tents

Discussion in 'Australia' started by ozbikedude, Mar 5, 2010.

1. neilaction

neilaction Slightly Less Adventurous

Oddometer:
    $US650 :eek1 :eek1 :eek1 Your not wrong its expensive. :eek1
  2. farcall

farcall Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yeah baby. Crazy money for sure. But the pain only lasts a little while though :D .

I never try to justify the cost to myself... coz I can't. But I do know that this tent plays its part in me getting a warm nights sleep in sub-zero central Oz nights. Big difference as to how I'm gunna feel during the next days ride.
  3. TrappedAtWork

TrappedAtWork No Longer Trapped!

Oddometer:
    I went with the Coleman Avior 2.

Once you are laying down and you have your gear inside there is not a lot of room. There is an Avior 3 which is a larger, that is probably the one to get.

I like it because it is an "outer pitch first" style tent, great for putting it up in the rain.

[​IMG]
  4. ozbikedude

ozbikedude Long timer

Oddometer:
    have you put it up yet if so how easy/hard was it and how long did it take?
  5. quick_not_fast

quick_not_fast Lurking postie thrasher

Oddometer:
    I have a Mantis 2 that I picked up off the throwout table at Anaconda.

Pitch time depends on how much shelter you need. If you want to go the whole hog and guy out the fly, expect to spend a bit longer than average putting it up. It's a beaut tent though. Plenty of ventilation, big vestibules and it packs pretty small. One end slopes quite gradually, so if you're over 6 foot you won't be able to lie straight without your nose propping up one wall. I haven't tested it in the wet yet.

Have fun with yours! :D
  6. eRRmmm

eRRmmm Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I've had an Avior 3 for 6 months or so, only used it 3 times, but one of them it rained for 12 hours non-stop so that was a good test. Some condensation in the morning but no leaks. Bit of a review from another inmate here.

I got mine off ebay, price was good. It's big enough but not a 3 man tent, unless the three men are a bit more than just friends.... with my mattress/bag, all my riding gear, rack bag and food etc spread out it's full.

It is quick to put up - the instructions say to put the outer up first then the inner - I left them attached and pulled it down/put it up as one unit - seemed to work fine. Two poles, colour coded. Needs 3 guy ropes to keep it up though. It has reflective guy ropes and logo on the tent - good if you don't want people driving over you in their Landcruisers at night - bad if you want to stealth camp near a highway.

One design fault (if I'd seen it in a store rather than ebay I prob wouldn't have bought it because of this) - the side door zips meet near the floor of the tent. There is a small gap where they meet - big enough for an inquisitive 4 foot brown snake to find it's way in. I'll be duct taping over it, but it would be better design to have the zips meet at the top of the tent somehow.

I'm happy with it, but it's not perfect. It won't last 10 years, but at the price it's almost a disposable item after a few years anyway.
  7. warnabrother

warnabrother .. if you see the Rozzers

Oddometer:
    Hi my name is Warnabrother and I am a tentaholic :D

I have too many tents to list them all here (my wife works in the hiking/camping industry) but the ONE tent that I/we always tend to favour is our Exped Aries Mesh..

Swiss quality, lightweight 2.2kg (2.25kg with footprint), very stable in strong winds, 100% waterproof (got stuck in it in a NZ storm for the whole day), roomy 2 person with great front vestibule, optional footprint is fantastic, can be pitched 3 ways i.e. full tent, inner only or footprint and fly, poles attach on fly (easy to pitch in rain) and generally a bloody fantastic tent.. for the small extra cost over the Black Wolf's etc it's worth every cent.. oh and it has a very clever bag that makes packing it a breeze..

The pic below is not mine.. it's the quickest I could find..

[​IMG]

http://www.exped.com/exped/web/exped_homepage_int.nsf/0/BFD7131F6D609D33C12572A000556BA3?opendocument
  8. wandererjim5

wandererjim5 CornerGrinner

Oddometer:
    :Midgies:gun1 -Little Biteing Fly Type of Buggers? They walk through FlyScreens! Well I coated my Fly Screen with my Jacket Water Proofing stuff? No more Midgies!! I don't have a problem now.
    :pegs. When packing-up. Remove them before the Tent. Easy to find. Hey done this for years just thought I'd Pop-in and make life .... ?:wink: ?
  9. WestOzKLX

WestOzKLX Elsie with Allspeeds

Oddometer:
    Stealth Bivy by Black Wolf. Minimalist I know but it works fine.
    <object width="640" height="505"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/rfk1wG8j580&hl=en_US&fs=1&rel=0&color1=0xe1600f&color2=0xfebd01"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/rfk1wG8j580&hl=en_US&fs=1&rel=0&color1=0xe1600f&color2=0xfebd01" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="505"></embed></object>
  10. Woody2627

Woody2627 Grey Wobbler

Oddometer:
    Many moons ago I bought a Southern Cross tent new, first outing the floor leaked. Rang Southern Cross to complain, and the first thing she said was "Did you put a tarp under it?", which I had. She said use shade cloth, and I haven't had a leak since. Only trouble is shade cloth is a bit heavier than a tarp, but certainly works better. Otherwise, ditch the tarp, you will probably find the tent floor stops leaking.
  11. Maccaoz

Maccaoz Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Interesting idea.I will give it a try.
    How shade cloth on WET ground and saturated grass can stop moisture wicking through the tent bottom is :dunno
    I could put the tent up in the back yard and try it tonight(its wet enough)but I'm not:lol3
  12. cain

cain Who me?

Oddometer:
    MSR hubba hubba 2 man. Light, warm, removable fly, packs up nice and small. The best part is you can virtually stuff it back into its bag. None of this spending 15mins trying to roll it up all tiny to find you didn't quite roll it up tiny enough. Not cheap but you get what you pay for.
  13. LeglessOne

LeglessOne Long timer

Oddometer:
    Haven't spent more than 50 bucks on a tent for the bike.Get those cheap arse 3 man ones from rays.That way when I'm pissed and stumble in if i stuff the poles or zips who gives a shit.:freaky :lol3

Only gone through 3 in the last 10 or so years.

Shane
  14. smiley mark

smiley mark smiley

Oddometer:

Yep! thats what I do!
  15. TrappedAtWork

TrappedAtWork No Longer Trapped!

Oddometer:
    I agree with these comments. I forgot to mention, I was in a massive thunderstorm in Mundubbera in January. It rained about 50mm in 20 minutes then drizzled all night, I was really impressed with the fact I as nice and dry in the morning.
  16. CJ Burns Esq

CJ Burns Esq Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I bought one of those camoflage Black Wolf thingo's.http://blackwolf.com.au/adventure1000078/stealth-bivy/

I put it up and then I couldn't find it..........................

Seriously, the GF and I just purchased a Black Wolf Expedition after our last interim tent leaked at the TTT.:freaky
    http://blackwolf.com.au/adventure1000078/expedition/
    Reason for the size is two people plus gear and an alcove for muddy boots etc. This one seems to have gotten good reports to date.:deal
    We will see how it goes and report back later.
  17. lentil

lentil King of the Dad Joke and Senior Status Legume Super Moderator

Oddometer:
    :poser:poser:poser
  18. Brocksamoyed

Brocksamoyed Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hi,

Has anyone got any feedback on the Black Wolf Grasshopper tent. It is free standing which is a big plus against the Mantis II and has more head room.

Thanks
  19. BUZZ44

BUZZ44 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Just spent almost 3 weeks in a REI tent ;http://www.rei.com/
    Its there 3man but thats what we needed for 2 of us and gear. We added a tarp for protection from the rain for cooking and a bit more room to put all the bags and stuff, enough to up everything from the bike.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  20. neilaction

neilaction Slightly Less Adventurous

Oddometer:
    Good point. :deal

Something I didn't consider but maybe should have. :lol3