Tewster's 2019 Travels

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by Tewster2, Mar 29, 2019.

1. Taff1

Taff1 Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Looks like the muffler will keep your jewels warm too !!
    Brutalguyracing and Tewster2 like this.
  2. wadethewanderer

wadethewanderer To infinity and beyond.

Oddometer:
    West of Wilmington, north of Myrtle Beach
    Honda......they're so thoughtful!
  3. djroszina

djroszina Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Not as of yet in my neck of the woods.
    CavReconSGT likes this.
  4. Taff1

Taff1 Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Nope 817CD24B-6728-4181-B956-7C48F53E4300.jpeg
  5. djroszina

Oddometer:
    That’s my first e-bike, the Juiced Ripcurrent S. Great bike...now I’ve got two batteries for either bike if I want to go on as goofy long Adventure.
    Taff1 and Tewster2 like this.
  6. Tewster2

Tewster2 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'm interested in the e bikes but not enough to spend the money yet....man I really do like the new CT125.
    Taff1 and wadethewanderer like this.
  7. cptnwightwen

cptnwightwen Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    From what I've read, it looks like it will be put into production and marketed in the U.S.A. and Europe. It'd be a great bike to hang off the bumper and ride around locally. Heck, I might get one and ride to Deadhorse with you.
    Taff1 likes this.
  8. Tewster2

Oddometer:
    Awesome! Don't know when it's gonna be in the States but I'll be putting a deposit down when I can. The Rally is nice but the 125 will fill my need for a really light weight bike I can put on the carrier and load/unload much easier by myself than the Rally.

And speaking of Deadhorse....planning on going back after D2D next year....on the Rally or the CT.
  9. cptnwightwen

Oddometer:
    If I tagged along, I'd ride my old GS. It'd be like reliving our first ride up, you on the WR 250 and me on my GS.
  10. Tewster2

Oddometer:
    It would be great to relive the trip...best ride I've ever done....I do know I'll probably drive the van with the bike up to someplace in Canada, drop the van and trailer, and continue to Dawson City and Prudhoe on the bike.
  11. cptnwightwen

Oddometer:
    If I go, I will trailer my bike to my son's place in WA and meet up with you wherever you drop the van. Something to consider.
  12. Tewster2

Oddometer:
    :thumb I’ll give you a call soon.
  13. cptnwightwen

Oddometer:
    Now we need to commit Anthony to ride with us.
    Taff1 likes this.
  14. BrianInPA

BrianInPA Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hi Tewster!
    I took the cross country journey we discussed when I picked up your NC750X last spring, from September 5th til November 10th.

Unfortunately early this summer I had a TIA, a transient ischemic attack or “mini stroke”, that left me with severe vertigo for a half a day. I could hardly stand up. It’s the only TIA I’ve had since the original strokes, and it resolved and I was able to get back on my bike the next day without trouble. But it convinced me that it just wasn’t prudent to take the NC750X cross country right now. What if I had a similar event while riding half way across the country?

So I found a 2005 awd GMC Safari cargo van with 88,000 original miles, did a “van life” conversion on it, and took that and camped in it instead. I had a good comfortable cot in the back of the van and a rigid roof top tent for friends who joined me for part of the trip. I did stay in a hotel about once a week on average to get a shower.

I left Massachusetts on September 5 and drove 12,500 miles through 29 states. I visited

Mammoth Cave National Park, Kentucky
    Cumbres & Toltec Scenic Railroad (steam engine narrow gauge train), Colorado
    Pikes Peak, Colorado
    Garden of the Gods, Colorado
    Arches National Park, Utah
    Canyonlands National Park, Utah
    Bryce Canyon National Park, Utah
    Zion National Park, Utah
    North and South Rims, Grand Canyon National Park, Arizona (and took an airplane tour of it!)
    Griffith Observatory, Los Angeles, California
    Sequoia National Park, California
    Yosemite National Park, California
    Humbolt State Park Avenue of the Giants (giant redwoods), California
    Yellowstone National Park, Wyoming
    Devils Tower National Park, Wyoming
    Mount Rushmore, South Dakota
    Acadia National Park, Maine

I was on the road for 9 1/2 weeks total. I kept my daily travels down to 300-400 miles a day.

In the future, if my health holds up, I’m definitely going to trailer the NC750X out to Colorado and repeat the Colorado/Utah/Grand Canyon (and possibly Yellowstone) segment of my trip.

I’m enjoying the NC750X tremendously. I’m also currently looking at the mid drive electric bikes, as you mentioned above. It will never replace a motorcycle but I love riding bicycles too and can certainly use the assistance of an ebike given my recent health troubles.

By the way, I learned to ride on CT70s and CT90s. I’d love to pick up a CT125!
  15. Tewster2

Oddometer:
    Hey Brian good to hear from you my friend! Thanks for the update on your health, travels, and congrats on you getting a van for traveling...I LOVE the van life. It's fun being the "grandfather" when meeting other vanlifers on the road :lol3
    I pray your health will be well in the future so you can enjoy life and the beautiful areas of North America and beyond.

Let's try to get together sometime this summer....here's my tentative thoughts where I'll be:

Jan/Feb....out in the southwest for the winter with the buggy

Mar/Apr....probably back in FL

May/June/July....back out west....Dust2Dawson....Alaska (back to Deadhorse again on the Rally)

Aug/Sept/Oct....out west....doing some of the Back Country Discovery Routes in ID/UT/AZ with friends in the buggys

As usual I'll probably be like a squirrel in the middle of the Interstate with my plans as they all seem to evolve in many different directions as time goes by.

Take care of yourself and have a blessed time traveling in the van and the NC :thumb:thumb

16. Tewster2

Oddometer:
    We will see...he's now a coach for a Hooter's Girls cheerleading squad :-)
    adventurebound9517 and Taff1 like this.
  17. BrianInPA

BrianInPA Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Great! I’m in the process of moving from Massachusetts to Strasburg in northwest Virginia, so I’ll be somewhat “closer” than before, Plus the winters will be a lot more mild than what we had in New England; they just got 20” of snow where I used to live there.
  18. Tewster2

Oddometer:
    Enjoy. Virginia is a beautiful state.
    BrianInPA likes this.
  19. Tewster2

Oddometer:
    Getting ready for Dust2Dawson next summer....I have a reservation at the Bunkhouse with a 2 twin bed room all set. Will check in the afternoon of 17 June and check out heading to Fairbanks 20 June...can't wait to get back to Alaska.

I'd love to have a Circus reunion :-)
    AK_Hoff and CavReconSGT like this.
  20. djroszina

Oddometer:
    I’m tentatively in, but may be a more abrieviated trip with Dawson City / D2D and Tuk if weather is nice as my turn around point. I would also fit in Hyder on the way up. No trucks or trailers, just bike.

Is any of the Circus doing 3 Step this coming May?