Texans Utahing 500s for a 1000 Yeehaws

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by TexasStevo, Sep 8, 2021.

1. TexasStevo

TexasStevo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    You bet! KTMCarhart works hard to get those shots and carries that damn thing on his back for hundreds of miles. And I spend a lot of time waiting on the deploying/retrieval. You know the results are pretty damn cool.....but my heart just wants to ride! Glad others are enjoying it, I know how the desk riding goes!!
    Ginger Beard and bikerjim2000 like this.
  2. TexasStevo

Oddometer:
    Never get too much Utah.....I'm already planning next year's big ride. Trying to decide, some Idaho BDRish stuff with a lot of miles involved or another home grown smaller Utah loop that has harder riding mixed in. Its all so confusing!!!
    Ginger Beard likes this.
  3. RedDogAlberta

RedDogAlberta High Plains Drifter

Oddometer:
    I love Idaho and so close to here. The Sandpoint and Lake Pend Oreille area is magnificent. Great camping. I can’t speak for the trails though as a pavement rider.
  4. TexasStevo

Oddometer:
    Idaho looks beautiful. Just can't make up my mind about how to skin it if I do it. BDR looks like too much of it is easy and the diversity isn't as diverse as Utah? Ridaho GRIT stuff isn't what I want to do for a week of vacation, sprinkled in a little is fine....but I don't want the death spines at all. If the BDR and the GRIT had a baby, that is what I am looking for :-)
    RedDogAlberta likes this.
  5. scimmione

scimmione n00b

Oddometer:
    Capisco!
    gr
    essere
    best regards
    TexasStevo likes this.
  6. TNC

TNC Candyass Camper

Oddometer:
    Steve, I definitely agree with your observation of Utah. While it's hardly the only beautiful and awesome place to ride, the vast majority of it is very different from a whole lot of other great riding destinations. One other thing it can offer in spades is solitude. You can still really "get away" from the tourist hot spots and well worn destination rides with very little effort...aka, Moab. I've found camping and riding locations in southern Utah where for several days I didn't run across but maybe 5 or 6 people...and that usually on a short pavement run to make another trail connection. Some of southern CO also falls within this description, but really those spots are basically just extensions of southern Utah...LOL! And for us Texans, southern Utah is one long day's drive if we really want to do so.
    TexasStevo and NoelJ like this.
  7. TexasStevo

Oddometer:
    I would have to check with KTMCarhart, but other than the circus of Moab and the short section of the TAT we got on where we saw that BMWX guy having trouble, we didn't run into anyone on the trail in our travels as far as bikes, hundreds and hundreds of miles involved. Spend a week in Colorado driving in a huge circle through the state on really cool terrain and you will lose count, lose time and have some close calls....not to mention the bike/jeep/utv traffic in the towns. We had similar good fortune last year in Wyoming with the solitude, Utah just has better riding in a more condensed package thus quicker diversity. I want to experience Idaho and see new to me stuff and would use my Africa Twin as the tool to do so (my planned route is 2400 miles), but KTMCarhart isn't feeling it as he doesn't have a big twin. So my options are probably do Idaho solo, find an Idaho mate or do Utah again with KTMCarhart on the 5Hundies.....just pick some new to us Utah stuff, it ain't hard to do. Thanks for the reply TNC, this is the kind of feedback I am looking for as I contemplate my big adventure for next year. Dreaming is free.
    NoelJ likes this.
  8. TexasStevo

Oddometer:
    Here is a little video of one of the cool sections we got to ride, a little slot canyon action. Wished we would have been running lighter and a little more familiar with the area....and fresher when we got in there. Keep in mind we are pretty new to the drone world, this is raw stuff, no fancy music, no narrating, just riding. It does show off that drones abilities though! We (KTMCarhart) hope to put together a little greatest hits video from this trip as well, we (you know who) are just a little slow at going through all the editing etc. [​IMG]. When you GoPro and Drone for a week, it is a lot of footage to play with and can feel daunting. For now, hope yall enjoy this little ditty!

9. joenuclear

joenuclear Still here....

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]
    Does anyone else see an aging Ryan Reynolds?
    Yellow Pig likes this.
  10. TexasStevo

Oddometer:
    I don’t, but I’m going to be sure to tell my wife she better enjoy this awesomeness. And I looked it up, I’m only aged 3 years older than him!!

upload_2021-11-4_21-43-52.jpeg
  11. joenuclear

joenuclear Still here....

Oddometer:
    Rough 3 years! Credit to Dirt!
  12. TexasStevo

Oddometer:
    You might want to update the poster you have hanging in your garage, he ain't no spring chicken neither :-)

upload_2021-11-5_8-20-31.png
    Ginger Beard and joenuclear like this.
  13. MT Hillbilly

MT Hillbilly n00b

Oddometer:
    the drone playing peekaboo with that cottonwood, was IMPRESSIVE
    TexasStevo and Zubb like this.
  14. RozzyCat

RozzyCat Bleeds orange Supporter

Oddometer:
    @TexasStevo Here ya go - http://www.tourofidaho.com/TID.htm
    TexasStevo likes this.
  15. TexasStevo

Oddometer:
    Thanks man. I poked around on there before and checked out other rider’s reports. I like some of what see….some of it makes me apprehensive. I want to strike a good a balance so I don’t just wear myself out for a week straight, all day. I need to spend some more time researching that entire part of the world! Thanks brother, I’m going to poke around some more.
    RozzyCat likes this.
  16. Ginger Beard

Ginger Beard Instagram @motopossum Super Moderator

Oddometer:
    This was a great read, super stoked to finally get to catch up on it! Thanks for taking the time to put this together! :freaky
    TexasStevo likes this.
  17. TexasStevo

Oddometer:
    Cool, I'm glad you enjoyed it and thanks for the props. Sometimes you wonder if it was all worth it doing the reporting, especially as you go. But I do get some enjoyment being silly with it and my family likes to follow along and feel a little part of it as it is happening. Figure bike folks can enjoy it as well when stuck in the real world. I know I enjoy other's ride reports immensely!!
    bomose, vt700guy and NoelJ like this.
  18. TexasStevo

Oddometer:
    Yup that was cool, I think it has 6 cameras just for navigation. I was watching it the first time and trying to move my head around the tree :-)