Texas GSer Ride

Discussion in 'Regional Forums' started by Scary Mc, May 15, 2002.

1. Trailace

Trailace Dumb Ass

Oddometer:
    Can I come and tag along? I've never had the GS off road yet so it should be interesting. It would be great to meet some of my follow Texas riders.

Hey Rob Z what are you plans for Friday night?

I was thinking of camping at http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/park/blanco/blanco.htm Friday. Let me know.

Trailace
  2. Scary Mc

Scary Mc hellgrammite Supporter

Oddometer:
    TA and Rob Z- Blanco SP is RV and screaming kid hell! I would recommend Guadalupe SP, about 10 miles from my house. I might be able to put y'all up for the night Sat., but I gotta ask the boss lady first... let me know if your interested. We've got a nice place, you can ask Bear.

So, does Sunday work for everybody?
  3. Trailace

Trailace Dumb Ass

Oddometer:
    Scary,

Thanks for the info. :drums

That would be cool but don't want to impose. If it doesn't rain it should be great outdoor weather. So I think I'll head to Guadalupe SP.
    :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl

TA
  4. tcrider

tcrider G/S Rider

Oddometer:
    I have ridden on my G/S with everything from Ninjas to xr-200s so I guess a tiger fits in that range somewhere. I can't imagine it being a problem on any roads we will find anyway.
    Guys.... I guess I don't see a ride that far out as being over by noon. Stephen? would you want to ride part way? I am still open to suggestion but like the idea of meeting at a place we can eat and keep an eye on the bikes. I hope the cooler weather keeps a little more........
    Ted
  5. Rob Z

Rob Z Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Don't worry, I'll keep it slow for Y'al :rofl
  6. ADVridertex

ADVridertex Flying Forward

Oddometer:
    I'll be heading down to Austin to ride with a buddy on Saturday, but he's on an R1150R and won't be venturing out onto the gravel roads and stream crossings and such. I would love to ride with everybody on Sunday if I don't head over to Houston. Where will the ride start? That is if you don't mind me joining up. I just got the black GS Adventure and I'm dying to get it into it's element and covort with some fellow GS riders...and I guess a Triumph rider, eh Rob Z I wouldn't mind? I promise I'll leave my drinking problem at home and be a nice guy. I also have this great trick I can do with my prosthetic brain.:rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl
  7. Stephen

Stephen Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I remembered it: El Maguey. Tiny place, mama makes the huevos rancheros they way they should be.

Presuming we meet at El Maguey in Johnson City, the route goes
    North on 281
    West on 962 in Round Mountain for 6 or 8 miles
    West on some little ass FM Road for a few miles
    North on an unpaved county road, across Sandy Creek on low water slab through Click (two buildings last time, maybe fewer now)
    West on another unpaved county road which crosses Sandy Creek twice, in the sand to Texas 16
    South on 16 to FM 965
    South on 965
    West on one of a number of county roads, eventually crossing FM 2323 and ending up in Loyal Valley
    West from Loyal Valley on one of a number of county roads, eventually ending up on Salt Creek road, crossing the James River, ending up on FM 365 or 1871
    Loop around to the south, then east, back towards Doss (I'll have to look at my maps this evening to find the route)
    Into Fredburg for grub, or to the Hilltop if it's open--best food for miles, Cajun-Greek-French, should have bread and veggies for Scary.
    Call it a day and haul ass home.

I estimate the described route at between 150 and 200 miles, probably more than 2/3 unpaved, good bit of sand. The roads in the western end might be very rough, even rutted, maybe loose, who knows? Might be smoother than the streets of downtown Austin. I could ride it all on a /5 with some white-knuckle action. I've done it all on an airhead GS, some work but all fun.

It will be in the 90's by afternoon, so I suggest an early start. I can be at El Maguey before 0800, or even earlier.

As Gary is the Capo della Strada for this one, I propose to leave to him the final decision on
    1. rendezvous place
    2. time that wheels will roll from rendezvous
    3. route
    4. date (Sat or Sun)

So, command us, oh captain. We place our destiny in your hands.

Note that there are a number of places to bail out if anyone has to get home or just turns chicken. No disgrace--yeah, right. I'm happy to suggest routes out. I can also suggest entertaining or fast or traffic-minimizing routes to Johnson City from various points in Texas. Just holler.

