Tent Space Map v2

Discussion in 'Trip Planning' started by Jamie Z, Mar 30, 2017.

1. Dr. Greg

Dr. Greg Tryin' to get home.. Supporter

Oddometer:
    I've used the Tent Space Map for many trips over the last decade; it's an invaluable resource.

However...it doesn't seem to be working any more on my (newish) iPad. The map comes up fine, all inmates shown on map. But if I select one, the information in the panel doesn't include a usable URL for the person's specifics. The URL is shown, it just isn't "clickable"...

This is true whether I'm using Safari or Chrome on the iPad. The Tent Space Map works fine on my MacBook, but I don't take that with me while traveling.

There's probably a setting somewhere in Google Maps I need to change...any ideas? Thanks very much; got a Fall trip coming up that I want to populate!

--Doc
  2. Jamie Z

Jamie Z I'm serious. Supporter

Oddometer:
    Doc, if you long press the map pin, and then when the menu pops up, select open in new tab.

Something like that. It's been a while since I've used an iPad.
  3. Chotu

Chotu Lifan x-pect

Oddometer:
    Same problem here on iPhone. The URL for the ADV forum post is shown in Google maps when you click on a motorcycle pin, but is not selectable to copy or set up as a hyperlink.

you can see it, but you can’t use it unless you write down the url and then type it into a browser.
  4. sallydog

sallydog https://sallydog.smugmug.com/Pets/LD-Travel/

Oddometer:
    its crippled out because iphone is very secure. you might be able to change a phone setting to allow it like android but probably not
  5. Jamie Z

Jamie Z I'm serious. Supporter

Oddometer:
    This may have changed since I last posted it, and I haven't used an iphone in a year, but you don't want to open the map in the Google Maps app. You want to do it in the browser.

When you go to click on a pin, give it a long press and then when the menu pops up, choose "open in new tab."

The URL should work from there.
  6. Dr. Greg

Dr. Greg Tryin' to get home.. Supporter

Oddometer:
    I tried this on my iPad, but when I "long press" I inevitably get a "dropped Pin" and can never select the "ADV Pin" icon.

Oh, well, I recently bought a thinner laptop; I'll just bring that along. Thanks for your help anyway.

--Doc
  7. codebot

codebot Neophyte RTA (Round The Americas).

Oddometer:
    I think I have it. Go to the first page on this thread and find the link in the first few lines that says:
    "Tent Space Map. <--click here"

The trick is to do a long press on the link to the tent space map. You should see a windows style 'right click' menu pop up. Select "open in new tab".

Then you can browse the map, zoom in and do a quick press on a link. Holding my phone in landscape the information shows up on the left side of the screen. Holding the phone in portrait mode, I had to press a link at the bottom to get the full tent space information.

FYI, my example worked on a later model iPhone. I hope this helps.
  8. Booghotfoot

Booghotfoot Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    On my phone and tablet (both android running Google maps app) I just tap the tent space poster icon, click more info...
    Screenshot_20210904-215317_Maps.jpg Screenshot_20210904-215303_Maps.jpg
    CavReconSGT and Lone Stranger like this.
  9. Elefant 900 Rad

Elefant 900 Rad Hedley Supporter

Oddometer:
    I can't find how to remove my pin....I can no longer host since I'm traveling the world with my dog.

Can admin remove my pin in San Diego please, or tell me how to remove it ?

EDIT: my pin is not on the map, so I wonder why people are still contacting me.
  10. codebot

codebot Neophyte RTA (Round The Americas).

Oddometer:
    Doesn't the pin link to an original post with contact information? Can you edit the original post with your updated plans?

I don't know the answers but I thought the above might be a quick solution to your problem.
  11. Elefant 900 Rad

Oddometer:
    I can't even find my pin on the map, but people keep contacting me.
  12. DRONE

DRONE Dog Chauffeur

Oddometer:
    Took me about 30 seconds to find it --->

13. Elefant 900 Rad

Oddometer:
    Thanks Drone, I deleted my post
  14. Baloo

Baloo Itinerant jackass Supporter

Oddometer:
    I cover the waterfront in Norfolk Virginia.
    Hey all. Trying to figure this out a bit. I can find inmates on the maps but I can’t seem to find what each inmate is offering in the way of hospitality. Maybe I’m missing something. Is there a link somewhere to the descriptions of what each inmate is offering?
  15. ZachM1

ZachM1 I'm a meat popsicle

Oddometer:
    @Baloo This is how it works on Android in Google Maps Screenshot_20211110-172214.jpg Screenshot_20211110-172238.jpg Screenshot_20211110-172321.jpg
    nvklr, SilverAdvRdr and Snake Oiler like this.
  16. DRONE

DRONE Dog Chauffeur

Oddometer:
    I'm glad I never use my phone for AdvRider after looking at what you guys go through.

@Baloo, you're from Norfolk VA right? So if I go to the Tent Space Map and zero in on Norfolk, I see that there is an AdvRider there. If I hover my cursor over his icon I get nothing. But if I CLICK his icon I see his name is Bub-Bun and his link is XXX. I click on his link and that navigates me immediately to Bun-Bun's post from 2013 telling me what he has and how to contact him.

Baloo, what are you doing wrong?
  17. Chotu

Chotu Lifan x-pect

Oddometer:

I can confirm this works for me. Thanks.
  18. sgroover

sgroover Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Might be a dumb question, but what's the URL to get to this just from a browser.
  19. Chotu

Chotu Lifan x-pect

Oddometer:
  20. Baloo

Baloo Itinerant jackass Supporter

Oddometer:
    I cover the waterfront in Norfolk Virginia.
    DA7804D0-6449-4B2E-9842-2FE3E9D413F9.jpeg
    I don’t think you have time to listen to all the things I do wrong. I’m going to The map I click on an inmate’s pin I get the map information and location but the links don’t work when I try to open info about inmate.
    The URL info does not come up as a link on my iPhone.