Tents, what to buy?

Discussion in 'Camping Toys' started by Redoubt, Oct 11, 2019.

1. sharpzuki

sharpzuki n00b

Oddometer:
    Highly recommend the Dan Durston tents. I have the 1P but a 2P will be available soon - $280. They are trekking pole dependent, but are super easy and fast to pitch and the design is such that the fly is already attached to the inner. No worries about pitching in rain. Huge vestibules!
    https://drop.com/buy/drop-x-mid-2-person-tent-designed-by-dan-durston
  2. Jamie Z

Jamie Z I'm serious. Supporter

Oddometer:
    I do things a bit differently. My two-man tent feels absolutely spacious. I bring in my sleeping gear, consisting of a sleeping pad, sleeping bag, and pillow, and then I bring in the bag with my clothes and toiletries. I'll either put my riding gear into my bags where my camping gear and clothes used to be, or I'll bring it in the tent with me. Either way, there is still loads of room in my tent.

I don't know what you guys are bringing inside your tent with you, but I've heard numerous other riders talk about filling up a two-man tent, plus the vestibules.

I use a one-man tent now and then, and I do admit that can get a little cramped. I wish I could find some sort of in-between size. Like a one-man plus.

Though, for what it's worth, my one-man and two-man tents pack up almost the same size. The one-man is only slightly smaller.

Jamie
  3. Desertskyy

Desertskyy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    So Cal-Ventura County and Boise Idaho area
    I just picked up a Alps mountaineering Extreme 2 just recently Used it in Idaho for a weeks worth of motorcycle camping. Paid 135.00 for it also bought the extra floor I really liked it Plenty of room for one person plus gear inside
    yumdumpster likes this.
  4. danh600

danh600 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I bring EVERYTHING in. Well, except the bike.

However, to be honest I would have more room if I organized like you did. Inside my tent looks like a gear explosion.
    celticus likes this.
  5. Jamie Z

Jamie Z I'm serious. Supporter

Oddometer:
    Fair enough. I won't judge. I see that all the time.

I don't consider myself overly organized, but I do like to keep things tidy and minimal. The less I unpack at night, the less I have to pack up in the morning.

Jamie
    Davethestick likes this.
  6. Traveller13

Traveller13 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Companion Pro Hiker 2 or 3. Unless you want super lightweight it's a great tent which I have used extensively. Easy set up and pack up and packs down to a manageable size when packed.
  7. advNZer?

advNZer? Long timer

Oddometer:
    dont rely on the published dimensions if you are tall make sure you can actually fit.To stay clear of the walls i have to sleep diagonally!
  8. yumdumpster

yumdumpster Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I have the same brand tent but I got the 1 man. Camped in weather down into the low teens in it where I was freezing my ass off, but that was as much due to my bag as the tent.

6 ft 1 200lbs and I am comfy in it, I also bring almost all my stuff inside with me expect for boots and shoes which go under the rain cover.
  9. Thorgrim

Thorgrim Used'ta could Supporter

Oddometer:
    Because it's a valid consideration since both are actively anti-gun. If you camp alone, some kind of weapon is your last defense against the tweakers etc. that may decide to fuck with you. I've had to deal with that shit before, and believe me you won't be sleeping that night.

I'm with him. If you take a political stand on something that isn't your business, expect resistance.
  10. HairySheep

HairySheep Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Ive got a Big Agnes Tumble 2 w/Mountain Glo. It was about $250 new. Its a 2 person, and its very waterproof and really keeps the wind out. Anytime we camp its always got 2 adults in it, and some times a 4yo. With the kid its a bit cramped, but without theres plenty of room. Ive been in it down to 20*F, it was plenty comfy with the bag and pad i had
  11. kokemill

kokemill Adventurer

Oddometer:
  12. david61

david61 Queue, a word with 4 silent letters....

Oddometer:
    MLD Trailstar and a bivvy bag, bit of all purpose Tyvek to lay on the ground if required.

One pole [ or string from overhead between 2 trees ] 5 pegs, acres of room, bomb shelter, super versatile.
    RJAMT likes this.
  13. Plaka

Plaka Brevis illi vita est

Oddometer:
    My first tent was an REI expedition tent. This is the old REI, not todays Chinese junk peddler. The tent was a 6 man, one rather interesting pole up the center. Sort of a pyramid with short walls, the kind of tent you would see in old national geographics on Everest. I eventually threw the tent away and sewed a mesh skirt to the fly and used it as a dedicated rally tent. But it developed this smell. Anyone camping near me made... um..remarks.. I replaced it with a free standing Walrus tent. Really liked it. Good quality, sturdy. Learned that sleeve poles are bad. It got half stolen. I wonder what some homeless idiot is doing without the poles or fly. Got the current tent 10-15 years ago. Mountain Hardware. Well north of 3 bills. 4 season. Free standing including the fly. Not that light and not overly compact packed, neither of which matter on a bike or in a kayak. It will withstand tremendous winds if you stake it and tighten the internal rigging. It's quite low. On the bike the tent never goes in the boxes. Why spend waterproof space on something waterproof? Very fast to set up, easy to lay out and just sleep on top of it. If it starts to rain I pop it up. If the bugs are bad the tent and cigars come out at the same time.

Methinks tents are good for keeping rain off, less so for keeping dew off, decent for bugs...but after that the benefits are psychological. The tent makes a nice little homey space to roll out the inflato bed and blow up poo-poo and feel safe and secure, even though neither is the least bit true. There is some privacy but at the Iowa rally there is still a loud fucking area in the campground.

I have several different rigs. I did a week long river trip with just a tarp, two poles and a bunch of line. I amused myself doing a different setup every night. But it was summertime and bug free. You get a very different feeling sleeping in the open vs. sleeping enclosed.
  14. Biff's R

Biff's R Hill William

Oddometer:
    Mountain Hardware Optic 2.5 or 3.5. I like the ease of entry and exit. Especially at 3 am.
  15. jsinclair

jsinclair Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    If it doesn't need to be freestanding I absolutely love my tarptent stratospire 2. Tons of room inside , packs small, very light and USA made.
    Tarptent also sells non trekking pole models.
  16. glasswave

glasswave Long timer

Oddometer:
    For an ultra light I like the big agnes copper spur II (for solo) or III (for 2 people) . It free standing, light weight, offers decent privacy without the fly and has two doors. For international camping, you often need enough space to keep your gear inside.
  17. elcabong

elcabong Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have a Marmot Limelight 2P tent. I like it because of the vertical walls from the floor up to about 24" provides plenty of room before it starts to curve up to the dome. It's spacious compared to the Mountain Smith Celestrial I was using for a few years. Coupled with the tent, I started using a Helinox Cot with the leg extensions that raises the cot up 15" from the floor. I pack all my bags and gear under the cot so that I have plenty of room in the tent. No clutter surrounds me. Word of caution however is that you need some carpet squares or cork cup coasters to place under the legs or they will dig a hole into your floor and foot print. Don't ask me how I know!
    IMG_6772.JPG
    TOC likes this.
  18. celticus

celticus Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I am by no means anti guns. We were at a fairly large rally a couple of years ago when we hear a gun go off. Some of the guys sitting with me say they saw some leaves violently disturbed in a tree above us but I think this may have been just to amplify the imminent danger we were in. Anyway some guy ended up with a hole in his tent at a rally known for rain.
  19. musty40

musty40 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I'll also mention the Alps Mountaineering tents. I have the Zephyr 3, light enough for the motorcycle, simple fast set-up, room for 2 plus 2 doors and vestibules.
  20. old_oolfay

old_oolfay Adventurer

Oddometer:
    i love my eureka tent, what every u decide on be sure it has 2 vestibules