Tewster's Traveling Circus 2018 (Alaska planning stuff)

Discussion in 'Americas' started by Tewster2, Aug 8, 2017.

1. djroszina

djroszina Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    ^^^That is very cruel to show those mods just a few days before the guy leaves for AK...It’s like the guys who on the Dakar forum at the last minute tell me of all the potential pitfalls of the bike just before I’m leaving myself...watch out for this, watch out for that, screw it, I’m just going for it as is.
    Bacca, Hi-De-Ho, JBird and 1 other person like this.
  2. Tewster2

Tewster2 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I wanted simple, reliable, pretty light weight, easy to find parts, and maintain. So basically simple like me. I travel pretty light, don't do anything rough, so the bike should work well. If I was headed to SA then I'd probably strip her down and add some bracing.
  3. Tewster2

Oddometer:
    Got the Family Cabin at 3 Step Hideaway reserved for the nights of the 30 and 31 May for Jeff, Ben, and me....whew got lucky with that! Will spend the next day riding the Lasal Mountain Loop, Shafer Switchbacks, Hwy 128 along the Colorado River, poking around Canyonlands, and then a nice dinner in Moab before heading back to 3 Step for the night.
    Bacca, gpax, Hi-De-Ho and 2 others like this.
  4. djroszina

Oddometer:
    A quick excursion is Deadhorse Point SP. The overlook is ...well, you'll just have to see for yourselves.
    Hi-De-Ho and Tewster2 like this.
  5. DSM8

DSM8 Where fun goes to die....

Oddometer:
    Something to note the stock mounting points are prone to cracking even with moderate weight.
    When you get home take of the rear plastic and have a look if you see cracks starting it is easy enough to correct jut removing the paint/powder coat they you is a real bitch, we media blasted the whole frame in your case you might get away with just exposing the rear subgrame and the bag the rest of the bike to clean only the parts you need.
    Soooo envious of these AK trips you take...
    Tewster2 likes this.
  6. twowings

twowings Comfortably Numb... Supporter

Oddometer:
    After watching Tim's previous RR videos, I'm confident his riding style and packing expertise won't compromise the OEM engineering...:beer Have a blast, Tim!!!!
    Rapturee2, Folly1, Bacca and 5 others like this.
  7. flyhi2cfar

flyhi2cfar Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I've been keeping up with the effort. I'll second the above post... have a terrific ride Tim.
    Remember... it's each mile & one day at a time that comprise a great trip!

"travel'n" john
  8. Tewster2

Oddometer:
    Thanks John. I'm looking forward to my slowest trip yet....the way I have it laid out I only have to average about 7 miles a day :lol3
  9. djroszina

Oddometer:
    Isn't that the Starbuck's and McDonald's bussiness model??? To have a store every 7 miles...
    Bacca, Hi-De-Ho and Tewster2 like this.
  10. Tewster2

Oddometer:
    I started the bike build with a dry weight of around 340 (not sure but close) pounds after removing a bunch of stuff I won't need. Then this stuff was put on her.

Saddle bags.......................................................17 pound each
    dry bag..............................................................16 pounds
    tent.....................................................................6 pounds
    bike cover.............................................................2 pounds
    tank bag.............................................................10 pounds
    racks/skid plate/brake/windhield/other stuff...........25 pounds

Rode her down to the scales today...with about 2 gallons in the tank she came in at 441 pounds completely packed and ready to ride on the trip. Scale operator said the scales could be +/- 15 pounds either way. I'm pleased.
  11. Hi-De-Ho

Hi-De-Ho Mad Scientist Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Have a great ride, Tim.... another great ride. Be safe, and enjoy the journey.
    djroszina and Tewster2 like this.
  12. gpax

gpax 2018 Honda NC750XD

Oddometer:
    Take lots of photos for your peanut gallery. I had to ditch all those because of a lost snow day, my wifes "lost" sunglasses and a temp repair to my side case frame. Update: Had the frame welded and I'm back in business. I am still having a problem with the V-Strom being too high due to my damaged legs (growth centers killed in an accident when I was 15. Inseam 28 instead of 31. ) Triumph makes a Tiger 800 XrX LOW with a low seat. Heard much about that bike? They don't have any at my local dealer right now to throw a leg over. Anyways, I have those Utah places on my rain check list for later. Old Grizz may want to meet me in Utah to ride them.
  13. Tewster2

Oddometer:
    I don’t know anything about the triumphs. I’m sure others will chime in with info. Most so called adventure bikes will be high. Why not get more of a road bike? They work just fine for the roads you and I ride.
    gpax likes this.
  14. ChicoProf

ChicoProf Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    You know, if you're just going 7 miles a day, you could cut some more weight by removing the engine and installing some pedals!
    :hide
    Bacca, Tewster2, MikefromNL and 4 others like this.
  15. gpax

gpax 2018 Honda NC750XD

Oddometer:
    Great plan. And, don't forget to take every fourth day off for a rest / maintenance day. LOL
    MikefromNL and Tewster2 like this.
  16. Tewster2

Oddometer:
    slane6, ShineySideUp, rubline and 4 others like this.
  17. djroszina

Oddometer:
    I just wanted to give a personal shoutout to Zenni optical for my new presciption glasses. These are my first "progressive lenses" both for distance and reading. They also tint in direct sunshine. Lately when wearing dimestore sunglasses my gauges were blury not to mention my GPS and maps. Distance was starting to suffer too, so I took the plunge and got these. They also cut down on nighttime glare...best $200 spent in a long time, and can highly reccomend.
    CavReconSGT, wncstrada and Hi-De-Ho like this.
  18. Hi-De-Ho

Hi-De-Ho Mad Scientist Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Whew....now you won't be confusing the Dairy Queen for the Starbucks. Must have been embarrassing to ride that BMW into the Dairy Queen parking lot, thinking you were pulling into a Starbucks, only to find out that once you stopped the bike, you realized that all the other bikes in the parking lot were Goldwings. :jack
    Bacca, rubline and LeMaitre like this.
  19. worncog

worncog YBNormal Supporter

Oddometer:
    You will like them once you train your brain to move your head to have to field of view centered. Took me about a week.
    djroszina and Hi-De-Ho like this.
  20. Steve_h

Steve_h Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    You will like those progressives. Like worncog said, once you get yourself trained to look through the proper area to see what you want to see. I love the tinting too. I didn't get it on mine and I wish I had. I'm sure you know but if they are plastic lenses, they scratch real easy.
    djroszina likes this.