Terminal Leave ADV Ride to Baja?

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by Warebear, Feb 5, 2019.

1. Warebear

Warebear Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hey all! Today I begin my adventure. It’s my first day of Terminal leave after 8 years of active navy service. I am writing this beginning from the Port Townsend, WA ferry.

I would like to make it to Baja, but, as always, things have come up in the last few days that may cut my trip short. After all, I still need to find a job in the next 30 days.

Anyways, I am on my DR650.
  2. Warebear

Warebear Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I am going to try to camp In Cannon Beach, OR tonight for the first night. It was icy this morning, I almost postponed leaving for fear of the ice. Oh well. Didn’t even fall once, yet.
    kojack06, Matcrisp and joenuclear like this.
  3. Warebear

Warebear Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Also, I’ll be uploading pics and videos as much as I can.
    yamalama likes this.
  4. Salsa

Salsa Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thank you for your service and let the ADV community know if you need anything.

Good Luck

Don
    Warebear likes this.
  5. XR Valdeez

XR Valdeez Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    If you need anything in L.A. let me know.....

Fair winds and following seas!

Semper Fi
    kojack06 and Warebear like this.
  6. holckster

holckster dougholck Supporter

Oddometer:
    Warm bed, cold adult beverages and abundant wine varieties available near Lodi, Ca
    www.visitlodi.com
    I'm on the Tent Space List.
    209/7476453

Add "Lost Coast Hwy" to your route.
    Take Mattole Rd south out of Ferndale, CA.
    Doug

Safe Travels
  7. scrubb

scrubb Master of Mayhem

Oddometer:
    Hope you have a great trip. Let me know if you need assistance (or beer :drinktherapy) in San Diego.

Do not forget Mexican insurance, AND do not forget to get the FMM (Mexican Tourist card). You can fill out the FMM online, but you have to have it stamped at the aduanas (immigration) at the border, else it is invalid and your insurance may be invalidated as well. Then (since you are in WA, and unlikely to make it again in 6 months), you can turn in your FMM back at the border as you leave.

https://www.bajabound.com/before/permits/visa.php
    Warebear likes this.
  8. Warebear

Warebear Adventurer

Oddometer:
    A2D3070F-15BF-47F8-8BC5-205FB6B10DD9.jpeg 5A6D580C-9C76-4A41-B9BC-5CF351C19855.jpeg 0B37A120-EFB4-4561-8A81-D887DE0740AB.jpeg

Thanks for the replies! I made it to Cannon Beach, OR today. Unfortunately I couldn’t find any Park with camping, and the forest roads were closed due to high fire risk.
    It was a freezing ride, made me wish I had splurged in heated grips. Oh well.
    Foiler, Davidprej, 95Monster and 4 others like this.
  9. BMgreenmt

BMgreenmt Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hippo Hands or some homemade equivalent will do wonders for your cold hands. Ride safe and thank you for your service!
    Warebear likes this.
  10. joenuclear

joenuclear Long timer

Oddometer:
    Top of the Ouchitas, bottom of the Ozarks.
    N! :lurk
  11. SOLOKLR

SOLOKLR Back to work

Oddometer:
    Excellent plan! My first week of terminal leave were spent in Baja. Safe travels!
    Warebear likes this.
  12. black 8

black 8 Long timer

Oddometer:
    :lurk
    Warebear likes this.
  13. CharlestonADV

CharlestonADV I do my own stunts.

