Terminal Leave ADV Ride to Baja?

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by Warebear, Feb 5, 2019.

1. FirePig

FirePig Ah'm a pig. Supporter

Oddometer:
    Check your private messages for my phone number.
  2. scrubb

scrubb Master of Mayhem

Oddometer:

@Warebear
    Just an FYI

You prolly would assume this however, I would strongly advise against going up 18 over Big Bear right now. Ice and snow (from very recent storms) and highs barely above freezing. Not a good combo. Same for Joshua Tree. Very cold, and last I heard, several closed due to flooding and/or being washed out. Lows in the mid 20's. Even if you were to attempt Joshua Tree, once you exit it at the Southeast Corner, the road you continue on (Box Canyon road) after you cross the freeway and take to Mecca, was totally washed away in October/November. Meaning you would have to slab it back on 10 east for a good 12-15 miles just to get to a point where you could go south on the 86.

Hope you're having fun!

95Monster and Warebear like this.
  3. kres

kres Arrrrrrrrr! Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    In! :lurk
    Warebear likes this.
  4. holckster

holckster dougholck Supporter

Oddometer:
    Thanks scrubb.
    Forgot it's actually winter even in So-Cal.
    Checked weather and see where they expected 3-4 inches of snow by Tuesday at Big Bear.

Warebear, delete my inland routing after Solvang and stay along the Coast.
    95Monster and Warebear like this.
  5. scrubb

scrubb Master of Mayhem

Oddometer:

Your recommendations are spot on, just mother nature got in the way! We got hammered down here the last week, and even a little snow in our baby San Diego mtns. Need it though!
    DesertSurfer and Warebear like this.
  6. oneway

oneway Tehachapi CA

Oddometer:
    Just checking the weather:
    You’re gonna freeze your ass off and get wet. At least this week.
    Warebear likes this.
  7. Motopsychoman

Motopsychoman Not a total poseur Supporter

Oddometer:
    1) Thank you for your service!
    2) Ride safe.
    3) You are looking at the next 10 straight days of cool to cold rain pounding California.
    4) If you take CA 1 south of San Francisco, recommend eating at Nick's Rockaway at Rockaway Beach, Pacifica. They make an awesome Dungeness crab omelet.
  8. Motopsychoman

Oddometer:
    Warebear likes this.
  9. Warebear

Warebear Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Ahh of course it’s cold and rainy! Well today I rode to the Lost Coast and it was amazing. Thanks for the suggestion. It really broke up the suck of 101.

Tonight I’m staying with Firepig and his wife, such and awesome night. I need to get some things taken care of on the DR in the morning.

Then I’ll try for more of your recommendations out of Santa Rosa. I’ve been miserably cold for 3 days and was hoping to out run it. Guess we will see.

I took better pics on my camera that I’ll try to upload tomorrow, and of course my GoPro didn’t charge in the room last night, but here’s what I got on my phone.
    Again, I can’t recommend the Lost Cove enough, and thank you to Firepig for the good food and warm bed.

IMG_3282.jpg
    IMG_3283.jpg
  10. oneway

oneway Tehachapi CA

Oddometer:
    This ride is bringing back some memories for me. 40 years ago in 1979 I was discharged in Bremerton from the USN with nothing but a motorcycle and $1000 to my name.
    My father and a friend flew up to WA and we all rode motorcycles back to California.
    It rained like hell all the way.
    Enjoy your ride
    DesertSurfer, black 8 and Warebear like this.
  11. Motopsychoman

Oddometer:
    Forgot one: if you find yourself passing thru San Francisco on a weekday morning between 8:00 and 10:00, stop at the Liguria Bakery and buy a pizza focaccia. You won't be disappointed. 1700 Stockton St.
  12. cmcteir

cmcteir Adventurer

Oddometer:
    :lurk in!
    Warebear likes this.
  13. ArdenLoneWolf

ArdenLoneWolf Adventurer

Oddometer:
    If you need any help maintenance wise with your bike or want a place to stop for coffee and stories check out the Zen House in Point Arena CA. I have fond memories from living in northern california visiting that motorcycle shop over the years. Owner Dave works on some great classic bikes, former head mechanic at ducati SD, met his wife riding a xr600 around the world who also teaches yoga at the shop. Great place to stop!

http://www.thezenhouse.net/

Enjoy terminal leave, I used my terminal to go to Burning Man in 2010.
  14. fasttortoise

fasttortoise Smartest Idiot Here

Oddometer:
    For some reason I’m wildly entertained by the question mark in the title of this thread. I say ditch the cold weather and book it south!
    Warebear likes this.
  15. FirePig

Oddometer:
    Well,when I left the house this morning to go back to work, firefighter, I could hear Warebear sawing logs through the door to his bedroom. Really nice guy! When I told Vicki I had invited him to spend the night she was like “Let me get this straight... some guy who you only know from the internet is spending the night and then you’re leaving in the morning and I’m going to be alone with him?” Within a couple of minutes after he walked in the house yesterday she wanted to adopt him. :lol3
  16. FirePig

Oddometer:
    Oh, and he has an invite to stay until the weather clears.

One thing he needs is a new chain and countershaft sprocket. Not the worst I’ve seen but up there. He’s going to check with a local Suzuki shop to see if they can get it replaced. I gave him one of my used chains I swapped out after my last Baja race that is still in pretty good condition but I don’t have any countershaft sprockets to fit his DR650. If he can’t get it replaced here in Santa Rosa perhaps another Inmate to the south can be of assistance?

Cheers
    DesertSurfer, joenuclear and Warebear like this.
  17. Warebear

Oddometer:
    Just got in to a local dealership here in Santa Rosa, need to pick up a countershaft sprocket. I’m going to try to use a chain gifted to me, should work fine.
    Also blew my fork seals. Not sure when I want to try to get those done. Ive never done them so I’ll be at the mercy of a shop. I’ll call around today or tomorrow.
    95Monster likes this.
  18. Warebear

Oddometer:
    Well no sprocket to be had here! I think I’ll just continue south, and call up a shop along the way so they could order one and I’ll pick it up as I go.
    DesertSurfer likes this.
  19. scrubb

scrubb Master of Mayhem

Oddometer:
    Lots of rain up there today. Use caution. I have lots of recommendations for the SF area (lived in SF for 2 years) but not so much for a rainy day on a bike

Regarding your DR parts.

Cycle gear in SF, if you want to give the a buzz. Open at 10am.
    https://www.cyclegear.com/stores/cycle-gear-san-francisco-california-store-40

Cycle Gear San Francisco

1500 Harrison Street
    San Francisco, California
    Tel.: 415-487-2710

Also, one further done in San Luis Obispo.
    https://www.cyclegear.com/stores/cycle-gear-san-luis-obispo-california-store-97
    445 B Madonna Road
    San Luis Obispo, California
    Contact Us . Tel: 805-783-2660

Or a Suzuki dealer in Santa Clara.
    (408) 246-7323
    Grand Prix Powersports
    2360 El Camino Real, Santa Clara, CA 95050
    https://grandprixpowersports.com/
    DesertSurfer, joenuclear and Warebear like this.
  20. Orangebiker

Orangebiker Doin' it Froggystyle

Oddometer:
    Have a blast Warebear. If you ned anything in San Diego (North county specifically) hit me up. I'll pm you my number. Ride safe and stay warm.
    Warebear likes this.