Texas -> COBDR -> Texas

Discussion in 'Americas' started by strong9472, Jun 30, 2020.

Tags:
  1. strong9472

strong9472 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    In the planning stage for my first big ADV trip in August. August 4-6 I will ride from Dallas to Steamboat Springs on my 2015 R1200GS where I will meet my brother, who is trailering his KTM 790 from Tennessee. From there we are going to take the COBDR to Telluride. My wife is going to fly up and meet me in Telluride for 5 days of R&R. Then I'll make the ride home.

Any advice is welcomed. I have done some extended on-road trips and have done an off-road school. But this trip will be putting it all together.

I'll be using this thread to chronicle the trip.
  2. jna

jna Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Good time of year to go however you will still get some afternoon rain storms so try and start early each day and get over any high passes before 2pm. If you are going to stay in Telluride be sure and take the section from there and ride to Groundhog Reservoir, that is a good section and offers good views of Mt Wilson and Lone Cone. We usually start at Dolores and go south to north the switchbacks north east of Groundhog get pretty dicey if it rains. Also do Last Dollar Road if you have time, also dicey after a rain, at least with two people you can help each other if you need to pick up a bike.
  3. strong9472

strong9472 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Great advice. Thank you.
  4. strong9472

strong9472 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Ready to roll in the morning.

q27Vdl0 - Imgur.jpg ddQzb79 - Imgur.jpg
    Blenderdriver likes this.
  5. Tricepilot

Tricepilot Bailando Con Las Estrellas Super Moderator Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Did the COBDR North to South on a KTM 500. Take your time on a fully loaded GS like that. The West side of Ophir Pass will be your graduate school. Have fun, it's one of the most scenic rides in America.
  6. shrederscott

shrederscott Long timer

Oddometer:
  7. txbear55

txbear55 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Hope you like rocks! LOL! Airing down your tires a bit will help. Good luck!
  8. strong9472

strong9472 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    First two videos from the trip:

9. Eddy Alvarez

Eddy Alvarez Motorcycle ADD Supporter

Oddometer:
    Keep the videos coming! I LOVED the COBDR. P.S. When you get home, flip your American flag around, its hanging backwards. Stars should be in the top left corner.
  10. strong9472

strong9472 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    It was a blast and very tough at times. I was my GS. My brother had his KTM 790, and my buddy Billy was riding a rented Africa Twin. I skipped the last day (Lake City to Telluride). I was just too exhausted from riding up to CO and then being on the COBDR for 3 days. Given the weight of the GS and my skill level (or lack thereof), I'm glad I did skip that day. I would love to go back and do it though with a smaller / lighter bike or once my skills have improved. I will post the other videos once my brother is done producing them.

If I were to do it again (assuming the same skill level), I would probably look to skip the steeper / rocky sections. 95% of the ride was just fine. However, I wasn't super comfortable when I had to ride the GS like a dirt bike. We will see. But I definitely want to do something like this again.
  11. strong9472

strong9472 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    LOL. How embarrassing? Will do.
    Eddy Alvarez likes this.
  12. Eddy Alvarez

Eddy Alvarez Motorcycle ADD Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'm just happy to see people that hang Old Glory with pride! :thumb

And yes, I did the COBDR on a WR250 and the Utah/Idaho BDRs on my DR650 (IMHO the DR is the perfect BDR/ADV bike). Some sections in CO would have definitely been sketchy on my GS. Especially the steps on Black Bear Pass (not part of BDR and downright scary even on a WR250. :eekers
  13. strong9472

strong9472 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    The following is video from our third day on the COBDR. It was a pretty long day, but awesome. Quite a bit of fast riding on dirt roads. Some of the two track stuff was a little tough for me as it was rutted and rocky. I only had one spill that was late in the day on an easy two track. I just lost my concentration and went down. No damage.

14. Tricepilot

Tricepilot Bailando Con Las Estrellas Super Moderator Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Very well done reporting and nice camera work and story telling! Consider telling the tale in Ride Reports.
  15. strong9472

strong9472 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thank you. I will post all the videos to Ride Reports once my brother finishes the last one.
  16. strong9472

strong9472 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Just noticed that the first pass out of Buena Vista is mislabel in the video as California Pass. That is being corrected.
  17. strong9472

strong9472 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Last one: