tents

Discussion in 'Australia' started by ozbikedude, Mar 5, 2010.

1. Dean Ohlin

Dean Ohlin inner city elite Supporter

Oddometer:

Thanks mate, an excellent review.

Just one thing. I gave it about 10 days and nobody seemed to have had any experience with them. So I went and bought something else.

Last night! :lol3

But thanks anyway. They've now also got some with a built in fly. I'm still considering one of the smallest for solo trips.
  2. Sundowner

Sundowner Bort

Oddometer:
    :lol3 Isn't that always the way. Murphy's Law. :lol3
    What did you end up with?

I just had a look at their website to check out the different models. The one I have is actually the Two Person Mosquito dome

I'm thinking about a DMH Derwent for an extended bike trip. It's a reasonable looking tent for the weight. I hate small tents. They make camping a miserable ordeal, especially if it's raining and you need to avoid touching any part of the interior to stay dry.
    Has anyone used the Derwent and can give a reasonable review of their experiences with it?
  3. rosscoact

rosscoact need constant supervision

Oddometer:
    I used a 3 man when the boy and I went around oz. It's not too bad for what it is and what it costs. I can dig it out and send it to you if you want, I haven't used it since then.
  4. Dean Ohlin

Oddometer:
    Acually I bought a DMH Franklin. "Four person" simple dome but good quality with aluminium poles.

That Derwent would be good. Same materials as the Franklin with Aluminium poles etc. I've alreadt got a a DMH Huon, same as the Derwent but a bit (too small) smaller.

But get in quick. DMH has gone out of business. There's a bit of stock still around, but once it's gone that's it. I've done a bit of research lately and anything of comparable quality is a LOT dearer.

Note that not all DMH is the same quality. They also had a range of cheaper/lesser quality stuff and there's still heaps of that around too.
  5. Sundowner

Sundowner Bort

Oddometer:
    That's mighty generous of you Rossco. Thankyou for the offer. I'll take you up on that. Would you like the Black Stump instant mozzie tent in exchange?
  6. rosscoact

rosscoact need constant supervision

Oddometer:
    No worries mate, easy as. Just PM me your address and I'll slip it in the mail on the weekend

No need for the net, I have one but thanks for the offer
  7. boy60

boy60 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    It was an AGM at Coffs Harbour. woopwoop wanted a car tent so this is a good tent IMO.
  8. Dean Ohlin

Oddometer:

Quite correct boy....errr I mean Mr. 60 :lol3

and I appreciated your advice, they are a good tent:thumb
    sometimes the subtleties of context get lost in these threads
  9. boy60

boy60 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Sir will do thanks. Just jokinn Tim will do
  10. Gizzool

Gizzool DEATH TO SMILIES

Oddometer:
    My wife just gave me a Blackwolf Stealth Mesh for my b'day.
    What a good girl.................or is she telling me to gtfo of the house.(sigh)
  11. podge NT

podge NT Podge NT

Oddometer:
    Steve at Adventure Moto has some new tents coming next week 2 man only weighs 650 grams.:clap
  12. Voyagner

Voyagner Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Picked up one of these from Anaconda on the weekend for less than $90 will test it out soon enough. Set it up in the lounge and I don't like the poles much, but then my last tent cost 5x as much so a bit better engineered I guess.
  13. Happy Snapper

Happy Snapper GOMOB.

Oddometer:
    Hi guys.... went in search for a new tent today.. and found out something interesting. Here in Brisbane I got a flyer in the mail from a local camping shop and they had a few different dome tents on sale.

Anyhow.. into the shop I go clutching the fantastic plastic and I discover that some "2 person" tents are in fact bigger than some "3 person tents".

Ended up with a Companion Pro tent in 2 person on special for $100 that was bigger than a $50 3 person tent. Weighs in a 2 KG, packs up reasonably small to fit on the bike, so I am a Happy Snapper today!
  14. Dean Ohlin

Oddometer:
    Looks good, especially for $100. Aluminium poles are definitely worth while.
  15. Uncle Crumpet

Uncle Crumpet Long timer

Oddometer:
  16. Happy Snapper

Happy Snapper GOMOB.

Oddometer:
    Looks really good!
  17. hoyks

hoyks Tightass KLR rider

Oddometer:
    One for me, one for the bike.

[​IMG]
    Well, what did you expect from a KLR rider:evil.

I've also a Avior II which although good, is a bit on the tight side. I rate it highly for its size and weight when packed down.
  18. grumpyoldbstrd

grumpyoldbstrd Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    G'day O'Wise Ones,
    I'm looking to replace my old Salewa Micro tent. I'd get another, but it's a tad too peg intensive - needs at least 6 just for the fly.
    Ideally, I'd like a 1.5 person, 3 season, side entry, one vestibule, alloy poles, self supporting, integral fly (can be erected in the rain and not get the inner tent wet), and light weight.
    Currently looking at the Marmot Nusku 2P, Black Wolf Grasshopper 2P, Mont Moondance 2P, MSR Hubba Hubba 2P, Wilderness Equipment Dart 2P, and the Vaude.
    Anybody got any experience with these?
    Recommendations and/or tents for sale?
    Cheers,
    GOB
  19. The Other JC

The Other JC Lurking since 2004..

Oddometer:
    Give this thread a go. It may satisfy a few of your questions.

well now I look silly, this post has been merged! onto the end of another tents thread!
  20. Bigem

Bigem Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'm buying an ALDI one as soon as they come on sale again, the expensive ones I have had have all been shite, including the Orbit I have now!!