Tent Space Map v2

Discussion in 'Trip Planning' started by Jamie Z, Mar 30, 2017.

1. Trip Hammer

Trip Hammer It's not the years, it's the mileage Supporter

Oddometer:
  2. Addapost

Addapost Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Well this looks great. I haven't heard of this before but looks like it has been around for a while. After looking at a couple of the threads on this topic I have to say I can't figure out how this is supposed to work. I can get the Google map on my computer and on my phone and I can click on the map icons and I see a couple lines of information including lat/long coordinates but I don't see any contact information. How does one contact the folks who host that spot? Thanks
    Rodak likes this.
  3. MeefZah

MeefZah Curmudgeonly Supporter

Oddometer:
    Click the advrider link in the map icon popup to open that person's specific post, some have contact info in the post and others you have to send a PM to.
  4. DominusFL

DominusFL Adventurer

Oddometer:
    My post marker is in the wrong place... who can fix it? We are near downtown, zip code 32804. Our marker is zip 32811 south of downtown.
  5. Trip Hammer

Oddometer:
    I just noticed my offering isn't on the map. Guessing a PM to JaimeZ might help correct it?
  6. MeefZah

Oddometer:
    You can PM until you are blue in the fingertips but no one seems to respond. I have sent several PMs to different administrators specified in this very thread trying to get my pin moved to the city we currently lived in and no one has answered.
  7. Trip Hammer

Oddometer:
    That's unfortunate. I was hoping to get a request or two this summer but sounds like anyone looking at staying at our places have to resort to the list...which is a bit of a pain for them. PM'd Jaime Z anyway.
  8. MeefZah

Oddometer:
    Well if he answers you tell him to check his goddamn messages and move my pin 20 miles north.

Please.
    Trip Hammer likes this.
  9. Jimkav

Jimkav Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    What happened to tent space map?
  10. MeefZah

Oddometer:
    Jimkav likes this.
  11. Jamie Z

Jamie Z I'm serious. Supporter

Oddometer:
    Hi Mark, just to be clear, I'm the administrator, so I'm not sure who the different administrators you have sent PMs to are.

The Tent Space is a volunteer operation, managed by people just like you who are simply members here, and currently we have three volunteers working on it. Me, and two generous women, one who maintains the map, and another who works to make sure the current list is up-to-date. We are, admittedly, a bit behind. I had three or four other people who offered to assist with this enormous task, and as time goes on, life and other things gets in the way, leaving just the three of us. We're doing our best, and I appreciate your wanting to be part of the Tent Space.

I do my best to respond to every goddamn message I get. I must have missed yours. I'll forward it to the proper person who takes care of the map.

Jamie
    Nixels, wmfleet2, Team Vegas and 4 others like this.
  12. Jimkav

Jimkav Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks guys!
  13. MeefZah

Oddometer:
    Thanks!

The other communications were directed at whoever the map administrator is (as listed in the map link "last updated by...".

We get a ton of visitors due to our coastal / halfway between SF and Portland location and I hate confounding people.

Plus I like to bitch!
    Jamie Z and Mr Head like this.
  14. TRAVR6

TRAVR6 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I need to update my tent space location. I moved recently. Who do I need to contact? I actually have two locations to offer.
    Drybones likes this.
  15. dolomoto

dolomoto Destroyer of Motorcycles

Oddometer:
    Same here. I updated my post but need to move the pin...I moved to another continent. :jkam
    skibum69 likes this.
  16. Lone Stranger

Lone Stranger Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:

Maybe add a way to add your location on each person's Personal Details page?
  17. Lone Stranger

Lone Stranger Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Jamie Z you are doing great with this!!! Much appreciated.
    DrHeinrich likes this.
  18. DrHeinrich

DrHeinrich um.... huh. Supporter

Oddometer:
    @Jamie Z Seriously!
  19. skibum69

skibum69 slave to gravity Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    The works great for finding people on your route, I used it on my trip to TN for the BMW MOA rally.
    SkizzMan and Jamie Z like this.
  20. Jamie Z

Jamie Z I'm serious. Supporter

Oddometer:
    I appreciate the comments, but I'm only a small cog. There are a handful of volunteers working on the Tent Space currently, and a bunch more who helped get it all straightened out a while back.

Admittedly, the Tent Space is not as up-to-date as we'd like it to be, in large part because of my own procrastination, and also technical challenges. The forum software update a few years back really threw a wrench in things, and more recently there was some sort of software update that again made the updating of the maps a mostly-manual process, but a couple of awesome volunteers are working to fix that.

The Tent Space List and Tent Space Map will never be perfect. I know the locations of some people's pins aren't correct. It will take some time to get this all sorted and back on track.

Jamie
    zachd, JoToPe, Nixels and 1 other person like this.