Tent Space Experiences

Discussion in 'Trip Planning' started by Hollyr, Aug 17, 2015.

1. Little_Buddy

Little_Buddy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I've had only a few over the last two or three years, but we're a bit out of the way, and there are four of us here in Farmington on Tent Space.
    Let's see... Joseph (Geology Rocks) from Denver making a circle tour of the west. Joseph was eventually able to return the favor by checking out my wife's new bike, which we bought and had delivered by another ADV'er! One group of guys from texas left a truck and trailer while they rode the COBDR, and just this past month, Martin (Maddin here on adv) stayed with us for 10 or so days with a trip to Moab in the middle, while he hid from the rain and caught up his ride report. At the same time, Charlie spent a night with Martin and I on his way back to Asheville NC, after buying a KTM 425EXC in Vegas. I found out from his bike why you don't put a non-o-ring chain on anything you intend to ride for miles... We got him a new chain here in town, which has lasted much longer I'm sure! Charlie JUST sent me a text saying he made it the 3221 miles home... I don't think he was going the direct way... :)

We missed one couple because I only had contact through the ADV site, and I hadn't logged in in a while... I added my phone number after that, since I was really bummed about missing them. We'll stay on Tentspace as long as our situation allows!!
    Chris
    9Realms and snare like this.
  2. dan0

dan0 just going with it.

Oddometer:
    No visitors yet, no uses of tent space yet myself.
  3. Go-4-It

Go-4-It Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    We've had a few guys stop by, all have slept inside. We enjoy hearing their stories of the road, however if they elect not to talk that's cool also. We always extend an invite for supper, a dip in the pool & a hot shower. We share our maps and suggestions for routes through KY if they want to stay off of the x-ways. Sometimes we get them on the return leg as well. We try to make it easy for them to stop. Not a lot of hoops to jump through & so on.
    TonyKZ1, AteamNM and Don T like this.
  4. snare

snare sittin and breathin

Oddometer:
    Yeah, prior owner had put a non o ring MX chain on the 400 EXC. Lasted about 600 miles.

I was teaching this weekend and told the story about the employees in Handlebars having jackets on inside and talking about how cold it was. ;)

Staying with Chris (and Martin) was great.

I also stayed with mischief in Albuquerque, echipko in Houston, and The Lazy Destroyer in Woodstock,GA. All excellent experiences !

The Tent Space Thread/Map made my trip possible. I am very grateful for that.

Charly
    rgiroux likes this.
  5. VCheng

VCheng Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I asked a guy in Nova Scotia about the space he had offered on ADV. He replied that he will get back with an answer - and never did.

The trip to NS was great anyway. :D
  6. Hollyr

Hollyr Vesterislendingur Supporter

Oddometer:
    Glad the trip was great anyway. We do try to weed out people who don't answer with our annual tent space double check, but sometimes people just lose track.
  7. Motor 1

Motor 1 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    All good. Being this close to the TAT & the Dragon we have had a number of folks over the last few years. Lot's of fun for us. :)
  8. scada

scada Here we go

Oddometer:
    For some reason messages on this site are not forwarding to my email so I ended up missing one request. I did host someone and it was a great experience and look forward to hosting again. The time it did work out I happened to be looking at the site on my phone and noticed a message.
  9. Hollyr

Hollyr Vesterislendingur Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'm having the same problem with the forwarding feature. I have just edited my post to add my email address so I can be sure that people will reach me. Lucky for the rider that you did connect with.
  10. 5punksdad

5punksdad Tag-Master-Flash

Oddometer:
    I have had several folks stay. One from the UK, a couple from cali, a regular guy Matt from Md stops by and we have become good friends. All in all I have had good experiences and I look forward to hosting. It would be great if more of them would check back with updates of their travels, but I guess after you camp at 10 different folks places you cant update everyone!
    I always try to take some time to spend with the visitors and or show them some local roads on their way out. It doesn't always happen, but I always try. Good times.
  11. Smokin Sam

Smokin Sam Old Guys Rule

Oddometer:
    We've had dozens of people and groups stay with us over the years. It is very rewarding for us as we can travel vicariously with our guests. We've had some pretty famous travelers stay with us too. A shout out to Ian Coates and the cool couple from My Ticket to Ride. We've had people from Transylvania, Germany, Australia and the Philippines stay with us as well as folks from all over Canada and the States. Someday it will be our turn to ride and I hope to be able to stay all over the world with some of the folks we've met this way.
  12. jackalsour

jackalsour Xennial

Oddometer:
    Does that make me the 2nd then? :lol3 My first guests were some TCAT travellers heading west after visiting you this summer. I agree it's a great experience, a bit like travelling vicariously in your own home!

I happened to get home just in time to host a couple from NZ this summer followed immediately by a solo rider from Germany (I'm often away for work or riding myself) I wasn't prepared to host at all but I figured if I was travelling/camping off road for days on the Trans Lab I would probably not be too picky myself. The NZ couple stayed for a night and shared some travel stories and tips. I arranged the "ferry" for them to cross a nearby lake which is a peculiar part of the TCAT. The German rider ordered some parts to my place in advance and was able to get quite a bit of maint done over a few days. When I called to arrange the same ferry for him they started to question about my "clients" and I had to explain I was just a friendly translator. The craziest part was that we randomly met again when I went on a ride a month later!

They were all a pleasure to meet and I hope I can host more TCAT travellers next season. I'm also on "couchsurfers" but they are a different crowd and I never seem to meet anyone from there
  13. HeyJack

HeyJack Highway Bound

Oddometer:
    I had the pleasure of staying with HeadShrinker and his family. What great folks. I was on a very tight budget so could only afford to leave them a 6 pack of pilsner. Will do better next time!!
    AteamNM likes this.
  14. corney

corney Adventurer

Oddometer:
    We had three different riders stay last summer. Two from Ontario and one from Novascotia.

It was fantastic to be part of people's journey and our door is always open!
  15. humancertainty

humancertainty Annihilate all week long Supporter

Oddometer:
    @jfman stayed with me towards the end of last winter for a few days. I had an awesome time and he will always be welcome back at my house. He actually came through and stayed a night again but I unfortunately didn't get to see him as I had to work a double that night. I had planned to see hi. This summer but I had to change my travel plans.
    I had another couple stay with me but I don't recall the ADV handle. They were on the quieter side but both were very friendly. I felt bad because I had bought a bunch of beer and it turned out neither of them drank.
    I had one other couple hit me up but I was on the road at the time. I like having traveling guests pass through and always look forward to it. And I look forward to using the tent space thread myself whenever this damn winter ends.
    Macho Man2 and jfman like this.
  16. mrxinpa

mrxinpa Just Get Out and Ride !!!

Oddometer:
    NEPA Right at Base of Blue Mountain Ski Area .5 mi
    Cant say enough about the overall ADV community. We open our hearts and our homes to be with Like Minded individuals with usually little to NO questions asked.

My wife , Kids and I have hosted numerous visitors over the last couple years. Seems like we get 3~4 each Summer going North to South or East to West! Everyone has had some great stories and about to embark on outrageous adventures. When someone leaves after a stay the kids always love to watch the ride reports and see where folks head off to around the globe!!

An example of this community: I live In Pennsylvania and had a guy from the UK ship his bike to the US in August2014 for a Long trip.. NY to Oregon to SA to make the Dakar Rally in January. He gets in an accident in El Salvadore. We help him find a Local ADVrider in the same town. He puts up Nicks bike for over a Year while he goes back to the UK for Surgery and Rehab. Fast forward to near the end of 2015 and he's shipped parts to SA to fix his bike. Hoops a Plane to SA and Picks up where he left off. Then just last week I have another bloke from the Philly area down south on the Same route. His father passes back in the states and has to abandon his trip in Santiago Chili. Well Nick just happens to be headed back to Santiago. I ask if he can check around down there to see about shipping Patricks bike back to Philly! They make contact and the Bikes on its way back to the states!!!

If this doesn't give you a sense of TRUE Community I don't know what planet you live on but stay there I like mine a lot more!!! Tent Space or just ADV period I'm glad to take a small part of it where ever I go!!

Thanks Baldy!!!
    2wheeldevildog, Macho Man2 and Hollyr like this.
  17. smilealways.net

smilealways.net n00b

Oddometer:
    Fast question for the Hosts, I joined advrider because a different forum I'm active suggested it because of the community and the tent spaces. (I plan on doing a long trip this summer with no real end date in mind). That being said, I read a few post saying their visitors didn't always get responses from hosts. Is there a way I can make the hosts feel more comfortable about me personally before arriving? Ya know to a way they can know I'm not THAT crazy. I was thinking like a detailed about me page or something, I guess if I had to ability to host people a part of me would always be a little cautious. Myabe I'm over thinking it.
  18. mrxinpa

mrxinpa Just Get Out and Ride !!!

Oddometer:
    NEPA Right at Base of Blue Mountain Ski Area .5 mi
    Hey Smiles,

IMHO.. I do believe your probably overthinking it!! One thing you can do is to put as much information about yourself as you can in your profile. Unless your running from the law etc most will take a look at that .. If folks don't reply to a request there could be several reasons as to why they either dont or cant as you can imagine. This site have folks come and go with no regard for what they may have signed up for? They join the site and signup then sell their bikes (why I'll never understand) and never remove themselves from the list. There are volunteers on this site who go thru the list every couple years and try and keep it updated! Most people I have hosted have contacted me within a week or so of their planned visit. I have had several folks notify several people along their intended route then as their plans shift so does their requirements to have a place to stay. In the morning they were coming my way but it rained and the held up someplace else or the traveling was good and they went beyond my place to their next option. I've been on Vacation when folks have contacted me and we weren't home. Obviously my back yard was available but we couldn't host in the way we like to meet and greet various travelers. I haven't really met many truly "crazy" people in my life that I have really had to be concerned about. And I've been to 17 countries and every state in Canada, US and Mexico.

Being a Former Marine, avid hunter, licensed concealed carry, FF I tend to be a trusting American unless someone proves themselves otherwise! Enjoy your trip and make the most of it!! You'll meet and greet some great people along the way!! Most douch bags get sorted out pretty fast around here anyway!
    TonyKZ1, AteamNM and smilealways.net like this.
  19. boatpuller

boatpuller Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hey smile, remember tent space hosts are riders and Like riders, or they never would have offered their place.

Personally, I meet the riders at a public place in case I get a bad vibe from them, which has never happened.
    smilealways.net likes this.
  20. EvilEagle

EvilEagle Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Franqk stayed with us in New Orleans for a few days also. I took him flying (I'm in the video too) and just bummed around Nola for a while. After leaving here he stayed with my parents (who took him flying again) then with my cousin in E. TN - probably just before he stayed with you Allen.

I've had an excellent experience with all the guys who've stayed at my place. We've had some RTW guys & gals and a good mix of bikes and short/semi-long stays. We've kept in touch with a few of them and plan on visiting with some of them soon.

My only use of the tent space list was when AllenTC2 allowed me to ship a whole mess of parts to his place in WV so I could fly up and put by GS back together after a little spill up in PA. I hope to use it to meet more locals this year. Keep up the karma folks!
    AllenTC2 likes this.