Tent Space Experiences

Discussion in 'Trip Planning' started by Hollyr, Aug 17, 2015.

1. Flashmo

Flashmo Whatever...

Oddometer:
    Non-reply is usually not about you. If PM's are not seen do to not checking the site...no reply, not everyone has email notifications of their PM's. If on the road...often no reply. We travel the same months you do.

We have several stop each year, but missed a couple last summer before I figured out there was a problem with email on my business server.

Tent space is not a guarantee. The farther out you can schedule, the more apt it is to be available. Last minute is subject to other peoples situations...may work out splendid, or you may not get a reply till you have passed their location.
    marbee40 likes this.
  2. sparkingdogg

sparkingdogg Prisoner In Disguise

Oddometer:
    Only had one lone visitor last year, which is kinda weird since I am right off I-80. Nice young fellow from out east somewhere, maybe Boston. Couldn't put him up in the house, as I had family staying at the same time and the house was full. He hung his hammock in the side yard. I think he only joined advrider for the tent space lol, which was no issue for me. He came around 8 pm, we fed him a good grilled meal, and he went off to his hammock to do computer work.

Next day he woke kind of late, like 10 am, didn't want coffee or anything to eat. He sure wasn't any bother. He was heading west, I gave him my stadium horn to use against bears, if he was to camp in the Rockies. He made some bet about going coast to coast and back, with his friends. They were driving cars. He was on an XT225. Made me saddle sore just looking at that little overloaded machine! He never let me know how the trip went, but I didn't really expect him to. Hope he made it and had fun.

If I can't give an inmate an extra bed, we always have tent or hammock room in our quiet neighborhood. It's my pleasure to help other peoples rides happen. :nod
    TonyKZ1 and Limey1973 like this.
  3. warriorcole

warriorcole n00b sch00b

Oddometer:
    My daughter moved back down from Chattanooga recently and is living here for a while which is a good thing. I will probably have to limit spacers to when I am going to be around. She is a little freaky about it although she has been here for two tent space visits. Don't hesitate to PM me if you are coming through for Barbers. I can fit quite a few out back and have several extra tents and coolers.
  4. pavement pounder

pavement pounder The road to Paradise is "UN-Paved"

Oddometer:
    I've had many great sleep overs by folks from all over North America.
    I had one guy misrepresent himself and then just wouldn't leave. He did t even share tent space or couch space, he was just a slob. He asked if he could stay the week! Uh no!

But I've had many lovely people before him and will continue to offer.
    Limey1973 likes this.
  5. Erinaceous

Erinaceous ...................O#O

Oddometer:
    ...so, staying the summer is out, huh? Was looking for a bottomless cup of King Cole Tea, lol.
  6. Hollyr

Hollyr Vesterislendingur Supporter

Oddometer:
    Wow, that's nasty! Glad you are sticking with it despite the one rotten apple. I have been so lucky in the people I've had stay and I always look forward to meeting more new friends.
  7. MsLizVt

MsLizVt pfft ...

Oddometer:
    I've had just under 200 travelers stay here.

I'm not kidding.

Obviously I'm on the ADV Tent Space List and I've had a few dozen stay over the bunch of years since I signed up for it.

I'm also on the Warm Shower List for long distance bicycle travelers who are going from Portland, Oregon to Portland Maine typically, and North/South routes as well. Apparently, I'm right on the actual suggested cross country route, and I'm at the foot of the Green Mountains, the last flat spot before people have to climb over the Appalachian Mountains on their bicycles. They say this is the steepest part of their entire 3500 miles of riding. So about 100 some odd bicyclists have stayed here, whom I've never met before they stop here. www.warmshowers.org

Then there are the couch surfers from www.couchsurfing.org who tend to come during fall foliage and ski season.

The last group are other motos who seek me out, not from ADV.

From ADV I've had nothing but great people here! I have lots of great stories to tell about each rider, and the late night conversations we had.

Ninety-nine percent of the bicycle riders were really nice. One couple left an interesting impression on me. Because they had been riding like robots for 110 days, they acted like robots once they came into the house. They had been staying with strangers for most of the trip, and had their canned stories. "Insert Tape 112: We are from Springfield Missouri and decided to take the summer off and ... " They weren't bad people, just tired and had six more days of their ride left before they went back home and filed for divorce. :)

One young christian college guy was "raising money for a mission in Africa". Our conversation was fine until he turned it to politics. When I made note that I had been one of the key people who lobbied here in Vermont for the first gay marriage laws in the country he looked at me like I had horns in my head, he went silent. I had never been shunned so badly in my own home. He left before I woke up the next morning.

But every other bicyclist was great to talk with, and there were so many. They had incredible stories of riding and meeting so many people while pedaling across the country.

On that note, each and every ADV Inmate had absolutely great stories to share. There was never an awkward moment between us. The moment they pulled up, there were smiles, hugs, and laughs!

Full disclosure, I'm quirky. My house isn't fancy, nor is it upper middle class, it's two hundred years old, a bit beat up, with a barn to match. It's not pristine clean, nor is it organized, it's stuffed with boxes of the remnants of my previous life, and it's just the way it is. I'm reclusive, with a lot of fascinating history, and in some ways I'm shy, in others I'm talkative, but I'm always a good host. A visit here, many would say is memorable, and everyone is always welcome! :)

Liz
  8. Mastery

Mastery Mr. Funny Man

Oddometer:
    Really enjoyed your quick anecdotes and can just envision how much fun it would be to trade stories with you. Kudos for helping others, I'm sure it's been very rewarding both ways.

