tents

Discussion in 'Australia' started by ozbikedude, Mar 5, 2010.

1. jimkat

jimkat jim

Oddometer:
    Thats a great idea with the tarp.
    I have a silver/black one of about the same size and carry a bit of light rope to be able to string it between 2 trees. Takes up next to no room when its folded up and I put it on the rear part of the seat so it protects that aswell.
    Good thing about the silver /black one is that if I wish to have a bit of a sleep in, in the morning it cuts out most of the sun.
    Also you don't get the dew on ya tent which can be a pain when you need to pack up in the morn.
  2. cautiousbob

cautiousbob struggling along

Oddometer:
    I also bought a blackwolf mantis 2. i have not yet put it to use (other than test run), but bought it on sale. i have had two blackwolf turbo tents in the past and i love them (still got one).

i am 184cm so was surprised to find the mantis 2 a bit short in the length. there seems to be lots of room behind my head when my face is touching the sloping wall, but maybe that's because i have a big nose. i thought maybe a bag shoved up there behind my head would create a bit more nose room.

the size of the tent packed is great. i think its 420mm long and about 180mm diameter.
  3. sidetrack one

sidetrack one Chief Tiddler Supporter

Oddometer:
    Well this thread got me going again, even tho I have seven tents and two swags!:rofl I nearly pulled the pin on a black wolf, got one of them, nice, but Hunstas 3 year recommendation sent me off in search of a Backpacker, pleasant suprise! Craig told me his only had one entrance but the Oztrail website showed different:deal
    I had to order one in, got it yesterday,looks good
    Here it is fully enclosed

Attached Files:

4. sidetrack one

Oddometer:
    now heres the bit I really like, as i get older and its harder to crawl in and out of tents, I can now access the inside very easily, basically just step in and drop!Also very easy to get the sleeping mat and bag and assorted stuff in

Attached Files:

5. sidetrack one

Oddometer:
    And of course its got that neat little vestibule on the end for your boots, theres also another entry at the other end!
    Packs up nice and small in its own drybag, think I;ll be happy, know next week after ten nihgts in it!:evil
    $110 at the moment, on special

Attached Files:

6. AusGoFar

AusGoFar get back on that horse

Oddometer:
    CamoKTM's cool tent solution for a snug night in the snow

Attached Files:

7. BUZZ44

BUZZ44 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    At least you have the good old blue tarp on the bottom....very four seasions:evil :evil

<TABLE class=tborder border=0 cellSpacing=1 cellPadding=4 width="100%" align=center><TBODY><TR title="Post 12467925" vAlign=top><TD class=alt1 width=125 align=middle>sidetrack bob</TD><TD class=alt2>And of course its got that neat little vestibule on the end for your boots, theres also another entry at the other end!
    Packs up nice and small in its own drybag, think I;ll be happy, know next week after ten nihgts in it!:evil
    $110 at the moment, on special
    </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Lets hope it dosen't rain as everytime you get in or out of the tent the inside will get wet:1drink
  8. kezzajohnson

kezzajohnson kezza

Oddometer:
  9. Dukehunt

Dukehunt Lost in Translation Nev 2.0 Super Moderator

Oddometer:
    i noticed that they changed the poles to High-tensile Durallium™ 7001 alloy poles as the old ones broke within minutes of erecting the SWAG. good move by them, I might give them a call and get some new ones for my swag.
  10. wandererjim5

wandererjim5 CornerGrinner

Oddometer:
    As a Global Explorer I learnt in the Antarctic that Permafrost rises up through everything! We have Thermal Blankets (those Ali-Foil lined ground sheets) Place that on the Floor inside your tent. If really cold another over the top of your inner tent under the Fly or Top sheet. Remember to ventilate well though. I have heated a tent this way with just a lantern. <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>
    Don’t forget your Bike over night Al Foil the bottom of the engine. Or gentle warmth with a cooker before starting. Runs better. You may have to pour warm water over the Fuel line if you haven’t insulated it... off Topic sorry. Jim. pm me for more info on Survival on the ice...<o:p></o:p>
  11. Lee Gunn

Lee Gunn Long timer

Oddometer:
    Gee Tasty's Bigjim - I always thought those silver thermal blankets were a bit of a joke - might pull them out of storage and give them a try when we go camping over winter. Great tip thanks
  12. Mouse

Mouse I'm only smelly

Oddometer:
    which is why every ambulance carries one up here afaik - use 'em to help prevent shock.

i have a vague memory they use them in icu as well - but i was struggling to remember anything from icu... i may have been hallucinating :scratch

try wrapping yourself in one for half an hour and tell us if it works - better still post the photo :thumb
  13. Ultralights

Ultralights Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Wilderness equipment Second Arrow. 3kg.
    5 seasons. 8000mmPu waterproof rating whatever that means, tested to 100Mph Winds. double skinned.

best thing i love about it is the ventilation, opens both ends for good flow through breeze, nothing worse than sweating your arse off all night with no way of getting relief.
  14. GodSilla

GodSilla I did that.

Oddometer:
    I used a 3 pole dome for 14 years or so, the extra pole kept the tent's integrity in some howling storms at PI when most others with 2 poles ended up as soggy paddock ornaments. I eventually left it there when the cotton parts rotted.:lol3

These days I've got a Kathmandu jobbie, I don't think they are available anymore like the one I bought. They were $1160 recommended retail (:eek1) but I got mine at one of their sales at 60% off for around $440.

Pros:

It has multiple poles (can't remember how many) which have multiple crossover points, which means it is virtually impossible for it to get blown down. It is one stable piece of kit, good for 4 seasons. Internal storage mesh pockets the entire length of the interior walls. Goes up relatively easily. rated at 3 - 4 person, ideal for just me, I have used it for 2 people as well (my missus, you perverts!) and it's fine. Entrances at both ends. Freestands very well without the guy ropes (I'm lazy too).

Cons:

The entry is restrictive, and as an older fart I find it annoying having to crawl into it. It weighs a bit too (4 - 5 kg?), and doesn't pack up small. Prolly not an issue on a GS, but I don't carry it on my singles, that's just my preferences. Overpriced to buggery at rec. retail. Prolly no longer available (and there's the showstopper :lol3).

It is a great piece of kit. :thumb
  15. Lee Gunn

Lee Gunn Long timer

Oddometer:
    I remember when they were first available on the market - we gave my lovely Dad one for christmas. He used it instead of taking the sleeping bag on his camping trip - he froze poor love.
  16. weelz

weelz Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Picked up a coleman exponent avior3(?) for $50 today!!!

3-man light tent reduced from $269. Happy camper.

All Hiking tents $50 -heaps of outerlimits 1 and 2 man left -BCF virginia, Brisbane northside.
  17. alburyscott

alburyscott Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    WOW thats cheap. I will have to go to our bcf and have a look
  18. ozbikedude

ozbikedude Long timer

Oddometer:
    dmh outdoors,anyone have the huon (t67)two man tent,what do you think??
  19. Cruz

Cruz Lost but laughing.

Oddometer:
    Picked up the Outer Limits Backerpacker 2 from BCF Keperra for $50 on Thursday. They had the BLack Wolf Bivvy bag and the Outer Limits One man tent for $50 each as well.
  20. The Other JC

The Other JC Lurking since 2004..

Oddometer:
    I just used the Grasshopper for a 32 day trip round WA. Great little tent*.
    I chose this tent for the packed size to fit inside BMW panniers + free standing + good price ($249 eBay) . The poles fit right across the pannier, and you can fold the tent to sit upright in the pannier. Fold the tent lengthways in quarters and roll, rather than thirds - it still fits in the bag.
    It also has pockets in the 'ceiling' if you like, so I stashed a little LED lamp up there for lighting.
    I used shadecloth underneath, but still got some damp through, though I also use a SuperCheap Auto picnic blanket on the floor. Stops all damp getting through to me!.
    I did not use the extra guide ropes to secure the tent, just the four corner pegs. Even in strong wind it was OK - 16th March - very windy on west coast. Tent had no issue with pegging. Used extra guide ropes for hanging washing!
    Its not a long tent, at 5'9" I only had a couple of inches at each end spare.
    Its not a high tent, sitting cross legged my head touched the ceiling.
    *The only issue I have with the tent is when the wind blows in a dusty site, the fine dust/sand gets through the mesh. I had two nights in such conditions, the second - (16th march) - I did not unpack anything, just wrapped myself in the camping blanket and huddled down, plenty of sand in the tent in the morning. see below.

[​IMG]

Small pannier: tent, sleeping bag, cotton inner sleeve, sleeping mat, picnic blanket/tent floor mat. Small hammer for pegs.
    [​IMG]
    Sand in tent after rough night. Wrapped cloth round receiving end, still plenty of sand got in.
    [​IMG]