Test Rode a Zero SR 14.4 kWh Today

Discussion in 'Electric Motorcycles' started by CBRider, Mar 20, 2018.

1. MauriceDz

MauriceDz Adventurer

Oddometer:
    What's the dealer support like in the States from Zero? Did they talk about real-world charging times for the battery etc?
  2. Mattbastard

Mattbastard Lazy ass

Oddometer:
    This is very true. If you look at the most current, yet commercially available technology, it's the Tesla 2170 that comes in the Model 3. The Model S battery is a Panasonic 18650 that's claimed at 250Wh/kg. The new Model 3 uses the 2170 which is supposed to have 15-30% more capacity than the current 18650's, so that bumps it up to over 300Wh/kg.

The unique thing about Tesla's thesis behind the 2170 isn't so much about energy density, it's about driving down manufacturing cost to make electric cars more affordable. 200 miles is more than enough for just about everyone in the country. Range anxiety is for insecure people who dream past their own reality, focusing on the fraction of a percent chance they'll have to drive across the country when in reality they work within 50 miles of home and often have a second vehicle in the household that can assume long distance duties as needed.

The technology behind cylindrical Li batteries has been commercially available for about 15 years. In the early 2000's there were the prismatics, which are very outdated today. The latest technology in the Lithium Graphene, still in the R&D phases but looking to roll out soon. See this link for more info:

https://www.anandtech.com/show/1209...balls-enables-higher-capacity-faster-charging

Considering history, we're 10 years away from commercially available Li-Graphite batteries, assuming that's even the direction we'll go. Having said that, I'd be completely comfortable buying (or building) an EV today without worry that it'll have an obsolete power supply within the next decade.

Edit: Also, for what it's worth, I'm "upgrading" the power supply on my 2011 Zero XU using an entire Tesla battery module. The original XU pack was using mid-2000's 26700 cells from Molicel which had a great discharge rating of 40A, but a terrible energy density of 110Wh/kg. Not to mention, in that bike the 1.7kWh battery pack only gave it about a 30 mile range, if you're lucky. Now I'm using 440 18650 cells out of the Tesla module, wired in series-parallel to give it over 5kWh and well over a 70-80 mile range per charge.
    voltsxamps likes this.
  3. VACommuter

VACommuter Long timer

Oddometer:
    1B29ADA6-5632-4F3B-A822-8C5A9C7480B9.jpeg
    283D8185-A124-41AE-9224-6F8C1FD1F262.jpeg
    Spied Johnny Law this weekend in Hong Kong with his Zero.
    RCmoto likes this.
  4. ROBSMST

ROBSMST n00b

Oddometer:
    I test road one for the first time this past weekend. I see it as a second or 3rd bike for me down the line. It may even be my next bike but again it would be as a 2nd or 3rd. I test road the SR and felt the bars could be higher and closer. So maybe a DSR is in the future as I like that riding position better. I see my wife and I putting one in the back of the RV to have at campsites and go into cities etc. I like the idea of picking up a year end model and building it.

Attached Files:

5. SteelJM1

SteelJM1 Former Undercover KTM rider

Oddometer:
    14.4 kwh! What kinda range do you get with that? The current generation volts house a big heavy 18.4kwh battery that can get up to 53 miles, but thats pushing a heavyass car arpond. Do the zeros utilize regen braking?
  6. ROBSMST

ROBSMST n00b

Oddometer:
    Yes they do have regenative breaking. With the smartphone app you can play with a lot of settings. Back the power off for when it rains. Set the TQ curve where you want it. Make it accelerate like a boxer or vtwin or straight 4. It’s a really cool feature. For example if I want to teach my kids or you’re a newbie you can scale it back. Then allow for full power once ready etc.
    Dracula, SteelJM1 and voltsxamps like this.
  7. BrianTRice

BrianTRice Nerdy adventurer

Oddometer:
    For a given battery capacity, a Zero will typically get twice the highway range that a commuter car gets on the highway. That 14.4 should get a solid 100 miles on the highway, and if it doesn't, just putting a windscreen on it will nudge it over that figure.
  8. longslowdistance

longslowdistance Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Higher bars can be mounted on the S/SR. Prior to 2018 I’ve read that adding rox risers was easy, not so much now.