Politics and anything with a political ramification or component to it...it's probably the number one area where many (not all, but many) people are unwilling to allow other people to have their own opinions that conflicts with their own. I'm sure many others have lost a good friendship because of one sentence that was said that had a political note to it that the other person opposed. The world's population is slowly working it's way past inequality and differences, but politics and religion are the hardest to surmount.

If you ever make it to the Crossroads of America, we've got a spare bed and a table or some recliners that great for sharing stories at!
    Macho Man2 and MsLizVt like this.
  9. MsLizVt

MsLizVt pfft ...

Oddometer:
    Mastery, et al, Hi!

Thank you for the invite and the likes! :)

Hopefully it's okay to share a couple of Tentspace/WarmShower/Couchsurfing stories that illustrates part of my philosophy.

My first real couchsurfing experience was in Austin, Texas. I had emailed several people, weeks ahead of time. As time got closer the four who had said yes or probably had something else come up. As a last minute thing I emailed a young gentleman who had a photo of himself racing a bicycle in his profile. The Couchsurfing.org profiles are very extensive where people can review you as a traveler and as a host. His reviews were good, I had none, but he had lots of photos. I pointed out that I liked his bicycle with the Campagnolo components, which are not that easy to discern from a distance, but I've been in the bicycle world for 35 years now, so it was easy for me. He was impressed and said I could stay at his place.

The day I was to arrive I called when I was half an hour away, he gave me the address, which as far as I knew was probably a ghetto. Instead I was driving into an industrial section of town, with a few big towers. He said he would be outside of the place. I kept looking for a beat up pair of stairs in front of a rickety old house with a scraggy dog, but instead it was a skyscraper! He directed me to park on the seventh floor of the secured parking garage, where he met me again. Up to the twenty-second floor we go, and into a pristine one bedroom two year old westward facing condominium with a sunset view of Hill Country. This place was appointed with a beautiful white leather couch, chair, glass and chrome tables and lights, beautiful kitchen, bathroom, masters bedroom, and it all was clean as a whistle.

We sat at the Kitchen counter while he handed me a list of his phone number, the key to the condo, the pass code for the garage, the storage locker, the password for the wifi, his phone number, his girlfriends phone number, and just about everything else you could imagine. Then he said I'll see you in two days.

I stuttered out "Where are you going?"

He responded that he was off to his girlfriends for the night and the next day he has to help his parents. I asked what he does for work. He got all shy and said that he's actually a playboy. That his parents are in the oil business, and that he doesn't work. His parents love him and take care of him, and that he helps them out anytime they ask. In short he is filthy rich, and he loves riding and racing his bicycle and living in his $750,000 condo. With that, he was gone, and I stayed in the condo for the next two days - and watched a beautiful sunset over the Hill country - until it was time for me to head out. My next stop was with a friend of mine I only knew online. She lives in Houston and is handicapped and in a wheel chair. She lives in low income housing, where single moms with a gazillion kids also live. She was a wonderful and gracious host.

On my side of this story, with my own traveling for being a Moto-Ref for bicycling, I've had both warm shower people and ADV Tent Space people email me while I've been on the road. They needed a place to stay while I've not been home. Several have been quite surprised but very thankful when I've called them and explained the situation and told them where the hidden key is, which bedroom is the guest room, that there is beer in the fridge, to make themselves at home, and please write something in the guestbook. :)

I suppose there are people who could think of a thousand reasons why that would be bad. But to be honest, if someone is going to do something harmful, they could probably do it if I were there too. I tend to want to trust people who are coming to me with similar experiences and interests like motorcycling and bicycling.

Am I making sense?

Liz
    TonyKZ1, Old_Lion, runnr548 and 7 others like this.
  10. warriorcole

warriorcole n00b sch00b

Oddometer:
    Well I know where I am staying when going through Vermont now.
  11. Hollyr

Hollyr Vesterislendingur Supporter

Oddometer:
    Absolutely, you make sense. I've had people stay at my place when I've been away and it has always worked well. I know where I'm staying if I ride through Vermont...:1drink
    Macho Man2 and MsLizVt like this.
  12. boatpuller

boatpuller Long timer

Oddometer:
    MsLizVt: Wow, your posts makes me want to come to VT. You sound like a blast! While I've yet to use Tent Space Map as a traveler, I've hosted two, and both experiences were great. (Hope the travelers thought so also....)
    MsLizVt likes this.
  13. AKmud

AKmud Muddy Gruver

Oddometer:
    I've had a few different guests. It has been fun to get to know some fellow riders from around the world. A couple from Guatemala stayed with us for several days and we had a great time showing them some of the local attractions and we still keep in touch today.
  14. RVDan

RVDan Long timer

Oddometer:
    The people who stay with me for free have all been awesome.

The people that pay me rent are horrible.
  15. SirWrecksAlot

SirWrecksAlot Slowventurer

Oddometer:
    Hosted @Bob S. the past few days.
    Considering I didn't actually get to ride with him, we had some fun.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Because of that^^, we added this off my old XRL parts bike.

[​IMG]
  16. SirWrecksAlot

SirWrecksAlot Slowventurer

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Bob's a great guy, we really did have fun.

Happy and safe trails Bob! :thumb
  17. Jamie Z

Jamie Z I'm serious. Supporter

Oddometer:
    I've stayed with Liz, and I approve this message.

[​IMG]

(pic show up?)

Jamie
    9Realms, Macho Man2 and MsLizVt like this.
  18. Mastery

Mastery Mr. Funny Man

Oddometer:
    Let me know when one of your rentals open up. I'll be glad to move in, not pay you, and be awesome. :D
    racetrash likes this.
  19. RVDan

RVDan Long timer

Oddometer:
    Do you ride a motorcycle?
  20. Mastery

Mastery Mr. Funny Man

Oddometer:
    If I say yes, does that make me a awesome person or a horrible one? :D