tents

Discussion in 'Australia' started by ozbikedude, Mar 5, 2010.

1. ohiodualsporter

ohiodualsporter Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I just ordered a Quechua 2" XL 3 man tent. Does anyone have any experience with those...
  2. Matt

Matt Dirt Virgin

Oddometer:
    I got a Coleman Avior X3 (i think that's what it's called) cheaply as they are running them out.

Glad I got the X3 not the X2 as it's not real roomy and I'm buggered if I know how the hell you'd get three people in it....:huh

Quick to put up and take down and packs up pretty small - I have a waterproof duffle that has tent, sleeping bag, lilo (yes the old fashioned blow up type), small rubber mallet and a couple of other small things in it which sits nicely across the seat.

Here it is at 90 Mile beach:

[​IMG]
  3. Heffalump

Heffalump n00b

Oddometer:
    Bought one of these a few years ago for the big trip, which was canned at the last minute. Only tested it for a few nights in the backyard but seems a fairly good tent. Very compact packed size fits into the top of my Krauser panniers.
    As with any of these 2 man hiking tents, two people inside are either going to be very friendly by morning or enemies. Not a lot of room for gear inside.
    They now make a 3 man called the Derwent in the same style which I think i will get soon.

Nev
  4. Baloo

Baloo Itinerant jackass Supporter

Oddometer:
    I cover the waterfront in Norfolk Virginia.
    [​IMG]
  5. paddyhannen

paddyhannen Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Have a look at the SAS bivouac pouches available from some army surplus and also KITBAG in perth. We swapped out the biker swags for them, Run 2 50mm self inflating matresses inside plus 2 -5 deg sleeping bags, totally waterproof and rolls up into a 180mm OD roll with no fuss.
  6. KevS69

KevS69 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I just had a look on the Kitbag website, man they have some good gear, but I couldn't find the SAS Bivouac stuff you referred to, could you please post the link
  7. ozbikedude

ozbikedude Long timer

Oddometer:
    thanks for all the replys and advice,i went for the huon t67 by dmh.It has enough room for me easely got it for $132 bought it from a local shop (main reason i bought it)i like to shop local if i can (i usually find out the price on the net then look local )if they come close to the price i get it if i know the price is abit high some times i still get it(a least i know i am getting ripped)cheers aub.
  8. neilaction

neilaction Slightly Less Adventurous

Oddometer:
    As a foot note, the Mantis II is a lot smaller than I thought it would be.
    No idea how they can call it a 2 man when it was barely a 1 man.
    (and I'm practically a dwarf) :lol3

It did the job and it packed up quite small and fits neatly in my saddle bags but I wouldn't recommend it. :1drink

I reckom it would be a pain in the arse if the weather went to putty.

9. Chappa

Chappa Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hi guys I'm new to adventure riding have been a trail rider for years. I prefer a swag as I find them warmer as most riding is in Vic high country. Can any one suggest a good compact swag as my current swag is way too bulky to carry on a bike or should I be looking for a small tent
  10. SEPTIC12666

SEPTIC12666 Adventurer

Oddometer:
  11. SEPTIC12666

SEPTIC12666 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Mine worked well at Phillip island for the GP.

[​IMG]
  12. obe01

obe01 Wannabe Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hey Chappa, the advantage of the tent option is you can get most of ya gear out of the weather if it happens to turn bad over night. If you are only doing an overnighter and you know the weather is going to behave itself then a small swag is great, quick and easy..
    I you go down the tent option I strongly suggest a small 2 person at least. Gives ya a bit of room to secure all ya gear if you head away from your site. Out of sight out of mind, if you know what I mean.
    Anaconda and BCF have good sales from time to time for tents and as for small swags I do know of guys that have had them made because most of the swags on the market are far too big. Having said that I did find a small swag in a Cash Converters the other day amongst the camping gear. Should have bought it, bugger...
    Hope this is of some help mate.
    Oh yeah, Welcome to the Forum mate. Heaps of top people on here mate that will help ya out with anything ya need to know.
    Cheers,
    Johnnie
  13. bully1

bully1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have all sorts of setups. I have a Swagman Bike swag and several tents. The combination that I prefer is actually a $30 tent, Andy Strapz mattress and a 0 degree sleeping bag, will pack up a lot smaller than a swag and will keep boots, helmet, gloves and jacket out of the weather.
    [​IMG]
  14. hahnelw

hahnelw Just Mapping Another Ride

Oddometer:
    Black Wolf Hornet

Originally bought the Coleman Avior X2 but found it was good quality but too small to move around in and to keep my gear out of the rain.

This one is a beauty. Nice and light, easy to set up and lots of room. Photos are taken on a trip to Holey Plain which is down near Rosedale in Gippsland Victoria.

Cheers

WH

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  15. aussie ttoad

aussie ttoad T.T.O.A.D

Oddometer:
    I have a vango 200+ which is a great tent, it is light weight, has a huge vestibule, and strong enough for PI. I could not be happier with it, wish I had one years ago. :D
  16. nazza

nazza Trouble Supporter

Oddometer:
    Mine a Blackwolf Mantis 2 man. Its one I had already for hiking so it very light, has an entry and small vestibule on each side. Easy to put up. For one person its great, although only sitting height (just). Can fit most of my gear inside if its just me. For two people its squishy, no room for gear and you really have to like each other. :wink:
  17. Dukehunt

Dukehunt Lost in Translation Nev 2.0 Super Moderator

Oddometer:
    Vango Omega 250, giant vestibule with floor, pitch as one, packs up small.
    Vango Cyclone 250, great vestibule and sensational in high winds and crap weather, pitch as one.
    Black Wolf Dragon Fly, great 2 man tent, small light only needs 2 pegs, has 2 vestibules, this is the most used tent has been sensational.
    And a few others too, to many to list
  18. southernxmx

southernxmx Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    i love my tents to have enough room to fit my gear if need be and me, bit the bullet and picked up a nemo morpho 2p. no poles, quick to set up, sturdy and plenty of ventilation, not cheap but well worth the money.....best part is for a 2 person tent once set up you can fit 2 actual adults and not two midgets and once packed down its only a bit bigger than a loaf of bread
    http://www.nemoequipment.com/nemo2010-morpho2p-tent
  19. GSXR

GSXR Trail Rider

Oddometer:

Spot on mate.

Mine was 39.95 Kmart 12 years ago and despite my best efforts can't destroy the damn thing.

Smithy
  20. Happy Snapper

Happy Snapper GOMOB.

Oddometer:
    $39.95!!!

Gees.. Coles have 2 man dome tents for $15

Now that's a cheap tent!