tents

Discussion in 'Australia' started by ozbikedude, Mar 5, 2010.

1. GSXR

GSXR Trail Rider

Oddometer:
    Might have to look into that!
  2. Jelkie

Jelkie Beginner

Oddometer:
    I picked up this Aldi tent last year. I thought it would pack up as small as the insert in the photo. When I went there it was disappointing to learn it was as long as all the other dome tents tents. But on special it was priced down from $40 to $20 so I bought it and then cut all the fibre glass poles in half. If you ask me its always the poles that bugger up the packing. With some 10mm alu pipe to make new pole connectors it now packs up as small as displayed in the insert.

Attached Files:

3. Sand Goanna

Sand Goanna Sand Goanna

Oddometer:
    Just bought an Outdoor Expedition "Tucana"
    Havent used it yet, it's small and light, looks like it's built well.
    Anyone got one?
  4. Sp00k

Sp00k Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Tried , True, Tested..

[​IMG]
  5. Dean Ohlin

Dean Ohlin inner city elite Supporter

Oddometer:
    Old subject, but at least I didn't start a new thread :wink: :D

Looking for a tent for car camping. Cheapie'll do....if the weather turns too foul we'll go to a motel.

- 2 or 3 person size ie about 2.5 x 2.5 mtrs

- reasonable quality

-under $ 150.00

- MUST be quick and easy to put up AND take down. This is important. Any dome tent I've tried is too fiddly. I had one of those pop-up jobs which was alright until I did me block trying to fold it up. What a pain in the arse! It's now gone to tent heaven.:lol3

Any ideas?
  6. Phil_Fong

Phil_Fong Over Regulated Supporter

Oddometer:
    I am so over tents.

Never once have I been able to pack the damn thing dry and keep up with the ride and it leaks anyhow.

I bought a heavy duty monster size tarp from Aldi for $20, a handful of ropes and pegs and I'm going back to swags.
    If it don't look like rain it stays packed.

:1drink
  7. Bernie68

Bernie68 Been here awhile

Oddometer:

If the weather gets too wet and nasty
    I like them ones in the background, with all the modcons
  8. Geoff3DMN

Geoff3DMN Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I use a Black Wolf Wasp tent like this one (can't find a photo of mine sorry), it's been waterproof, ice proof and wind proof but it could be a bit longer...

[​IMG]
  9. Shmerel

Shmerel

Oddometer:
    you get what you pay for when it comes to comfort, reliability and ergonomics.

and whichever way it swings, it's always horrible to pack/unpack anything wet ('cept cold beer).
  10. tariadamar

tariadamar mud lover

Oddometer:
    yeah i have one of these all i do is roll the tent up and leave the poles out and pack the seperate. it makes it alot easier.
  11. Dean Ohlin

Oddometer:
    What about these Black Stump "Instant" tents? Anyone had anything to do with them?

http://www.kampers.com.au/sale.php?p=3_Person_and_Inner

Not too concerned about packing size and weight. Mostly wondering about whether they are as quick and easy to put up AND down as claimed, and general impressions of quality/resilience.
  12. boy60

boy60 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    These are great, easy to setup and take down ,abit dearer than you want but are a very good tent. You can stand up in it as well. about $300 though. You wont be sorry.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  13. Dean Ohlin

Oddometer:
    Thanks, yes, I've got a good quality, NZ made centre pole canvas tent which is excellent for a few days camp.

Looking now for something quick, small and light for overnight. Might be someone out there with experience of the Black Stump tents.
  14. OzRob

OzRob Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I am thinking of getting one of these,
    http://store.nomadtent.com/products/The-Tenere-Expedition-Tent.html#
    I have tried bivouac tents, swags, hootchies....bivvi bags...all good for single person camping....however after the last trip the wife was not happy that our current two person tent had no place to cook, or store our gear after it rained all night....wet wife = unhappy camper...
    I was thinking that the Expedition tent as it gives us enough room to sleep, stand up and cook....and keep the wife happy.
    Not a bad idea that you can park the bike in it too.
    Also I like the idea when it is raining, that you can put the outer fly up, park the bike inside, and then unpack the bike out of the rain.
  15. Happy Snapper

Happy Snapper GOMOB.

Oddometer:

Looks great although a little big and chunky (read heavy) compared to my 2 tent.

Cheers
  16. Edge

Edge Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    black stump tents look great but packed down they are 1.2mlong ,hard to strap on a bike,the nomad tents look great though thinking of getting one for my lady and I.It will be her birthday present :lol3
  17. Sundowner

Sundowner Bort

Oddometer:
    G'day Woopwoop, :wave
    I've got one of these Black Stump instant tents. I bought it about 4 or 5 years ago and probably used it maybe 30 or 40 times with work. They're a brilliant bit of kit as far as I'm concerned. The first hint of a mozzie and it's out the bag and up in only a couple of minutes. The inner is black mesh and very easy to see through, so it's perfect if you're like me and love to fall asleep under the stars - you can also see the dingos and axe murderers sneaking around the camp. The base is a light yet durable nylon similar to normal tent fly cloth and is very waterproof. The inner pops up with the simple pull of one central cord and there's a small plastic tag that you insert into the centre pin to stop it collapsing on you unexpectedly. This is really important. Don't ask me how I know. :lol3 The outer tent fly cover, which I bought seperately, forms an excellent, roomy twin entry, dual vestibule shelter. It's a silver coated fly fabric that shuts out light and heat quite well, which is important the next morning after a big party night. I hate tents, due to the bloody terrible yellow or orange fabric most seem to be now, which makes hangovers kick in as soon as dawn breaks. But this Black Stump tent fabric is great at blocking light. The entry points either side can be set up to create an air flow through the tent quite easily, as either side has two flaps to form the side, either of which can be held open with a couple of toggle loops. There are a few guy ropes that generally only need to be used if a cyclone is expected. I used my tent most recently on the bike in my Ride Report that's linked below. It got hit by some really strong (+90km/hr) gusts and I had the upwind inner poles collapse at their elbows, but it still held it's ground. If the elbows collapse, you simply and easily push them back out until they lock again. It's not too noisy either as it tends to be well tensioned and strong, so most storms don't tend to disturb your sleep. I reckon the reason the elbows collapse is that mine was one of the first of this design and the elbows don't seem angled quite perfect. I could probably fix it easy enough but it doesn't happen too often. As far as transporting it on the bike, it's width is easily discounted by it's practicality. It's just so good to use. It straps on easily, the bag's strong and the seperate fly bag is small enough to fit in a pannier bag. It needs minimal effort to pack away or clean out. It's basically freestanding. It's roomy as a one man shelter and the vestibules wouldn't make it too squeezy for 2 people to share. Would I buy another when this one wears out? - hell yes! Would I tour around the country with it? - probably not. It's fine for a week away strapped to the back of the bike though. :thumb
  18. rosscoact

rosscoact need constant supervision

Oddometer:
    Yeah, good if you've got a ute, or as in your case, a trailer. Us this a Ulysses gathering?
  19. sandgroper

sandgroper Long timer

Oddometer:
    used something like this over the tent to keep it dry when in alaska
    ed
  20. rosscoact

rosscoact need constant supervision

Oddometer:
    I was having a look at the macpac cattledog and saw one of these for $735:eek1:eek1:eek1