Tents Without Vestibules

Discussion in 'Camping Toys' started by Jamie Z, Jan 12, 2020.

1. Jamie Z

Jamie Z I'm serious. Supporter

Oddometer:
    I just got back on a motorcycle after a 5-year hiatus, and I'm refitting my camping gear.

I'm looking for a two-man, packable tent that doesn't have a vestibule. Tents without vestibules seem to be really hard to find nowadays.

I've got a couple of older, vestible-free tents, one Eureka, the other REI, but they both pack kind of big, and wouldn't be great on the bike.

IMG_0751.JPG

Somebody please point me in the direction where I can get a tent without a vestibule.

Jamie
  2. Motopsychoman

Motopsychoman Not a total poseur Supporter

Oddometer:
    2 season? 3 season? 3+ season? Freestanding? Price range?

I'm still using a Eureka Timberline II for MC camping, vestibule optional. I put the vestibule on when the weather is bad. Yes the T2 is fairly big and heavy, but waterproof and virtually indestructible. My biggest complaint though is the pole length when packed.

Just curious why you don't want a vestibule? They are useful for stowing gear.

What about gull-wing vestibules like on the older Apex 2 or 2A?
    Just poking around the REI website it looked like there are a number of tents without vestibules, like Black Diamond.
  3. Jamie Z

Oddometer:
    Good questions. I'm surprised I wasn't more thorough.

I'm looking for a 3-season, fully free-standing tent. Price range... under $400. Really, I'd have a hard time spending more than about $250 for a tent, unless it was really amazing, so I could stretch my budget a bit if I found something like that. My priorities are small pack size, durability, simple set-up, good ventilation, and middle light weight.

I've ended up with a couple of tents with vestibules, and I've never used the vestibule for anything. I bring what I need for the night inside with me. My gear is either with me in the tent, or stowed away in my cases on my bike. The vestibule ends up getting in the way.

I spent quite a bit of time looking on the REI site for tents without a vestibule and never saw a single one. The Black Diamond tents are all pretty specialized mountaineering tents, very tightly sealed, and expensive. They really don't suit my needs for motorcycle travel.

Jamie
    tb2040g and Hannda like this.
  4. Jamie Z

Oddometer:
    Without a vestibule? Maybe it's an older one. All the MSR tents shown on the site come with vestibules. They're nice tents. Yeah... you can roll the vestibule back out of the way... but that defeats part of the purpose of my not having a vestibule in the first place. No reason to have that extra material, and it makes setting up and tearing down more time consuming.

hmmm, that gives me an idea. Could I just take the rainfly and cut the vestibule material off into a traditional rainfly shape? I might have to hem the edge, but that might work.

Jamie
    95Monster likes this.
  5. PeterW

PeterW Long timer

Oddometer:
    eBay and lower your price expectation by a factor of 10.
    tgeliot and RG1984 like this.
  6. Cam

Cam Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  7. E-luke

E-luke Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Just go the Kelty TN2 and be done with it;) Two stakes extra than no vestibule. Packs small and light and it’s QUICK to setup — like 2 minutes.
  8. mb289

mb289 2 Wheels Welding LLC Supporter

Oddometer:
    I've had a REI Camp Dome for years. It's a great little tent, packs small and no vestibules.
    GPD323 likes this.
  9. Motopsychoman

Motopsychoman Not a total poseur Supporter

Oddometer:
    I often just leave my boots and airbag vest laying around in the vestibule. When I'm soaked, I leave the jacket and pants there as well. Keeps the inside of the tent a bit cleaner.
    It's nice to be able to put my gear on in the vestibule when it is raining, snowing or there is a sand storm outside.

The only issue with some of the lower priced tents, like the the Tetragon HD 2 might be packed length. The poles break down to 24" long sections. Also, for additional weight savings, aluminum poles would be the way to go so you might add that to your criteria.

Have you checked put the backpacking gear reviews? Might find something there.
  10. Amphib

Amphib A mind is like a parachute....

Oddometer:
  11. SilentRay

SilentRay Hold my beer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Check out Rtwdoug's ktm 500 build thread for a good review on Big Agness Copper Spur HV UL bike packing tent . The vestibule is optional and the poles are only 12" ,I believe. Only thing is its like $469 !
  12. Johnny Kilo

Johnny Kilo Sumbeotch

Oddometer:
    I have the Eureka in your picture and have been motorcycle tripping with it since 2010. Buddy has the same one. I don't have an issue with the size with my 800GS but I pack relatively light as a rule so I am typically not maxed out.

John
    Hannda and Jamie Z like this.
  13. Jamie Z

Oddometer:
    Yeah, it was a great tent. I used it for years, and then it finally started coming apart. I wish they made an updated model.

I replaced it with an REI Camp Dome that mb recommended, below. It packs a little long, though.
    I'm pretty sure that's the tent I have now. I like it. It might be what I end up using, but the pack size is just a bit too long to fit in my cases.
    Awesome, thanks for the links. Looks like some good options there.

I've looked at that tent. I like it. I don't like the UL part, as they use a thinner material to save weight and pack space for bicycling use. I'll go back and have a look at their offerings and see if they have something that's a little more durable, but with the same functionality (and no vestibule). I like the short poles!

Jamie
  14. phreakingeek

phreakingeek adventurer Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'm just the opposite...I've always had and liked a vestibule and my new tent doesnt have one. So I'm back to looking at tents again to find one that meets all the other criteria but does have a vestibule to keep my boots and bags under cover overnight.
  15. E-luke

E-luke Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Again — kelty TN2 is $160 and has 14inch poles, weighs under 3lbs.

haha
  16. Jamie Z

Oddometer:
  17. Schmokel

Schmokel Key to Happiness: Low Expectations

Oddometer:
    Yea, $400 is really high. I paid something like $180 with two vestibules. I'd imagine without them would be even less?
  18. E-luke

E-luke Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  19. boulet_boulet

boulet_boulet Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    And according to REI the pack weight is closer to 5lbs.

I have a very similar Marmot Limelight 2P and like it a lot, but the vestibules do add a bit to the setup time and complexity and the amount of wriggling to get out for that midnight pee. Hard to stay half asleep after you have been birthed on gravel by a tent.
    DirtyOldMan likes this.
  20. Jamie Z

Oddometer:
    And what model is your new tent?