Oddometer:
    I've seen one gallon milk jugs used for this purpose.
  14. RedDogAlberta

RedDogAlberta High Plains Drifter

Oddometer:
    Thanks for your service and ride safe. I'm always on for Baja.
    Warebear likes this.
  15. yokesman

yokesman Long timer

Oddometer:
    welding shops, airco n the like, sell a wool type insulation gloves for alittle over $2.
    mrfishingrod and Warebear like this.
  16. scrubb

scrubb Master of Mayhem

Oddometer:
    I second the Lost Coast recommendation. The Lost Coast is pretty amazing, and endless roads to mess around in the upper coast. You could ride for days. Use caution, as this area gets heavy fog/mist, and higher parts of the road can have spots of black ice at this time of the year if the temps are right. From Ferndale, I liked taking Mattole - Wilder Ridge - Ettersburg, then to Briceland. You can then go west and check out Shelter Cove (out and back though). Pretty nice little quaint community isolated by topography and forest. Lots more to ride, but with all of this rain, it is likely a mudfest.

Here are some shots from the Lost Coast. Barely a soul there, it was amazing.

[​IMG]

IMG_5307.JPG
    IMG_5325.JPG IMG_5315.JPG
  17. FirePig

FirePig Ah'm a pig. Supporter

Oddometer:
    In :lurk

Definately recommend Lost Coast. Much better than just blasting down 101. If you are going to be stopping in the Santa Rosa area drop me a line. Got a spare bedroom and garage.
    95Monster, DesertSurfer and Warebear like this.
  18. Warebear

Warebear Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Awesome! I’ll definitely check out Lost Coast, probably make it there tomorrow. I didn’t get many good pics today, most of it was on the road running from the cold.

IMG_3267.jpg
    Addapost, Davidprej and kres like this.
  19. Warebear

Warebear Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Might take you up on that! I might make it tomorrow, depending on how long I play around at the Lost Coast
    DesertSurfer likes this.
  20. holckster

holckster dougholck Supporter

Oddometer:
    From Santa Rosa consider 12 west to Hwy 1 south.
    Over the Golden gate take 1st exit and circle around under the south end of the Bridge for photo op.
    Then proceed to the Embarcadero and visit Pier 23 café, snack break and view of bay from their water level deck. (Grab a post card, lol)
    Ride to top of Coit Tower for the view.
    Then take Geary west to Point Lobos Ave (maybe lunch at the Cliff House).
    Take the Great Hwy south to 35 to Hwy 1 to Cabrillo Hwy.
    It's Golf week at Pebble Beach/Big Sur so to avoid the traffic mess I recommend the following inland detour thru the Redwoods.
    Then take 92 east to Skyline south to Alice's Restaurant at the intersection of La Honda Rd. (Another lunch option, I like the Buffalo Burger)
    Then continue south on Skyline to Hwy 9 to Santa Cruz and pay the parking and drive out the Pier. (more food options).
    Proceed to Hollister and take Hwy 25 Indian Valley Rd south to Hwy 198 west to San Lucas Rd to Jolon Rd onto Nacimiento Fergusson Rd to Hwy 1.
    South on Hwy 1 takes you back along the Coast.
    I like to stay at the Bluebird Motel in Cambria and eat at the Sea Chest Restaurant on the beach. (No reservations, opens at 5, be in line by 4:30)
    Check out the Glass Blower shop in Harmony just south of Cambria.
    Stop at the Cayucos Cookie Factory ( day old Snickerdoodles, yum). Fish Taco joint across the street toward the Ocean.
    Drop into Morro Bay and walk the street along the Harbor, check out Morro Rock.
    Farther south visit Solvang, Scandinavian Village (see if private Motorcycle Museum downtown is open).
    Then 101/134/2 or 18/210/2 onto Angles Crest Hwy and Lone Pine Canyon Rd to Hwy 138.
    At Cajon Junction take 138 east onto Hwy 18 at Skyland.
    Take 18 around Big Bear Lake then cut over to Hwy 247 south to 62 to Entrance into Joshua Tree NP.
    Head south to Calexico border crossing to San Felipe and loop south thru Gonzaga Bay ( some dirt) or loop west on Hwy 3 (visit Mikes Skyranch).

Sorry, didn't mean to hijack your ride but once I got started the memories came flooding back.
    Plenty of other stuff to see/do along this route, keep your eyes open for what interests you.

Safe Travels