Tewster's Traveling Circus 2018 (Alaska planning stuff)

Discussion in 'Americas' started by Tewster2, Aug 8, 2017.

1. Tewster2

Tewster2 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Will probably drop into Mex at Douglas Arizona and head south from there.
    Rapturee2, djroszina and refokus like this.
  2. gpax

gpax 2018 Honda NC750XD

Oddometer:
    Does Taff still have his Africa Twin and is he going this year? My son and his family from California are coming on Saturday. First of June we are going to Raleigh and visiting my other son's family. In July my "son" from Norway is coming with his girlfriend. This could be "the one".
  3. Tewster2

Oddometer:
    Taft and a buddy of his are doing their own ride this year. Hopefully we’ll all meet up somewhere in Alaska.
    gpax likes this.
  4. gpax

gpax 2018 Honda NC750XD

Oddometer:
    I've got to be honest with you. I liked my solo trip in April. People ask me, "You rode a 650 all the way to California?" Yep ... and back ... 6,140 miles. "You went with a group, right?" Nope ... by myself. "Wow. That's crazy." Nope. I had a blast!!!!!
    Rapturee2, refokus, rubline and 5 others like this.
  5. gpax

gpax 2018 Honda NC750XD

Oddometer:
    Stop at Tombstone ... and Bisbee has a premo mining museum on the way to Douglas. US-191 ends at Douglas. Do US-191 from Alpine to Clifton. My favorite motorcycle road. The Devil's Highway. (Old US-666)
  6. Ohio_Danimal

Ohio_Danimal If I die trying, at least I tried Supporter

Oddometer:
    We just may cross paths once you get South of the border Tewster. I'll probably be crossing into MX early Sept., but am taking a LONG slow ride there, not having to be in Panama until 1st week of November.
    Hope to see you on the road
    Hi-De-Ho likes this.
  7. Tewster2

Oddometer:
    That would be great. I've never been to Mex before. I'll probably only be there for a few days before I head back up into NM. Just getting a little taste of the country this time. One day before I croak I hope to see more of the Americas.
    Rapturee2 and djroszina like this.
  8. fjmartin

fjmartin Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I did 8 days in Baja last year. It was incredible. The people was super nice. We avoided the tourist cities and stayed in small towns. Great food, cheap lodging. They’d let us park the bikes in the court yard. Driver’s were great as they’d either pull off the road to let us pass or would turn on their left blinker to let us know it was safe to come by when in the hilly areas. I want to go back sometime! Don’t drive at night as cattle and other critters roam the roads.

Joe
    Tewster2, djroszina and Hi-De-Ho like this.
  9. TUCKERS

TUCKERS the famous james

Oddometer:
    Villa Maria Sanitarium, Claremont, CA. USA
    Baja is what I call 'Mexico Light'....like Bud Lite......a good introduction.............
    and COWS......YAHHHHH!!! google 'hit a cow in baja'......I managed to broadside one in bright daylight!
    djroszina, Tewster2 and Hi-De-Ho like this.
  10. Tewster2

Oddometer:
    Gave Pearl a kidney transplant this morning and injected her with fresh Shell Rotella T-6. Now it's just waiting....

And...put on my first stickers! Thanks for all the help and input Mark! I'll see you in AK :thumb

IMG_3392.JPG

And....,the Wolfman bag with my spare front tube is mounted upside down on purpose. This way the zipper is on the top...when I had it mounted the other way with the zipper on the bottom, the wind would blow it up like a balloon!
    gpax, wncstrada, AK_Hoff and 8 others like this.
  11. TUCKERS

TUCKERS the famous james

Oddometer:
    Watch out for this guy (Andrew). Just left my home in Los Angeles and is headed for the Arctic Circle on a fully farkled DR650 with Mosko luggage. 89E34227-CB1C-4F1A-A3EC-1D354DFD6577.jpeg
    Baccadon, rodrigzj, gpax and 8 others like this.
  12. Tewster2

Oddometer:
    Will do!
  13. Tewster2

Oddometer:
    You know...I just read the beginnings of a RR where the OP is riding 11,500 miles from his home in the south up to the Arctic and back in 30 days. He also will be flying to NY in the middle of the tide to attend a family function for a few days. Even without the trip to NY he'll have to AVERAGE almost 400 miles a day for 30 days straight. That doesn't take in the construction delays, etc. Man I wish him luck but it would kill me.
  14. gpax

gpax 2018 Honda NC750XD

Oddometer:
    I am wishing you good weather, smooth pavement, beautiful scenery, lots of good luck and joyous moments. I am sitting this one out this year. Send lots of photos as I watch from the bench. Without your help, Tim, I could have not experienced the joy you helped bring into my life. Thanks for everything!!!!!
  15. Tewster2

Oddometer:
    Thanks Greg
  16. TUCKERS

TUCKERS the famous james

Oddometer:
    Tuk is going to be busy. My guy just re-routed and is headed there instead of Prudhoe! I want him to go to D2D but he wasn't too keen?
    Hi-De-Ho likes this.
  17. Tewster2

Oddometer:
    “Tuk is going to be easy”...probably not.

D2D is too much fun to bypass. He may never get there again and it’s right on the route.

I’m sure the dempster will be great but when any adv rider hears that he rode to Alaska they will always ask if he rode the dalton. All he can do then is hang is head down and say “no”. Then they’ll call him a pussy :lol3
  18. Colemanfu

Colemanfu King of all manfu

Oddometer:
    I got a sticker for ya!

[​IMG]

Sorry we haven't hooked up to talk AK. I'm leavin in exactly 3 weeks 6/6.
    We'll be at the van show at Destination Daytona in Ormond this Saturday from 12-2 with the Colemanvan if ya want to come and visit and pick up your sticker!
    GSAnderson and Tewster2 like this.
  19. djroszina

djroszina Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    To the unwashed and uninformed I won’t say whether I rode the Dempster or the Dalton, most people couldn’t find them on a map if their life depended on it. What I will tell them is I rode my motorcycle to the shore of the Arctic Ocean. Sorry Daltoner’s, you come up short on that, lol.
  20. DSM8

DSM8 Where fun goes to die....

Oddometer:
    @Tewster2 one question and I cant seem to find this in your thread.
    Why did you decide to make the switch over to a DR650?
    Great choice BTW I LOVE those bikes.
    Did a complete frame upgrade on a friend of mine's bike he was planning to take through SA.
    Added a bunch of gussets and such on the know weak points like the bolt tabs on the rear subframe area and such.
    :ear

The frame was I think an 06 or such, and the metallurgy of said frame was wonky at best in some areas, not the best quality steel so made tig welding a challenge in certain areas. Mig would have been a better choice in some areas.

Gallery URL: https://dsm8.smugmug.com/Motorcycles/Modifications/DR650Frame