tents

Discussion in 'Australia' started by ozbikedude, Mar 5, 2010.

1. dzl

dzl adventurer wannabe

Oddometer:
    Have a look at this also. I have one of these, which is similar to the others you are looking at

https://www.snowys.com.au/grasshopper-ul2-hiking-tent#reviews?pagenumber=1

mine is about 10 years old. They have updated various parts on latest model but is essentially the same. Not only one of the lightest but when packed is one of the shortest at 45cm which was important as I wanted to store it in my rear bag easily and not have it strapped externally on the bike. Has performed well in torrential downpours/ severe wind when using helinox alloy tent pegs. the pegs that come with it from memory were just standard alloy pegs which are made of cheese, which most of the tents come with standard?
    LivingdeadCamo likes this.
  2. BurnieM

BurnieM Long timer

Oddometer:
  3. saltyD

saltyD Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    If you're happy with the kmart dome - like me, you obviously like to save the $$ - then try one of these. https://www.snowys.com.au/nomad-2-hike-tent

I'm not happy with the 'inner screen first' pitching method (which so many tent designs seem to suffer from), but looking at doing some minor mods to it so I can pitch with fly first, or fly-only.

Also may replace the cheapo fibreglass poles with some carbon arrow shafts to save weight.

At first inspection pitching in the back yard, its pretty good bang-for-buck.
    ozcruiser and LivingdeadCamo like this.
  4. GSDane

GSDane Ride like a girl

Oddometer:
    I just bought the Elixir 1 a couple of months ago as a replacement for my well old used 1-person tent.

I am very happy with the Elixir 1…
    - VERY spacious in both sitting height and width (same width all the way down… as in now narrow foot end)
    - quite large vestibule area
    - it comes with a footprint… you can use this in combination with the rainfly alone - making your packing even more lightweight and your sleep more airy :lol2 Here used in this setup… red stuff inside is my sleeping mat on top of the footprint:
    P4260399.JPG

One thing to remember… the description does say 'freestanding' - yes, but the rainfly does need 3 pegs to stay out away from the inner tent :augie

My words are from the 1-person edition... but I assume that it will adhere to the 2-person as well.
    Cheers, Dorthe.
    Kiwirich and LivingdeadCamo like this.
  5. Steppy

Steppy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Had a couple over the years. IMG_0252.JPG In Darwin on a lap of Oz.

007 2nd night 21km past Sandstone 1.JPG
    Near Sandstone WA on the way to Mt Augustas.
    theMISSIONARY likes this.
  6. Idratherberiding

Idratherberiding my KTM 950 Adventure!

Oddometer:
    :lol3
    I like the tin tent in the background!
    numbat likes this.