Tewster's 2018 Mercedes Sprinter Adventure Van Build

Discussion in 'Shiny Things' started by Tewster2, Aug 26, 2018.

1. Tewster2

Tewster2 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    In my travels to and from the American Southwest and Alaska over the years I've longed to just be able to stop anytime I wanted at a beautiful sight for the night then move on...I've longed to be able to go someplace, spend a few weeks riding around the area without having to find a campground, a cheap motel, or mooch off friends.

So...during my last ride up to Alaska this summer I decided to build another bike primarily for touring...and...build me a tiny house to live in for the next few years.

Here's my new 2018 170 inch wheelbase hightop turbo diesel Mercedes Sprinter Van...got 31 miles on her so far :-)...she's got all the goodies...just like me.

IMG_3897.jpg

I'll be doing all the conversion work with the exception of the cabinetry...my sister works for a custom cabinet maker so they'll make it real purdy.

Let's get started...

IMG_3898.JPG
    Brooosss, zzzak, Centerlane and 26 others like this.
  2. slimy

slimy Wanabe Adventurer

Oddometer:
    IN :thumb :lurk
  3. teamkabob

teamkabob Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Motovan! Lurk

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  4. Stubanger

Stubanger Adventurer

Oddometer:
    This is going to be more awesome than that van is big! :lurk
  5. Dexmeister

Dexmeister Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    And now you can bring momma along too..
    Tewster2 likes this.
  6. PA Dewayne

PA Dewayne Adventurer

Oddometer:
    IN
  7. Maggot12

Maggot12 U'mmmm yeaah!!

Oddometer:
    Awesome stuff..

I yearn for the same, but not quit yet in a position yet to jump in. I've watched dozens of build vids on utube, but when it comes time I'll likely buy an already purpose built rv with plumbing...
  8. DakarNick

DakarNick Swabee

Oddometer:
    Awesome. I was debating a Sprinter but I've decided to go a different route.

I look forward to your build!
  9. 51%

51% ReadyToRide

Oddometer:
    Lead on!
  10. ktjim

ktjim longtime n00b

Oddometer:
    In!!
  11. Bad Dad

Bad Dad Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    On board! This is in my near future!
  12. DPgoodness

DPgoodness n00b

Oddometer:
    I have a few simple questions on your layout plans. Fixed bed or fold up bed? Toilet? Shower? Or are you going more simple? Are you planning solar at all? Looking forward to following you!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
  13. Kyron

Kyron Oncler Inds

Oddometer:
    Done yet?
  14. Bigbob1

Bigbob1 Rain Rider Supporter

Oddometer:
    This is going to be good!
  15. XpressCS

XpressCS Must. Have. Lumens..

Oddometer:
    Also IN. I've got my eyeball on this exact model (is it a 4x4?), and intend on doing the same.
  16. Tewster2

Oddometer:
    I'll be posting the floorpan I'm thinking about soon....200watt/400 amp hour solar system...composting toilet but no shower as places to shower are everywhere...custom cabinetry...full sized bed...120 volt shore power also...roof A/C...I expect the build to cost around $12,000...hopefully

4x2
    djroszina and DPgoodness like this.
  17. Tewster2

Oddometer:
    Using the flooring that came with the thing as a base...took out all the tied downs and filled the bolt holes with silicone...made floor battens with 3/4"x2 inch strips....screwed them to the OEM base...will cut 3/4 inch thick R-5 solid polyiso insulation and fit it between the battens...then seal everything with 2 inch foil A/C tape over the battens and polyiso to create a floor vapor barrier...I'll tie the walls and ceiling into the flooring to create a complete vapor barrier as I go along.

Battens done today...insulate and seal tomorrow...it's hot in FL and I need a nap.

IMG_3901.JPG

IMG_3899.JPG

IMG_3903.JPG

Passim, BillUA, Brucester and 6 others like this.
  18. Dexmeister

Dexmeister Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Told you.... proper job.
  19. gonefirefighting

gonefirefighting Surrounded by Police

Oddometer:
    couple things to note after doing 3 of these myself for friends, do not skimp on insulation and wiring. use the best insulation you can find and as much of it as you can stuff through the rig. It will make a huge difference in either climate. Run your wiring and plumbing through some sort of conduit. solder and shrink wrap all of your connections and use pex for plumbing. it makes it a ton easier to troubleshoot and replace (or modify) down the road as the constant vibrations and movement of the chassis will eventually cause issues to wiring and plumbing. On my last build, I elevated everything about an inch off the floor and opted for a one-piece rubber floor that can be removed and washed. It also insulated the floor much better and was easier to clean and maintain than the standard pergo/laminate flooring trend. Wire your electricity source for a Honda type 3000 watt generator on a 50 amp service option as most rooftop AC units will need at least 50 amp and the generator is simple and easy to use and all places can work on them, this is a must if you are planning on frequenting high temp parts of the country. Wherever you decide to mount your battery bank make sure it is easily accessible and large enough to accommodate at least twice the batteries you need in case of failures and mods upgrades down the road. If I think of any other tips I will chime in now that I am subbed.
    Baccadon, Maggot12, JBird and 4 others like this.
  20. Tewster2

Oddometer:
    Stuff arriving today...I love Amazon...I've decided to use 2, 100 watt Renogy Solar panels with their charge controller and 4, 100 amp hour AGM batteries. Will use a 2000 watt Pure Sign Inverter to power all the 120 volt stuff when I'm off the grid.