1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

tents

Discussion in 'Australia' started by ozbikedude, Mar 5, 2010.

1. iconman

iconman Good vibrations

Oddometer:
    Go the Hubba Hubba. Brilliant tent.
  2. johmarq

johmarq RottenMongrelBastard

Oddometer:
    I don't think you can beat Salewa tents.
    I've had my Salewa Sierra Leone 2 man for 20 years and used it hundreds of times
    It's still as good as new, packs really small (20 x 20 x20) with a compression sack.
    I know they are expensive but you really do get what you pay for.
    I'd definitely buy another Salewa, but I don't think i'll ever have to.:clap
  3. Miss Jane

Miss Jane Ride like a girl

Oddometer:
    My 10 + year old Salewa recently gave up the ghost, it was an awesome tent and had plenty of use in all weathers. Our harsh sun eventually killed it. However I didn't replace it with another Salewa as they are not what they used to be, the super high quality isn't there unfortunately.

Instead we went for a WE tent by Sea to Summit because they are so tough, especially the floors, and excellent in Aussie conditions. There are quite a few models to choose from and all are good. We now have two of them, the sil nylon extra light with outer pitching first if needed in wet weather, Second Arrow for long hikes in Tassie. And the newly purchased I-Explore which is not super light at 3 1/2 kg, but tough tough tough, for car camping, bike trips and hiking if we don't want to take the Second Arrow.

Grumpy get the WE Dart, can't go wrong.
  4. BruceC

BruceC Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I had the same problem about 3 years ago. Replaced it with another Salewa and I can vouch that the quality is no longer there.

Am now looking for another alternative. Sigh....

BruceC
  5. Adventcha UnCut

Adventcha UnCut Wannabe

Oddometer:
    Hi Jane,

Is the pole set from your Alegra II still OK:ear? Ours has a year or 3 left in the fly material but we've fractured a few pole sections along the way and have run out of sleeves to reinforce the bad sections.

Ever the cheapskate....maybe I should ride a KLR:rofl

Adv UNCuT
  6. triple hoe

triple hoe Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hey, whats wrong with KLR riders :ddog

I brought my last tent for $28 from rays, it barley lasted the one trip. :shog
  7. Dukehunt

Dukehunt Lost in Translation Nev 2.0 Super Moderator

Oddometer:
    The short answer is "What's right with KLR riders" :D
  8. GSDane

GSDane Ride like a girl

Oddometer:
    Hey Grumpy.

Yes, I know that you did have some thoughts on the WE Dart during our trip... and as the pic shows even the 1.5persons holds a lot of stuff :lol3
    [​IMG]

This tent worked really well for me... as I was followed by sunshine all the way :clap
    I reckon the Dart series (also the 2person) has a huge weakness when it comes to wet weather. As the above picture shows the 3 poles creates a bit of a bowl on top of the tent - ideal for collecting rainwater in times of drought or washing hair or dishes in :lol3 (I think it's pretty difficult to tighten it enough to avoid this) + the upper part of the fly door is positioned "inside" the tent from a vertical point of view letting water drip on the floor when both doors are open :eek1
    BUT... as Jane has written - WE is good quality and very tough tents. Maybe have a look at the WE Second Arrow for the inner-tent-picthing-first (tunnel entrance though!) or the WE i-Explorer 2...

Cheers, GSDane.
  9. neilaction

neilaction Slightly Less Adventurous

Oddometer:
    Is there suck a thing as a really "freestanding". :deal
    It will work well without any pegs. :ear
  10. Miss Jane

Oddometer:
    Yes.

As long as there is no wind or rain.:D However, free standing is sometimes the best solution, not always. The geodesic dome is a strong design and happens to be easy to pitch.
  11. Miss Jane

Oddometer:
    Yeah sure you can have some poles. Makes sense.

As for KLR's...............:scratch
    Triplehoe I've watched the bolts fall out of yours as you throw your self up the track.:lol3
  12. squizzy

squizzy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    In my earlier camping days, I used to carry the poles separate from the tent until I got to one campsite and realized the poles were at home! Luckily it was a plain A frame tent, and I used some branches to make do.I would be stuffed with the new tent with flexible poles. Funny thing, you only do these things once, I hope.:D
  13. triple hoe

triple hoe Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thats what they make cable ties for :stupid :jack
  14. pirate63

pirate63 SUPA 10 PILOT

Oddometer:
    Just recently used a vango for ten days,really good and watertight,great thing is you can remove the inner sleeping compartment and pack away sepratly if the outer is still wet,so when you set up again you have a dry sleeping compartment( have done it),also freestanding if not blowing a gale
    Very impressed
  15. boxerboy81

boxerboy81 Stay Horizontal

Oddometer:
  16. Reefdog

Reefdog Long timer

Oddometer:
    Just bought a Nomad tent, new name is now Redverz tents http://redverz.com/tents.html
    designed by a bike rider for bike riders
    dont know wether they are available in Oz or not,,bought mine from the UK
    easy to put up and down about 10 minutes
    only draw back is it has a packed weight of 13 lbs ( 6 kgs) but thats only 2 kgs more than others that are smaller on the market
    supposed to be good in wind and rain,,the camping trip my Wife and I have just done in the Mussadam area of Oman
    there was neither rain or wind so cant vouch for that claim yet
    handles 2 people with ease and all our riding gear( boots,jackets,pants and clothes bags) inside...
    the above mentioned designer and owner of company is a good bloke,,I talk to him directly in Armsterdam and he was really helpful and organise the delivery for me
    the best thing i like is the insect proof screens,,midgee and sandfly proof,,( little bastards)
    and you can store your bike inside to/ OR use the bike area for cooking on wet days
    paid 449 US$
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  17. racca

racca wandering aimlessly

Oddometer:
    exactly what i was looking at getting. Anyone given one a good testrun?
  18. grumpyoldbstrd

grumpyoldbstrd Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the input.
    To meet my requirements, reckon I can shortlist down to three: The WE Dart 2, the MSR Hubba Hubba, and the Exped Orion.
    The Exped has an integral fly and weighs slightly more (also 4 seasons). The MSR is the lighest, but maybe not as durable & has a separate fly. The WE is very similar to the Exped, but has a separate fly.
    Anyone had any experience with any of these? Pros & cons of one over the other?
    Cheers,
    GOB
  19. Sleepy John

Sleepy John Grumpy Adventurer

Oddometer:
  20. Cookie1

Cookie1 Adventurer

Oddometer: