tents

Discussion in 'Australia' started by ozbikedude, Mar 5, 2010.

1. gunnabuild1

gunnabuild1 Long timer

Oddometer:
  2. duckslider

duckslider unintentionaldrifter

Oddometer:
    Ordered this today. ..$175 delivered(40% off) Oztrail Easyfold stretcher tent.Sleeping area 200cm x 80cm.:-) Quite heavy at 12.5 kg,and packed length is 104cm.
    But it's 'easy peasy' set up and pack up! :clap.......so don't care.:thumb
    [​IMG]
    GodSilla likes this.
  3. Bulldust

Bulldust Bulldust

Oddometer:
  4. GSbyname

GSbyname Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Exped Venus II Extreme. $$$, but mine has done Chile, Argentina, most of Oz, over 8 or 9 years.
    <3kg, packs small, fits 2 with bike gear.
    Corinna, Tas, October last year.

Attached Files:

5. bigborett

bigborett Hipster Supporter

Oddometer:
    So it is over a metre long packed and weighs about the same as 18 litres of fuel.

That is an adventure tent right there.
    GodSilla, Turumarth and theMISSIONARY like this.
  6. duckslider

duckslider unintentionaldrifter

Oddometer:
    Whatever..DGAF!...Quick,easy set up and comfort. :D Pack gear lengthways ....no prob.:thumb
    Andrew2 likes this.
  7. Bounty1

Bounty1 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    https://www.macpac.com.au/equipment...cpac-minaret-hiking-tent/114087-KWI00-OS.html

I have used this tent since 1991 for ski touring, mountaineering, bushwalking, bicycle touring and of course ADV riding. The low profile makes putting on motorcycling trousers a bit of a wrestling match but for one person it has been fantastic shelter. A little heavy at 2.4 kg but very weatherproof and quick to erect and pack up.
    theMISSIONARY likes this.
  8. Overanalyze

Overanalyze because when given the option, I will overthink it

Oddometer:
    Funny as just looking at that tent for its sturdiness. Especially during wind/rain. Expensive is right. Did you consider the vestibule as well for keeping wet/muddy gear out of the tent?
  9. GodSilla

GodSilla I did that.

Oddometer:
    That wooden base looks a bit heavy. :lol2
  10. GodSilla

GodSilla I did that.

Oddometer:
    I lost a Kathmandhu Expedition tent in the bushfires, a true 4-season jobbie that I last saw for sale late last century at $1180 RRP.

Yep, they weren't cheap, but at Phillip Island one year when a Friday night storm took out 95% of the campsite before dawn, a handful of these suckers just sat there and didn't even flex in the howling gale like the other survivors did. They are bulletproof.

So a few weeks ago I am helping the late great @Gwilli's kids sort his biking stuff out and lo and behold! - there's another one, same colour and all, in his camping kit, so I grabbed it. I pulled it out a few days ago to check it out, the tent is in absolutely perfect condition but somewhere in the nightmare that is his garage live the poles. :fpalm Next visit eh.
    Overanalyze likes this.
  11. 3legs

3legs Real men ride sidecars Supporter

Oddometer:
    Geez that is bloody expensive. Love to know what makes them hundreds of dollars more expensive that other good quality tents of the same size.

I've got one of the Oztrail stretcher tents and they are quite good. Very comfortable but the cold can come up through the base from the ground. Sea to summit mat fixes that normally.

One of the advantages of riding a sidecar so size and weight is not a problem for me :D
  12. farcall

farcall Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yes, I did buy the vestibule but it was a chore to put up.

Turns out, back at the time of posting, I was an undiagnosed tent whore. :D

Sold the BD some years ago, bought and sold an Exped Venus II and now have owned a Hilleberg Nammatj 2 for the last 4 or 5yrs. Can't fault it and can't see me selling it for another... seems my whoring days are behind me.
    Overanalyze likes this.
  13. Suncoaster

Suncoaster Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Where the girls are green and the grass is pretty.
    Phillip Island - what an in-tents place.

IMG_20200228_182042.jpg
    I had an $80 Oztrail Hiker 2 dome tent (I like to be able to sit up)
    which withstood the Sunday night rain and wind at this year's Superbikes.
    Overanalyze likes this.
  14. wi11iamson

wi11iamson Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Looking for a pole repair kit in K-Mart, about $10, found this on the next shelf. Usually $45, but somebody had marked 2/3rd off a range of camping gear.

[​IMG]

What the heck, how cheap can tent be? At $15, who cares if it only lasts one night?

Nine years, and twenty nights camping later, it's still in good nick, it'll see out my camping days. It is my choice these days, the tent and fly roll-up tight, poles fit in the top box or panniers, plenty of room to carry whatever I need for a week nights, will probably take it on my Oz Lap.
    Overanalyze and Suncoaster like this.
  15. GodSilla

GodSilla I did that.

Oddometer:
    I bought a $20 2-man (allegedly) at Anacunta on impulse, I used it a couple of times then BoySilla used it for the duration of a Lake Gairdener trip, then it did duty as a cheapo backup rally tent that didn't matter - I got around 7 years worth for my $20. It eventually died at a rally from shit zips and cheapo mesh.
    Suncoaster likes this.
  16. Overanalyze

Oddometer:
    I spoke to a fellow I know in the outdoor business i.e. he owned eight stores selling this kit. He was not enamored with the tent because as a four season, condensation will accumulate inside during warmer weather. As well, he stated the technology is old because the poles are pushed thru the material as opposed to "clipping on" as Hubba Hubba and many others do. The point is that when the material is wet, getting the pole out will be tricky as you have to push it, can't pull cause it separates and will pinch the fabric. The tent is one piece and the fabric is high tech, so that plus marketing drive the price. However, as per one of the others that has written from Australia, this tent appears to be bulletproof so in high winds, it will be the business.
    3legs likes this.
  17. Overanalyze

Oddometer:
    Thanks that was helpful.
  18. AUSSIEADV

AUSSIEADV 2wo left foots

Oddometer:
    Zempire Mono, 1.35kg, $150, New Zealand tent.

B248020E-F967-4E74-9E5D-445CC13BA4BA.jpeg 53E7D957-834C-4E8E-A8A3-87AE48879E36.jpeg

<iframe title="vimeo-player" src="" width="640" height="360" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
    XRkeg likes this.
  19. Redback

Redback Average aussie bloke

Oddometer:
    I bought the Vango Galaxy for the same reason I wanted a tent so I could stand in or if the weather turns you can use it for cooking or just sitting around, and I can sit in the bed section without being cramped, used it a few times now and love it and at 5.5kg it packs up quite small and a bargain at $350.
  20. LivingdeadCamo

LivingdeadCamo Long timer

Oddometer: