Tent Space Map v2

Discussion in 'Trip Planning' started by Jamie Z, Mar 30, 2017.

1. Highaltrider

Highaltrider Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    iPhone 8 running latest update. I’ll try pasting link into new window. Thanks.
  2. sallydog

sallydog https://sallydog.smugmug.com/Pets/LD-Travel/

Oddometer:
    I know this wouldn't be easy to do but it would be nice if there was a star rating for hosts and guests like uship or lyft uses
  3. Ebeo1

Ebeo1 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  4. Ebeo1

Ebeo1 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I already read there are no commercial, or requests for payment. Is there a thread for people to post looking for compensation? I would like to find a motocamp that could outfit me for fly and ride trips.
  5. Dirtpatch

Dirtpatch Getmesome

Oddometer:
    Ive tried using it now also on a Iphone 10 and my IPad It goes to google Maps and you can locate the persons gps coordinates but how do you PM him to let him know you are coming. You have to do a search for the guys user name and then PM him? Is this how you contact the inmate. Before I just clicked on the link and PM them now I cant do it.
    motorcycle john likes this.
  6. Pansy

Pansy Not much of an Adventurer

Oddometer:
  7. Jamie Z

Jamie Z I'm serious. Supporter

Oddometer:
    The Tent Space Double Check project is in place for this.

A few years back, we emailed every single person on the Tent Space List to ask if their information was correct and that they were still active on the Tent Space. Those that didn’t respond after a couple tries were removed.

I’m going by memory, but I think we cleaned up around 400-500 outdated Tent Space offers from that initial effort.

Since that time, we’ve continued to email people annually to make sure their Tent Space is up-to-date.

I’ve said it a couple of times already, but we are admittedly behind on this effort, but it’s not dead.

Those doesn’t guarantee a timely response from a Tent Space host, but I think is a good way to keep the list as accurate and up-to-date as reasonable.

Jamie
  8. Pansy

Pansy Not much of an Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I know it's a lot of work. If we don't get a response do you want to know?
  9. skibum69

skibum69 slave to gravity Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    I had a couple of no replies in June but all in all it was great and people helped me out. I still get calls from folks coming my way.

Thanks for all your hard work keeping this thread alive.
    CavReconSGT likes this.
  10. motorcycle john

motorcycle john Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have the same question?
  11. sallydog

sallydog https://sallydog.smugmug.com/Pets/LD-Travel/

Oddometer:
  12. Chickenstrip

Chickenstrip Long timer

Oddometer:
    I for one like the informality of the thread. If a host doesn't respond in my timeframe I move on (so far I have contacted potential hosts before traveling). I've only stayed at one place and it worked out great. My attempts to find a place failed, with hosts either being out of town or responding too late to schedule a stay. So it's no guarantee that one can find a place, but that comes with the free-hosting territory. As for a rating system? I'm skeptical of our current "like culture." For all I care, if a host welcomes me at the door (or gate), points me to the tent space, couch, or if lucky a bed, and says nighty night, I'm a happy traveler. It's icing on the cake if they invite me for dinner and want to chew some biking fat over drinks.

As others have said, thanks to all who make this thread possible.
  13. Jamie Z

Oddometer:
    This has been an ongoing issue with Apple devices. This functionality has worked off-and-on with the Google Maps app ever since the beginning. I'm also an Apple user, so I know the frustration. Here's a workaround, as shown on my iPad Air with the most recent iPadOS 13 software. I also checked that this works on my iPhone 7 Plus with iOS 13.

First, open this thread in your Safari browser on your iOS device. (This may work in other browsers, but since every iOS device has Safari, that’s what we’ll use.)

Copy the Tent Space Map link. You do that by long-pressing the link, circled below.

5C9D02A2-B7E4-46AC-93BD-0053026C470B.jpeg

When you long-press that link, you should get this option box:

57BD1B0A-7D97-4C79-9F65-0AB0E88851FE.jpeg

What you want here is “Open in New Tab.”

We’re forcing the device to open the map from within the browser, rather than from within the Google Maps app.

When it opens, you should still be inside your Safari browser:

6D7ADFBC-D773-47B4-A9B3-99F7C9CD5EFD.png

Find the pin for the Tent Space you’re interested in, and tap on it.

00844FD6-6F8B-4CDC-8F5F-175DA61A0825.jpeg

It’ll give you the information for that Tent Space host, including a link to his or her Tent Space post on ADV. If you tap on that link, it’ll take you directly to the Tent Space post.

0F7D3570-2BD1-4D73-B292-A271C05EB770.png

Hopefully, the Google Maps app will be “fixed” sometime in the future to solve this problem, but for now, the workaround above works fine.

Jamie
    rrpaigs22, pista, skibum69 and 2 others like this.
  14. wipfel

wipfel Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I signed up to host on the tent space thread several weeks back, and I noticed I'm not on the map, yet. Is this the right place to see about getting added?
  15. szurszewski

szurszewski Long timer

Oddometer:
    Ah crap - that's so simple! I wish I'd thought of that back when we were traveling '16-'17! I just kept using the map in Google maps and then remembering or jotting down the username so I could then look them up the tent space thread! I'm laughing at myself a bunch right now for not trying to open it in the browser! Thanks (belatedly) Jamie :)
  16. Jamie Z

Oddometer:
    The Tent Space map is only updated periodically... typically every couple months or so. Your pin should show up the next time the map is updated.

Glad it worked! I struggled with this myself, and if you read through this thread there were a lot of complaints about the map not working properly on Apple devices.

Jamie
    wipfel likes this.
  17. haystack

haystack Just ride

Oddometer:
    Snake Oiler likes this.
  18. Snake Oiler

Snake Oiler If the world didn't suck, we would all fall off

Oddometer:
    Pennsylvania, but living in a toy hauler full-time
    Awesome little thread. Thanks for sharing. I'll have to check out the possibilities. Sorry that I can't help out, but seeing I'm a full-time RVer I really don't have tent space for visiting
  19. Bobby Nations

Bobby Nations n00b

Oddometer:
  20. DRONE

DRONE Dog Chauffeur

Oddometer: