Tent spacing in the time of the Coronavirus. Yes/No?

Discussion in 'Trip Planning' started by SteveTheLocal, Mar 17, 2020.

1. SteveTheLocal

SteveTheLocal Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Is it even feasible? I mean I want to do the "Right thing", social distance and all... I don't want to expose anyone unnecessarily. Just me, riding solo, no significant group interactions. Just gas and take out or drive through food. Okay or not? What do you think?

I'd like to ride from SoCal to BC but it's still March, and it's cold at the higher elevations. I had planned to do this in May, but it may be time to get home.
  2. ExodusRider

ExodusRider ExodusRider

Oddometer:
    Im about to leave for a 10 day trip across the states myself.. perfect time for it... everyone's staying in.. fuel prices are low.. less traffic.. parks and camp sites empty.

It's "I am Legend" scenario for us adv riders.. minus lack of toilet paper... ride on crazies!!

Consider it your 15 day self-quarantine... "in the wild"
  3. SteveTheLocal

SteveTheLocal Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    But are you unnecessarily exposing others? Is it selfish? Golfing buddy just died. Picked it up at a charity event. Who did he come in contact with since then? We'll never know now.
    Dan Diego likes this.
  4. ExodusRider

ExodusRider ExodusRider

Oddometer:
    If you havent been sick or show any symptoms the last 3 weeks, then most likely dont have it... plus your interaction with folks will be limited.. dont think you'll be patient zero...

Sorry for your buddy.. tough situation..
  5. Mark Manley

Mark Manley Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have used the tent space thread quite a lot in the past but would not at the moment out of consideration for the hosts, the camping option sounds like a better way to go if you are travelling.
    Jimkav and Meet@Trudys like this.
  6. 95Monster

95Monster Long timer

Oddometer:
    just a note... the parks are full and so are their campgrounds. We’re not the only ones with that idea. I expect the NPS will close shortly so they don’t put their employees at risk.
  7. Amphib

Amphib A mind is like a parachute....

Oddometer:
    So sorry about your buddy.

Yeah, it's amazing how much my thinking on this has changed in the last several days. I expect closures. There's always a contingent of homeless living in the national forests around here, if access and wild camping is still allowed, I'm thinking it's going to get increasingly occupied as the job crisis worsens. Prior to '08, some regulations were much more relaxed, but that got changed as evictees moved into the public spaces. I also think folks won't be as hospitable, welcoming, or permissive of travelers camping about.

Depending on how bad this gets, I imagine there will be a strong need for medical, construction, national guard, etc and revenue depleted campgrounds, and hotels would be the best places to house them so they can work to help us get on top of this situation.

I have a trip planned early April... I may just reel back my itinerary and ride relatively local, camp if I can, avoid contact with all people, except fuel /supplies. Stores are getting a bit bare around here.

Edit.... It'll be difficult to know where we may successfully restock supplies and, heaven forbid we have an off, with medical personnel being so short handed and ratio of beds so small, I'd wonder about our potential care and the attitudes of medical workers towards us. Out galivanting during a pandemic?

I don't know, lots to consider right now. When I feel like this, a trip in normal times is the cure. Not so sure about anything anymore.
    KTMInduro and Krons like this.
  8. danh600

danh600 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Florida State Parks closed camping for 60 days. Accommodation options might actually be more limited even with less people traveling.
  9. High Country Herb

High Country Herb Adventure Connoiseur

Oddometer:
    Being from near Seattle, you pose slightly higher risk to your hosts. (I assume that's what you mean by Island in the Salish Sea). If you are pitching a tent in people's yards, however, the actual risk is still minimal.

I suspect that by May we will have successfully spread out the illness curve so public concern will be lower.
    SATEX likes this.
  10. Krons

Krons Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I would anticipate borders closing soon. I'd also be concerned about getting in a wreck and taking a hospital bed.

Things are getting weird, we are in uncharted territory for our lifetime.
  11. ExodusRider

ExodusRider ExodusRider

Oddometer:
    The only solution here is self-quarantine!
    F@#$!K Corona!! Go Blue Moon...
    20200318_125452.jpg
    csmoore, Nikolya, Cal and 6 others like this.
  12. Tall Man

Tall Man Govern yourself accordingly.

Oddometer:
    I've at least two moto camping trips on the docket that I've just suspended indefinitely. This was done for the sake of preserving my good health and the health of those that I'd have been in contact with during said trips.

I'd have guessed that Tent Spacing would have been the first broadband ADV thing to be rejected out of hand for reasons that are now obvious to a blind man, so to speak.

The prior comments about the real, if temporary, possibility of not receiving proper medical support after a motorcycle wreck are spot on.
    KTMInduro, Meet@Trudys and Krons like this.
  13. Meet@Trudys

Meet@Trudys Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I would vote no on this one. If you are going to go against the recommendations of your government I wouldn't involve others in your decision.
    Krons and glitch_oz like this.
  14. petertakov

petertakov Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Did any of you had similar concerns during the swine flu?
  15. Krons

Krons Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Your 401k, the WHO, CDC and nearly every government have far more concerns than swine flu. This spreads far more quickly. Italy is a good example of not using extreme caution with this one.

We don't need to stay in bunkers but how it can transmit in asymptomatic carriers seems to be the problem.
  16. petertakov

Oddometer:
    It spreads faster and easier because it causes way less severe illness than the swine flu. All those "asymptomatic carriers" that you refer to are those having the virus that won't even notice they do. Those are also the people who build the herd immunity that will ultimately end the spread. Dp you really believe Italy is a good example looking at their numbers? The lockdown is what destroys our immune system and prevents the herd immunity. Look at what Netherlands and South Korea are doing - testing and quarantine of the elderly and controlled spread amongst the rest of the population to build the natural immunity. How long will you stay under lockdown - until a vaccine is available? That's 1-1.5 year. And, BTW, WHO recommend to "... go outside for a walk, a run or a ride, and keep a safe distance from others ..." just as they did with the swine flu.

We will surely survive the virus but are we going to recover from the "measures"?
    Cal and AwDang like this.
  17. Krons

Krons Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I agree with that the economic impact vs medical impact is a tough tradeoff. I have read numerous articles on this, questioning the flattened curve vs economics of shutdowns. Pain either way.

My main reason for my reply was the comparison to swine flu. Seems this is a much bigger deal. For us in flyover states it isn't as dire as populated coasts, but still need to exercise caution.
    SATEX likes this.
  18. oldspice1972

oldspice1972 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    I had a trip scheduled for the end of April/beginning of May (GA Mountains Rally). The Rally has been postponed indefinitely and the campsites I reserved for the trip down and back have all been closed. I also received notice that the Cherohala is closed in NC and likely the Dragon and other roads too. So, looks like options are beginning to narrow.....
    Macho Man2 likes this.
  19. TUCKERS

TUCKERS the famous james

Oddometer:
    Villa Maria Sanitarium, Claremont, CA. USA
    It's not only you that can infect your host....your host could infect you. Stay away....you could spread it like wildfire going from host to host in 10 days!
    glitch_oz likes this.
  20. petertakov

Oddometer:
    Statistically (even based on the current hugely incomplete data) it's more of a smoke than a wildfire, though. The economic consequences of the panic, on the other hand, will be very real and way longer lasting. The problem with a widespread panic is that it wastes a lot of effort that could have been focused on the groups that need particular protection - the elderly people. The rest of us should have been let to build immunity instead of being arrested at home for an "indefinite" period of time.
    AwDang likes this.