One last thing: bring water with you. A snack might be prudent, too.
  8. Rob Z

Rob Z Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    TA and I are planning on meeting Fri night at Guadalupe SP and stay the night. I am open for a ride on both days.

Of course the park is full for Sat night so we may be camping behind the local Wal-Mart or Pub :thumb
  9. Stephen

Oddometer:
    Including the elevator boy, I count seven "likelies".

Wow, a bunch of bozos on this bus.

We might oughta run a group of four and a group of three, rendezvous at crossroads.

We'll get strung out if only from the dust. I rode pretty much this route in a little over six hours starting and returning to Austin, which adds 120 miles, when it was over 100F. But that was with just one other guy. It'll take us a good bit longer.

So y'all, express yourselves. Route is highly adjustable to our needs.

And dammit, anybody got a digital camera? advrider deserves some pics of this insane expedition.
  10. Stephen

Oddometer:
    There are alternatives.

I think the guy who runs the canoe livery where 281 crosses the Guadalupe has room for some tents. He's pretty moto friendly, if he's still the owner. He sent me and a pal down some roads on the place one time. I think he mostly want to see how beemers did in the mud. My kind of guy. Yeah, as I recall, it was a nice spot to camp. Trees. Grass. River. No mud now, for sure.

Too bad Edge Falls ain't a campground anymore. What a place.
  11. ADVridertex

Oddometer:
    Digital camera lost in Mayheeko.

Don't know if I'll be able to join up but I'll be doing the ride anyway. I've looked at my maps and it looks like a great ride to try. I'm semi-familiar with the area so maybe I'll cross paths with you along the way.

Do you run into any gates on CR 315 near the two Sandy Creek low water crossings?
  12. Scary Mc

Scary Mc hellgrammite Supporter

Oddometer:
    Stephen- The route sounds great to me!

Captain? Man, I just set the idea and the date out there, I'm not sure about the Capitan thing.

1. Asumming that Magueys is in Johnson City it will work for me.
    2. 9am rollout works for me
    3. Stephens fine offraod route is cool, lets do it!
    4. Sunday.
  13. tcrider

tcrider G/S Rider

Oddometer:
    Well is it a plan we have then?

9AM departure from: this place called Magueys, Steven's route, Sunday.

OK then with me.

Lets ride clyde! Its gonna be a GS train. Like they say for the African rallys: Train-Train-Africaain

Ted
  14. AA5IB

AA5IB Wannabe Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    If you are lucky you can get Johnny to fire up the Jukebox loaded with old 78 rpm blues records.

Attached Files:

15. Rob Z

Rob Z Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Any recomendations for us that will be down there on Sat would be cool.
  16. AA5IB

AA5IB Wannabe Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:

Nope.
  17. ADVridertex

Oddometer:
    You might want to try some of these roads that I have heard about in Blanco County.

Starting in the southeastern part of the county near Blanco you can pick up CR410 off of FM165 east/north.

Between US290 and FM2766 there is CR202.

North of Johnson City off of US281 north there is CR301 which connects to CR302 in a little town called Cypress Mill located on FM962.

A good map to have is called, "The Roads of Texas," prepared by the Texas A&M cartographic labratory. It shows everything down to the dirt roads, county by county.

I would love to explore these on Saturday, but I've already made plans to shred some pavement with another riding buddy.

Good luck! I'll try to meet everyone in Johnson city on Sunday morning for at least a partial day ride.

See you there...
  18. Cliff Bass

Cliff Bass Thanks Bronson

Oddometer:
    Scary MC and his rowdy friends....I'd like to join you for the Sat. ride. JocFlier told me about the site and since I live in Wimberley and am relatively new to the GS scene suggested I hook-up. If you're still on for the ride let me know when & where and I'll meet you and follow your dust.
    Cliff
  19. bear

bear Guest

If my bike is ready Friday, I will be ready to go for a ride on Saturday. I can go for a little while on Sunday too, but I have to be back for my Brother's going away party. He is going back to seminary to get his Dr. and start mission churches.
  20. bear

bear Guest

I just picked up my bike an hour ago. I am ready to ride Saturday and Sunday. Now what time and where are we meeting?