Tents, what to buy?

Discussion in 'Camping Toys' started by Redoubt, Oct 11, 2019.

1. Jamie Z

Jamie Z I'm serious. Supporter

Oddometer:
    I’ve never understood the fascination with vestibules.

I go out of my way to find a tent without vestibules. I’ve tried tents with vestibules. They’re a pain in the ass to set up, they flap around, and it makes getting in and out of the tent harder.

Besides, with a two-man tent I’ve got plenty of room in the tent for my stuff.

No vestibules for me.

Jamie
  2. rider1150gsadv

rider1150gsadv Long timer

Oddometer:
    Each to their own, but a vestibule allows you to keep all the muddy/wet gear out of the sleeping area... YMMV
    AZQKR, Biff's R and PomInOz_ like this.
  3. old_oolfay

old_oolfay Adventurer

Oddometer:
    place for u kermit chair when raining or away from tent
  4. Brkfst Ridr

Brkfst Ridr Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I went looking for a replacement for my 15-year-old REI Half Dome tent and found the current version a little bigger, heavier and more complicated to pitch. Instead, I bought the REI Passage 2 tent - simpler, lighter and with most of the virtues of the original Half Dome. Currently listed at $159 (less 20% through November 25 if you're a member). https://www.rei.com/product/110837/rei-co-op-passage-2-tent
    Davethestick likes this.
  5. shearboy2004

shearboy2004 KIWIINUSA Supporter

Oddometer:
  6. Madman4049

Madman4049 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Had a Big Agnes Copper Spur HV UL2 MTNGLO from backpacking, the ultralight ultra fragile materials wouldn't do great for motorcycling off-road I didn't figure so sold it and got a Kelty TN2, love it it's a solid tent for motorcycle travel and the short pole length fits in my panniers perfectly.
  7. MGV8

MGV8 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    After lots of debate with my self, I pulled the trigger on a Redverz Solo tent. Stupid money by the time I have it landed. I like the large garage/vestible but don't need the huge sleeping area. Any camping I do with the Bike/Sidecar is solo. The sleeping area should be just large enough for my cot and riding gear. I had a Big Agnes, Big House 4 which was great for camping with the wife and the dog but just too large for Solo trips. Gave it to my daughter. My current tent is a MEC 3person ( no idea of the model) which I have spent many nights in but I am just getting tired of crawling in and out, Read as in getting O.L.D. Looking forward to the luxury of standing and spreading out my gear, sitting out of the weather, etc. Not sure about the tent not being Freestanding but will learn to live with it I suppose.
  8. pat.murphy

pat.murphy n00b

Oddometer:
    Some things to think about for buying a tent.
    Material- I would recommend polyester fabric with a minimum of 1200 mm of hydrostatic head. Any less than that you are much more prone to misting inside the tent during a heavy rain. Sylnylon is lighter but will stretch when wet. Most sylnylon tents will have to be seam sealed as well. Look at the fabric denier (thread thickness in the material) Heavier is more durable. For your climate look for a tent with a lot of mesh in the tent body for good air flow. Go with aluminum poles.

Size/Design- If you are of average height 84" of length would be the minimum. A good width would be 50" for one person. Keep in mind the actual usable space can be less if the tent walls are not of a high pitch. In your climate avoid single wall tents due to condensation issues. Most tents have some sort of venting in the fly to help prevent condensation. Most people prefer free standing tents but non free standing tents can be in some cases be easier to pitch. Decide if you want side entry (you roll out of the tent) or front entry (you crawl out the front) I don't like tents much longer than 20" packed up. Longer than that a it wont fit in a 40 liter dry bag. All my motorcycle tents are less than 5 pounds.

I can recommend two tents for you (I have both)
    Sierra Designs Clip Flashlight- Non free standing tunnel tent, right at 4 lbs, easy to pitch and no condensation problems. $200
    Sierra Designs Clearwing 2- Free standing dome tent, a bit under 5 lbs, easy to pitch and no condensation problems. $230

I think Eureka makes some good tents. Good luck.
    MGV8 likes this.
  9. MtnRider

MtnRider Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Not in your budget (new) and mentioned, Hilleberg. I have scored one here at a good price and it sold me on them. All in one, pitch and go. I absolutely love the product and now have two.

I've also used and like Big Agnes, MSR and REI tents.

The BA bikepack tent (https://www.bigagnes.com/Gear/Tents/Bikepacking) packs very small and works well.

MSR hubba hubba is another great tent I've used.

I did not see Outdoor Vitals mentioned in the thread (could have missed it) and I have never used their products but I have read excellent reviews and know they support the moto community. I will purchase some of their gear during my next shopping trip. They have tents, sleeping bags, pads, backpacks and more. (https://outdoorvitals.com/)

No matter what tent you get, personally I would suggest a footprint to save the floor and give extra resistance against water.

