Texas GSer Ride

Discussion in 'Regional Forums' started by Scary Mc, May 15, 2002.

1. Scary Mc

Scary Mc hellgrammite Supporter

Oddometer:
    How does the 25th of May work for everybody in the SA/Austin area?

lemme know- Scary
  2. skttrap

skttrap n00b

Oddometer:
    The 25th will work for me. Is there a mailing list or only these threads?

Tim Hudson
  3. Scary Mc

Oddometer:
    Just these threads.

I'm going to try and set the ride up as an on and off-road ride. I'm still working on the route, any good off-road areas that you know of are greatly appreciated.

Scary
  4. Stephen

Stephen Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    25 may, I'll pencil it in on my calendar, yeah like I've got a calendar.

As to off-road, well, shit, rare as cool days in the summer in Texas. Anybody got a big ranch we can tear up?

Off-pavement (hey, I'm doin' this for Lauren, okay?) opportunities? Well, some of the neatest dirt roads I've found out this way are up northwest of Fredburg. But plenty of fun to be had northwest of Johnson City, nearer to you. Don't let the name fool you, best to bring your own Johnson.

Gimme a holler offline, Gary, if you want to go over some specific routes. I love maps, though I usually ride without. And I've never been lost, though I was confused for a while one time...

Standing by...
  5. AA5IB

AA5IB Wannabe Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I think that was when he was following me. I highly recommend riding the Click Road. South of Llano. I'd be delighted to tag along, but my daughter is graduating high school that weekend, so I will have to make the next one.

Randy:confused

Attached Files:

6. Scary Mc

Oddometer:
    Randy- please give us directions to that road.

Stephen- Any rout recs. are appreciated.
  7. tcrider

tcrider G/S Rider

Oddometer:
    A G/S (GS) ride? here in the hill country? of course I want to go. The more the merryer. Stephen probably knows the roads the best, from what I Guess. That should'nt discourage us to much if he says there aint much off road. We'll all go together and root it out. Its gotta be out there somewhere!
    Ted:super
  8. AA5IB

AA5IB Wannabe Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Scary:

Here is the route from a ride a couple of years ago that includes the Click Road. The James River Road can be interesting too. It's starts and end in Fredericksburg, but you can pick out the parts you want.

Unpaved/Paved Route:

Depart the Peach Tree Inn heading north on US 87. Turn right on US 290. Turn left on RM 1631. When you arrive at the intersection with RM 2721, veer left and stay on RM 1631. At the intersection with RM 1323, turn right. Wave good-bye to those who aren't lucky enough to own a GS or F650! In about 2 miles turn left on Althaus-Davis Road. At the Blanco County line the pavement ends and the road becomes Blanco County Road 310. In 7 miles CR 310 becomes RM 3347. Last year there were a lot of Bluebonnets along this stretch. At RM 962 turn left and then turn left again when RM 962 dead-ends in to SH 71. After traveling 3.4 miles turn left on Llano County Road 310. At the community of Click, turn right on County Road 308. In just about 1 mile, turn left on County Road 315. Along this route, the last of three crossings of Sandy Creek can be a little interesting. Arriving at SH 16, turn left and about a half mile later turn right on CR 113. Next you turn left on CR 112 which takes us right by the home of Enchanted Rock Magazine at the Triple Creek Ranch. When CR 112 dead-ends into RM 2323, turn left and go about 4 miles and then turn right on CR 110. This will take us to Loyal Valley. Here we'll turn right on RM 2242 and then another right on US 87. Then we go about 8 miles and turn right on Lower Willow Creek Road. At the intersection with SH 29, turn left and head into Mason for some BBQ at Cooper's. Head south out of Mason on US 87 and at the roadside park veer to the right on RM 1723. A couple of miles later turn right on RM 2389. After crossing the Llano River RM 2389 becomes a county road. Hang a hairpin right and you will be on the James River Road. Depending on how high the James River is, we may have to turn around and backtrack to US 87. Turn right on US 87 and go south about 10 miles until you reach RM 783. Turn right on RM 783. (If the river isn't too high, we'll follow the James River Road all the way to Eckert Road. We turn left and then after about 0.5 miles we turn right on Salt Branch Road. When we cross RM 783 we'll be on Lange's Mill Road.) At Lange's Mill Road turn left and follow it until it intersects RM 648. At RM 648 we take a left and follow it to US 87. Then we turn right on US 87, and 11 miles later we are back in Fredericksburg.

Attached Files:

9. Stephen

Oddometer:
    Yeah, Click is awesome stuff. First discovered it about fifteen years ago on the old RS. I was chuffed when I found I could do 70mph on the RS two-up on an unpaved road. There are a number of roads in that area that are fun. If it ever rains again, there will be some major mudholes. And yes, R11's can be ridden through deep mud, but it's, uh, exciting. And after riding up there all these years, I marry a swell dame, and turns out that the old gal with the ranch up there that I've been waving to is my stepdaughter's dad's sister's mother-in-law.

Hey, Randy, good to hear from you! Thought you could hide behind a call sign, eh? Veee haf vays...mostly, after 2+ weeks, I'm still waiting on the FCC to post mine. Already ordered a Yaesu dualband HT. Now if I can just get my ridin' pals to get their tickets, I won't have to wait so long next time my chain goes "sproing." Unless they got the iPod cranked up all the way. BTW, we went back out east, stayed mostly south of 290 this time. Very different, interesting terrain. So, did your wildflower ride happen? Not many flowers this year, but some down near Ottine.

What y'all can't see in AA5IB's photo is that under all the water is solid limestone full of wheel-eating grooves, all slicker than tire-snot. The James river was once the heart of Apacheria in Texas. I've heard there is still evidence of a large Apache community on the west bank, just upstream from the Bat Cave. I almost always enter that area from the Salt Creek end. If you continue west on that road instead of forking north down the James (only river in Texas that flows south to north), you'll find some long lonesome and very rough roads. Haven't explored all of them, specifically the ones to the south towards Segovia. Gotta be outstanding. I want to go hunt for the source of the James; about a hundred springs up there. Oughta still be flowing for a few more weeks, anyway.

As for more route recs, well, what do we want? Desolation, sand, stream crossings, twisties? All of the above? How long a ride?
  10. Scary Mc

Oddometer:
    I'd like to ride as many dirt roads as possible. Rough, sandy and desolate is fine with me. Stephen, you seem to be much more familiar w/ the dirt roads around here than me. I think the James River area is a great idea...

I was thinking we could meet at the picnic area just E. of 281 and 290. Any better ideas?

-Scary
  11. Stephen

Oddometer:
    I'll start stringin' somethin' together, with your perverted desires in mind.

Hmmm. How 'bout a place with food? Little Mexican place on the west side of 281 in Johnson City, just north of the 290 West turnoff. I'm rememberin' the name, I'm rememberin'....no I'm not. Durnit.

Howdy, there, Ted! Took me a second to recognize that the fine red Highland Coooh is you! Comin' along for this one? Damn, you're gonna kick my ass in the dirt again, aren't you? Folks, you should see Ted's HPN-equipped G/S. It's a beaut. And he rides it like doesn't give a shit about it. I'm just glad it sounds so nice from behind.

If we're goin' out towards the James River, we'll need an early start. How early are y'all willin'? Let's see, the 25th is a Saturday, so....awwww, holy shit, that's my wife's birthday. Crap, she's never gonna tell me where that box she keeps'em in is on her birthday, not til late in the evening, anyway. Tellya what, I'll come up with a route, post it and y'all can take it or leave it. I can probably swing a ride that gets me back by noon. Not enough for the whole James River Expedition, but some fun for sure. Dammit, what was it she said she wanted for her birthday? Hell, I gotta put the KLR POS back together, too.

Later, my brothers. Gotta lotta woik t'do.
  12. tcrider

tcrider G/S Rider

Oddometer:
    Well Guys,
    I went for a ride sunday and found some of the roads Randy mentioned. Thanks Randy. I got a late start so I only touched on some Interesting roads but there is some promish out there perhaps. I'm willing to give it another go this weekend. I am not neccessarily set on saturday but it could be early either day.
    Actually, Stephen, I am quite fond of my bike. How could I have given any other impression? Did I ride that hard? I must be clueless. Nevertheless, Me and my bike survived to go out and play another day. Looking forward to it! Please give my happy bithday wishes to the missis. We don't want our wives and girlfriends thinkin were out riding with the hoolgans now do we?
    Ted
  13. Rob Z

Rob Z Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    :cry :cry If I can talk my wife into letting :cry me come, can I even if I ride a Tiger :cry :cry Not that I feel left out :cry or anything :cry Hell my wife may nix the trip anyway :cry No Body Loves Me. :cry :cry
  14. Scary Mc

Oddometer:
    I picked Sat. the 25th for no particular reason, I'm able to ride either Sat or Sun.

Is there a day of preference? Would you be able to get your balls back for Sunday, Stephen?

I'll be at Lonestrar BMW tomorrow around 3:30 if anyone want to hang out for a bit. I'm going to get a Vanson fitting!!!!!:drums

-Scary
  15. Rob Z

Rob Z Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    OK, My very EXCELENT and THOUGHTFUL wife has given her approval for me to take off this weekend.

So how would you "GSers" feel about a Tiger tagging along? If you say no I may have to resort to insults and doing doughnuts in your yards :evil

My plan is to leave Dallas Friday afternoon and head South. Beyond that I have no schedule.
  16. Scary Mc

Oddometer:
    I don't have a problem with an inferior bike, such as the Tigger, tagging along:evil ...:rofl

-Scary
  17. bear

bear Guest

If all goes well I should have my bike back this weekend. I would love to head out on the dirt, I will let scary know what is up with my ride.
  18. Stephen

Oddometer:
    If you like it, then we're all very happy for you. Hell, I'm ridin' the Great Blue Moose KLR. I dare you to ride an uglier bike.

Aw, hell, kwicherbeliakin, we're crazy about ya. Of course, we don't really know you. We might feel differently after we pull that giant lump of British Pride outta the creek.
  19. Stephen

Oddometer:
    Sunday would be better for me (I am quite devout, worshiping every Sunday morning at the church of my choice on the back of my motorcycle), but I don't want to queer the pitch for everybody else. I can ride all day Sunday.

Vanson! awright. My pal just got his perfs. He's very pleased. And ventilated. Note: they want to make the pants short. They expect you to tuck them into your hightop racing boots. The Vanson lady my friend spoke with was pretty insistent. He overcame, and got the length he wanted. Weird.
  20. Rob Z

Rob Z Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    :arg Creek. Sure what the fuck it needs a bath :evil