Tent spacing in the time of the Coronavirus. Yes/No?

Discussion in 'Trip Planning' started by SteveTheLocal, Mar 17, 2020.

1. shinyribs

shinyribs Thumpers for life

Oddometer:
    Just smoke?

In some places ( Italy and US, for some examples) if you walk in to a hospital over a certain age, and you test positive for Corona, they don't even try. They sedate you so you won't suffer while you lay in a bed and die over the next few days. They are saving their resources for young people who stand a chance of actually surviving. They only waste a bed on you to keep you from infecting others outside the hospital.

We're basically seeing wartime medicine on a global scale.

That's no fucking smoke. No reason to live in fear, but please take the situation seriously. You don't want to be the asshole that refuses to admit something is happening and end up spreading it/killing others by galavanting around like nothing was wrong.

Plagues don't give a shit about political parties, what you think about the virus or how much technology we have. Look back in history when every plague got spread and people died. We always look back at those stores and think " wow, how could they have been so stupid? why didn't they just _____". We don't know the ending yet. Let's not play it stupid in the meantime.

Live your life. Don't infect others for selfish reasons.
  2. petertakov

petertakov Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I am taking it very seriously but there is no way for you to understand that in the emotional state that you are in.

If we don't know the ending, how do you you know what's stupid and what's right? The situation is not about doing something vs doing nothing. It is a matter of focusing efforts where they are needed most and balancing between two evils and you don't seem to have understood that yet. Is there anything that suggests that the total lockdown works against the virus? It's all speculation - some speculate that the total lockdown works, some say herd immunity works but the fact is we simply don't know. The only thing certain about the total lockdown is that it will put the economy in ICU and that costs a lot of lifes as well over a way longer term than a virus epidemic. And yes, even the current data suggests that the mortality rate of COVID19 is way lower than that of the swine flu, for exemple. Do you remember any such hysteria and panic measures to have been taken with respect to the swine flu?

What my selfish reasons might be - I'll take even your wildest bet? If you going to throw around such accusations, I would like you to be more specific.
  3. TUCKERS

TUCKERS the famous james

Oddometer:
    Villa Maria Sanitarium, Claremont, CA. USA
    Well....I have more contact with varied riders than a lot of people...one of my International Travelers is now home in Australia with covid19....so it's real. I don't want people coming by my house and using my kitchen/bathrooms/bedrooms/linens/towels/garage/tools and etc. You all do what you want...but I'm OUT for now. Yes...it was always the same...don't come by my house with any type of contagious sickness..flu/cold/whatever. Don't be a Dick.
    sledrydr, dooby, MrMac and 2 others like this.
  4. shinyribs

shinyribs Thumpers for life

Oddometer:
    I'm not in any sort of emotional state, just putting out some info.

You say it's fake news, but that you're taking it seriously. You can't do both. Decision time for you.

Regardless of what you decide, people are dying wether or not you choose to believe it's real.
  5. worncog

worncog YBNormal Supporter

Oddometer:
    The question was asked, and some answered. Humans will ALWAYS have differing opinions.

Me? I think it is a 'juice ain't worth the squeeze' scenario. Things are still in their infancy in many states, like mine for example where the fucking spring breakers would not leave. But they finally left after sharing the virus between them all. Oh, and they all went back to just about everywhere you all live. Facts. And I am hearing on the ground reports through personal friends in Italy that they believe the death toll in their towns and villages may be 3 to 5 times greater than reported because they have not gone out to check on all the elderly. I hope they are wrong.

And if you are interested in some statistics. Beijing recently reported that 21 million cell accounts and 840 thousand landlines cancelled in the last three months. Now yes, I understand most of them may have been migrants or businesses or such that closed for fiscal reasons, but if you go with just 10%, that is 2 million.

This virus was identified early on as being slippery by the smart lab research people. Slippery meaning it can easily mutate. I believe we are beginning to see some strain modifications in the newly reported cases of children being afflicted with serious symptoms.

There are a couple reasons I am not riding off into the sunset like I normally do. One, my wife asked me not to. And no I am not pussy whipped and as a matter of fact I normally have a no leash permit to which I ride off into the sunset whenever I feel like I can squeeze in some time off work. Typically ~25k miles a year. Two, I came to the realization, or actually had a recent refresher, on how fast shit can hit the fan while riding. In short I high-sided while riding off road. Never saw it coming. I was lucky as I was only heavily bruised and limped for three weeks. No helo, no ambulance cuz we were thirty miles from the nearest road, but a different perspective on riding in the middle of fucking nowhere and how easily shit can and will go sideways.

I'm done ranting, as I really need to finish my taxes to see how many bikes parts I can order tomorrow.

If you go, I wish you safe travels. Take a lot of baby wipes and soap cuz we all know how our hand get when camping.
    Dan Alexander and MrMac like this.
  6. petertakov

Oddometer:
    No, you are not putting out info. You are putting out interpretation of hearsay that supports your panic. This is info and according to it 25000 people died in Italy from seasonal flu in the winter of 2016/17. For your reference the current death toll of Covid19 n Italy is 7500 and this is the end of March, which is normally the natural end of the flu season. Obviously, now, as a result of the lockdown the natural end of the flu season will be pushed well into the summer. BTW, do you remember the global lockdown of 2017? Because you will surely remember the global economic disaster of 2020.
  7. tellicotom

tellicotom Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    We don't know the end of either C-19 or the "economic disaster".