Hope this helps some
  10. davenowherejones

davenowherejones short guy

Oddometer:
    I agree that you generally need a bigger tent. Those two people tents must be for kids.

Most of the tents are also for short people. The slope of the walls means you lose almost two feet in length. False advertising, almost fraud.

I took a 3 person tent for my trip to the Yukon and I had to sleep diagonally just to get myself in. I am only 5 foot 6!
  11. MrPulldown

MrPulldown Long timer

Oddometer:
    As in made in China or just crap.

I think both Big Agnes and Alps Mnt are made in China.
  12. mb289

mb289 2 Wheels Welding LLC Supporter

Oddometer:
    I've been using a Redverz Solo for the last two years. I really like the space for spreading out my gear and shelter from the weather. Packed size is bigger than my previous 3-man Marmot, but worth it. Setup time is only slightly longer than the Marmot.
    MGV8 likes this.
  13. Madman4049

Oddometer:
    LOL Big Agnes is as far from crap as you can get, they are some of the best made equipment out there.
    AZQKR and MrPulldown like this.
  14. Redoubt

Redoubt Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Well that's great. I will sleep better in a Big Agnes tent knowing it was made by commies. Yeah no thanks.
  15. AZQKR

AZQKR Long timer

Oddometer:
    Why would you care where a quality product is made, if it's quality you seek?
    Many of my bmw bikes parts were made in China, should I not ride/use a bmw as well?
    Madman4049 likes this.
  16. davenowherejones

Oddometer:
    Honda all the way.
  17. Madman4049

Oddometer:
    You do you bud, you come off like a grumpy old bigot with a narrow mind. Big Agnes routinely comes at the top of gear reviews from people who actually go there and do it with things like mountaineering, ultralight backpacking and thru-hiking. They are at the top of the spectrum of high end technical gear and they use the best and therefore sometimes most expensive materials available to achieve what they do. I had one a $700 2 man ultralight tent of theirs with fabric so thin you could see through the damn tarp and it packed about 14"x4" at 3lbs with stakes, poles, fly, groundsheet, and tent. I put that sucker to the test multiple times and worst of all was insane winds and driving rain at the top of a ridge in a storm so hard you couldn't see 10' in front of you when it wasn't lightning which wasn't often. Tent took it like a boss and I honestly shouldn't have been there but it was exciting and I couldn't walk down from the adrenaline rush. I guarantee you one thing that "cheap foreign tent" outperformed every Murican tent brand I've had in the past and I've had a lot of freakin damn tents in my backpacking life, but hey man I'm not gonna preach anymore you got everything figured out already. ;)
    rd400racer, SebRex13 and AZQKR like this.
  18. davenowherejones

Oddometer:
    I want a bear proof tent, a grizzly bear proof tent and a polar bear proof tent.
  19. Madman4049

Oddometer:
    LOL right, or Harley, most of the Jap Bikes, alot of the Euro ones, parts from China, Mexico, etc. Automobiles too, laundry machines, appliances, half our food, clothing, electronics, etc. Guess we should all just stop doing anything and move underground, don't want to support them damn commies hurr hurr durr let's just negatively impact our lives. LOL such narrow minded people in the world it cracks me the fu$% up sometimes. That's like making a youtube video or facebook post saying you're done buying Nike or Under Armour, :thumbup two thumbs up for you neither of them give a shit they still makin billions without you.

Bet he thinks Harley is an all Amurican made bike with all it's parts made in Murica just like his fridge, stove, or the computer he's typing on. Them durn commies got their damn hands in everything I tell ya, world's goin to hell bllurrrghg. LOL
    AZQKR likes this.
  20. david61

david61 Queue, a word with 4 silent letters....

Oddometer:
    Well, the "made in China" thing is a whole different argument, and I'm not going there.

I'm not anti Big Agnes per se, just the design of so many modern tents that [ in my view ] have way too many seams/panels/zips/mesh and so on, they really are complicated little designs. All with the aim of course of maximum space, minimum weight blah blah, but the more you use it, pack it up, transport it and all the rest, the sooner it will fail. I've had many over the years that have all ended in disappointment, so now it's a simple 10 x 10 tarp or a Trailstar, with a bug-bivi underneath it.

How many panels and joins in the tent below? Only the inner as well.

I enjoy acres of room, a little bit of thinking on how you set it up, [ 1 or 2 poles, 5 or 6 pegs, it's NOT hard ] and just jamming back in bag and not stressing about looking after it, but each to their own....

[​IMG]