Tents, what to buy?

Discussion in 'Camping Toys' started by Redoubt, Oct 11, 2019.

1. Redoubt

Redoubt Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I am looking to buy a 2 person tent. Requirements are it must be water proof, good quality, lightweight and packs down well. No Chinese crap please.
  2. RRocket

RRocket Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I like Nemo tents.

Guaranteed for life.
    onebadscrambler likes this.
  3. cyclopathic

cyclopathic Long timer

Oddometer:
    What is your budget? How cold temps do you need to contend with? Humidity control? Do you need 2-person small or 2-person big tent?
  4. Redoubt

Redoubt Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I don't want to spend more than $300 ideally. I would say 2 person big. I live in Hawaii but yes humidity control and extreme waterproofing is needed.
    cyclopathic likes this.
  5. bhodi513

bhodi513 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Are you military or first responder?
  6. BoilerRealm

BoilerRealm Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Big Agnes Copper Spur. They also have a bikepack version. It weighs slightly more, but the pole sections are shorter if that's an issue. Vents well for those humid nights.
    DCrider, Kaalsb, -E- and 1 other person like this.
  7. JR356

JR356 Long timer

Oddometer:
    If you are traveling 2 up,then you really want a 3 person tent.
    Tents are generally sized for number of people with minimal gear,so most folks recommend going up a size.
    Get one with double side doors,so the other person is not crawling over you at nite for restroom visits.
    The REI half dome series is good and the Nemo Losi 3 is nice too.All have good rainfly,vent well.
    Big Agnes and Marmot also have good tents.
    Get a footprint to protect the floor.

Look at REI sales pages,Steep and Cheap,Sierratradingpost for good gear deals.
    REI has quite a few tents available online at their end of season sale.

JR356
  8. NilesHenry

NilesHenry Adventurer

Oddometer:
    We are pretty comfortable in our Nemo Dagger 3 person. Packs small and lightweight. Nice interior size for my wife and myself and we each use a very spacious and comfortable 25 inch Sea To Sum mats. The Dagger 3 might be marketed as a 3 person, but they must mean 3 gnomes. It is perfect for 2 adults though.
    Redoubt likes this.
  9. londen

londen Adventurer

Oddometer:
    If you can get it over there: Decathlon's Quechua Quickhiker 2 Ultralight, 2kg's and 40cm by 15cm by 15 cm. And only €130.

I checked the US site, but they don't carry it, maybe CA or order it from the EU.
    Redoubt likes this.
  10. PittsDriver

PittsDriver Fuse lit.... Supporter

Oddometer:
    I've been using Big Agnes products for the last 10 years and they are great for my few dozen nights a year on bike trips. I used a Copper Spur UL2 for several years and this year switched up to the UL3 with a doublewide BA sleeping bag and air mattress. I've used this kit for temps from the 20's F up in the Rockies to over 100 in the Nevada desert. Very robust and ultra lightweight and with a compression sack packs up very small. If I was starting all over with what I know now, I'd get the same kit every time.
    scout68 and Redoubt like this.
  11. Redoubt

Redoubt Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I've not been to Decathlon in years, I still have a Quechua backpack.
    londen likes this.
  12. Redoubt

Redoubt Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thank you for the Info but I don't buy from REI or Dicks.
    Krabill, bobw, Paul466 and 1 other person like this.
  13. appliance57

appliance57 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Wy don't you tell people all your other restrictions so that they don't have to waste time trying to help you.
  14. Redoubt

Redoubt Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Why don't you take your attitude to the Jo Momma sub forum.
    NoelJ and JW like this.
  15. Cycle61

Cycle61 making it up as I go Supporter

Oddometer:
    Just here to put Hilleberg on the first page, but it's not gonna work with your $300 budget. They're almost indisputably the best. And priced accordingly.
    Cigar and MTBRALPH like this.
  16. PittsDriver

PittsDriver Fuse lit.... Supporter

Oddometer:
    Yeah, you won't get kitted up with Big Agnes gear in that price range either. I grabbed my Copper Spur UL3 HV tent at their end of season sales and got it for over $100 off and it was still north of your $300 threshold.

IMO, the ultralight camping gear is perfect for motorcycle camping on lighter bikes. I know people on big ADV bikes like the Redverz tents but that thing is freaking huge and I just can't imagine packing it. If you go shopping in the ultra-light backpacking aisle of the web stores, I don't think you can do any better than Big Agnes. I think it must be made of alien material sourced from Area 51 - it's that incredibly light and durable.

You have to ask yourself if this is a one time thing or will motorcycle camping be something you do more frequently? Buying cheap gear is a false economy and you'll be replacing it (or not happy with it when the weather turns bad). I've been doing this for about 10 years now and when out on long adv rides, a good nights sleep is even more important than it is at home. My current kit is so comfortable, I get better sleep in it than most hotel beds. If I leave my cooking stuff at home, my entire camp site gear (inc. a chair) packs up into a medium Wolfman Expedition duffle.

UL3 tent, double wide BA 15* bag and air mattress, tempurpedic pillow, various lights, sandels for camp shoes, warm fleece, fire starting stuff all in the med. duffle on the seat. The loaded bag weighs less than 20 lbs.
    [​IMG]

By the Colorado river a couple of weeks ago:

[​IMG]
    squidchief and BoilerRealm like this.
  17. danh600

danh600 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I have an REI half dome from a few years ago. Don't see the exact tent on their website anymore. I think it's called a 2+.

I would agree on your first statement. I usually camp alone. If you are a motorcyclist with full gear and a bag or two you will easily fill up a 2 person tent up if you move everything inside. Two motorcyclist would probably need a three person tent.

I have had great luck with my REI. However, it looks like they have changed their design a bit from mine.
  18. Yakima

Yakima NC 700

Oddometer:
    After 40+ years with a Jan Sport dome I used for backpacking and climbing, I finally broke down and started researching tents. This was a couple years ago. Surprise! There's a whole new technology going on out there! Who knew?
    One thing was near the top of my requirement list: tent pole section length. Had to fit inside my cases. There's a thread here somewhere with a bunch of data collected on just that, so if that's on your list someone has probably done the work already. (See Gear/Equipment/Tent pole packed length)
    I travel solo or with one other guy. He is much taller than me, but most people are. So I knew I wanted a 3-person tent. And I'm cheap. I hate to spend money.
    Discovered a brand new to me: Alps Mountaineering. Probably made in China. Middle of the price spectrum. Definitely not Walmart. But it's also a whole lot less money than the stuff REI sells. Got the three-person "Extreme."
    Two seasons. Washington, British Columbia, Canadian and American Rockies: Warm, cold, rain, wind. No leaks. Things tie down well. Design is good. Dual doors. My Kermit chair likes being inside. An LED lantern lets me read into the night or if I've stopped for the day and the weather sucks. Can't stand up but it doesn't feel claustrophobic. But I'm small, too.
    I suggest you take a look at the brand. Might suit you as it has me.
  19. squidchief

squidchief Long timer

Oddometer:
    I use an MSR Freelight but it's a good bit outside of your price range though. Nice thing about it though, besides its weight or lack thereof, is the entire tent kit is only about 18" long and about the diameter of a 2 liter bottle. One thing for certain though, as others have already said, hard to fit two people into a two person tent unless you both like each other.. A LOT!!!!
  20. zachd

zachd Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I heard REI and Dicks has great options, you should check them out!!!!!!!!!!
    ryno23nv, DSM8, 08StangGT_CS and 2 others like this.