great as well
  15. Maddin

Maddin Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thx Murph. It was a really good stay with you. Was the first "tent-space" experience (although I had a bed). Did it often after that, had a lot of help when I had issues with my bike (Fabrice helped repairing my bike after my crash for about a week). Never had a bad stay. Will continue staying with people from here and I started Couchsurfing too (staying with a host in Winnipeg right now). When I will have a home after my travels, my name will show up in the test spaces for shure.

You do Murph, you do :clap
    AteamNM likes this.
  16. swingset

swingset Got the knack.

Oddometer:
    Before I moved recently, I hosted maybe 5-6 guys, all were great and I enjoyed having everyone who stopped by...no negative experiences.
  17. antirich5

antirich5 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I had a great time meeting and hanging out with two South African guys on their 'epic around the US' trip. First time, wife was a bit nervous, but they were so nice and polite to her, that it quickly changed.

Gave them a last minute personal tour of New York City, after they told me they have no idea what to do there. Despite my hatred for tourist in the city, ended up being really fun showing them cool stuff that you don't see in the movies. They seemed to really appreciate the 'off the beaten path' places in the city, which was very cool.

Best part for me was learning about their country, culture, issues, and food. I life to 'think' that i know about other countries and cultures, but unless you really talk to people, you have no idea. Their conversations made me feel like I've been there.
    TonyKZ1 and Jamie Z like this.
  18. Pansy

Pansy Not much of an Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Had several folks stop by over the years and it's always been fun.... only down side is who in their right mind chooses to
    ride thru Illinois? :lol3

Only disappointing experience was the couple that asked if we could put them up and after going to the trouble of doing a little extra cooking
    and waiting around for them... they never showed or called. I've always wondered if they're still lying in a ditch somewhere.
  19. exmagnarider

exmagnarider Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Had my first Tent Space experience about three weeks ago with my dad, and we stayed with shortbritches. He and his wife were super friendly, let us park the bikes in the shop for the night, and when they heard that our numbers dropped from three to two invited us in for the night. Shortly after we arrived Kelley took us out to the local bar for chicken night, and when he said it was good, he wasn't kidding!

Tent Space is great, I'll never go on a trip again without checking it!
    Branchbuster and 9Realms like this.
  20. AllenTC2

AllenTC2 Pokey

Oddometer:
    So far, I've had two. One was a guy participating in a TSD rally and I never saw him. LOL He crashed in my garage for a couple of hours in the wee of the night, then took off.

The other was extremely memorable, a Canadian from Quebec named Franqk. LOL He was on the return leg of an odyssey I was extremely envious of. Left Quebec, headed southwest through the US, into the Baja peninsula, ferried to 'mainland' Mexico, then to Guatemala, then a lazy trip back up through the US south and homeward.

Oh, he was on a beater Honda CB750. LOL When he got to my house the rear tire was showing cords, he had some electrical issues (which would rear its ugly head the day he left my place), and needed some work done on his oil filter cover. He crashed at my place for 4 days (I think) while getting a new tire. He got to see trippy belly dancing, went to a WV high school soccer game, attended a non-denominational church service, got to shoot his first firearms and all I got in return was a couple of scenes in his video. :D

Franqk said he relied almost exclusively on the Tent Space for places to crash on his trip. :)

Crap.....and there was one other guy. From NY I think, on a BMW. Sat around and talked motorcycles and trips all evening.
    TonyKZ1 likes this.