I trust with doing the right thing now, staying put, both will pass in time and life will return to our normal chaos. It's no emergency to ride / travel right now and the economy will recover..

We just all need to chill out, relax, and stay put...
    sledrydr likes this.
  8. HeadShrinker

HeadShrinker Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Still hosting in Cortez, CO—tent space and Airbnb’s. No personal contact with guests other than a distant hello. All surfaces and linens sanitized completely between guests and we are gloved up for cleaning. I thought we’d get hammered by cancellations, but we’re getting numerous multi-day stays for folks needing “distance.” We’ll be open as long as we’re allowed.
    Nikolya likes this.
  9. ejeas-monica

ejeas-monica Monica

Oddometer:
    In recent months, it ’s best to reduce going out. In addition to the necessary work and daily necessities, try not to go to crowded places. Remember to wear a mask when you go out. Responsible not only to yourself but also to others.
    Meet@Trudys likes this.
  10. FatChance

FatChance Road Captain

Oddometer:
    When will it be time to discuss why some cities have much higher per-capita Covid cases than others? Why is New York so bad but Atlanta (relatively) is not? Why was Seattle so bad, but Boston was not? Why is New Orleans looking very bad, but Dallas/Ft. Worth is not?

At first view, it seems to be polulation/housing density or maybe widely used mass transit systems. Or maybe it is the city/state/federal fiscal attention given to developing and maintaining healthcare personnel, facilities, and critical supplies before the pandemic even starts. Maybe media attention or polical decisions or cultural differences? Or maybe it is simply chance/luck or timing?

At any rate, it would be wonderful to learn something about why some places have had more per-capita issues while other, similar sized places do not. We should not have to again make the same bad decisions (at all levels) that have been made that contributed to the current situation.
  11. worncog

worncog YBNormal Supporter

Oddometer:
    I believe Seattle was the returning people visiting China, and New York was an influx of people returning from Italy that were contaminated by the Chinese tourists. Just an opinion from what I have read in bits and pieces, not a factual response to your question. New Orleans was from Mardi Gras.

Your question is timely, but still early as people continue to travel from infected areas to non infected areas. Bordering county had one case a couple days ago... a lady from New York.
  12. sledrydr

sledrydr Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Very simple answer to the original question. No
  13. TUCKERS

TUCKERS the famous james

Oddometer:
    Villa Maria Sanitarium, Claremont, CA. USA
    The g
    Gloves won't help you. You still touch surfaces then touch other surfaces and your face with the contaminated gloves. You may as well use your hands. Virus doesn't go from skin to skin...goes through your eyes/mouth/nose.
    Dan Alexander likes this.
  14. HeadShrinker

HeadShrinker Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I’ve developed a full fool proof system of sanitation. No one knows more about sanitizing than me. I do a tremendous job. Cleanitizing. You wouldn’t even believe it.
    Dan Alexander, shu and TheBritAbroad like this.
  15. oneway

oneway Tehachapi CA

Oddometer:
    Blah, blah, blah...yadda, Yadda, Yadda....
    The answer for me is hell no.
    You guys can argue out the details.
  16. SATEX

SATEX Long timer

Oddometer:
    For me, the answer depends entirely on how I define "the time of COVID-19." I'm not willing to accept the additional risks right now, but delaying a month could have, for the purposes of riding trips, have the effect of delaying a year. At this time in my life, a delayed year is a huge loss of opportunity.
    petertakov likes this.
  17. tellicotom

tellicotom Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Maybe look at other opportunties where delaying a month doesn't mean delaying a year...
    Dan Alexander likes this.
  18. Old-n-slo

Old-n-slo Burnin' fossil fuels!

Oddometer:
    Well, it's almost a month later. I know someone who died. He was 32 and a runner. Panic is ridiculous. Buying up the world's supply of toilet paper is stupid. But taking precautions is just plain smart. I don't plan to get sick. I don't plan to die. But if I am asymptotically carrying the virus, do I want to be responsible for infecting someone else who may get sick or die? Ride for a day alone. Go home. Pop a Blue Moon and watch Youtube videos. Next day, repeat. Anything else is immoral.
    RowBust and Barnaby'sDad like this.
  19. petertakov

Oddometer:
    So, countries who have chosen not to lockdown are immoral? Or maybe you or anyone else knows for certain which is the correct action? Was it immoral to leave home during swine flu? Is it immoral to not believe what your president/PM tells you?

And, BTW, the risk of being infected by an asymptomatic carrier is extremely low because one normally doesn't stick one's finger in people's throats and then lick it ... or at least I don't. And that's not me saying this - check WHO's Covid19 Q&A site. Spreading false claims provoking fear is immoral and also illegal.
    SATEX likes this.
  20. SATEX

SATEX Long timer

Oddometer:
    Of course I can always do other things. Hell, we're all do that now. But I am talking about what I LONG to do before my time here is done.