Texas GSer Ride

Discussion in 'Regional Forums' started by Scary Mc, May 15, 2002.

1. Stephen

Stephen Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    So, we leave El Maguey (W side of 281, just N of 290w intersection, JC) at 0900, Sunday, 26 jun.

Excellent.

If you go to http://www.topozone.com and search on, oh, Round Mountain or Click, you'll be in the right neck of the plateau (this route is really a pretty neat transect of the Llano Uplift, if you want to hear geology, lemme know, but be sure to tell me to shut the fuck up when you're tired of it) and maybe the route map below will make some sense. But it 's just off-pavement, not off-road :rofl And I didn't bother to work out the western end; we'll be in adventure mode by then, maybe even lost if things work out right.

Attached Files:

2. Rob Z

Rob Z Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Well so far we have Clif, Bear, Ta, Me (Rob Z) all for a Sat Ride.

Now we only need a meeting place and a route :confused

Stephen, Can you step up to the plate and recomend a ride for Sat ? I have the Texas Roads book but not the Best Rides of Texas book (think the name is close) If you can drop me an email or call me at (h)972-496-0214 I will take the load of trying to put this group together.

I do want all to know I have never set up a ride or led a ride. But what the hell, the worst that can happen is we have a ride ---Right??

As TA and I will be staying at the Guadalupe SP how about starting from there, say 9AM on Sat. ??
  3. ADVridertex

ADVridertex Flying Forward

Oddometer:
  4. Stephen

Oddometer:
    Texas Roads...good book, if it's the one from Schafer (sp) and the A&M Lab. DeLorme sucks.

Let's see, from GSP, hmmm...the dirt roads are all well north of there. Most of the roads directly west are paved--just not many roads at all out that way...I'm thinkin'...there are some dirt roads just upriver, around Waring and Welfare, some real pretty river crossings. I'd be inclined to nip up on those backroads to Sisterdale. Avoid Luckenbach and the beer-swilling day-trippers. South and west of Fredburg are some lovely roads, out towards Tivydale and Morris Ranch. A paved-twisty alternative would be to just head west on 46 (yucky, but have faith) through Bandera (good grub at the OST) and Medina and over the ridge on 337, zig the zag in Vanderpool, continue west to Leakey (pronounced Lake-ee). BEST CURVES IN TEXAS. From there, you can go any way: loop back through Utopia (good burger joint, nice little park); or west to Camp Wood (more twisties) and access to a dirt road up the Nueces Canyon to the north; or directly norht on 83 or 336 and back east towards Kerrville (avoid the town proper--lots of traffic). Or cut over towards Mountain Home and find the backroads to Fredburg. Fredburg will be crowded with day-trippers at the antique and shitshops. Some of the restaurants are real good, some fabulously lousy. The brewery has swell beer and okay grub.

I'm slammed here today; sorry I can't be more detailed, but there's a ton of good scenery and riding out that way. Kinda depends on how much time in the saddle you want. I'm more familiar with off-pavement north of 290 than south, and there seems to be more of that up there. I have found that ground truth is different from the maps south of 290--personal experience, but I don't mind getting lost.

Guess you might just have to go adventuring!
    Bon voyage.
  5. Stephen

Oddometer:
    All the small roads around Blanco are swell, paved and unpaved. Can't always know what the road surface will be from time to time; they pave the dirt ones and rip up the paved ones.

Don't forget, with the drought and the moon, critters will be active around dawn. Expect deer, and buzzards around the roadkill, which will be abundant. Be alert.
  6. Scary Mc

Scary Mc hellgrammite Supporter

Oddometer:
    Crabapple School RD. outside of Blanco is a great time. Take it slow, it's beautiful but has lots of bad pavement and blind, tightcurves. At the 'T' intersection at the end of Crabapple you can take a right and head towards Kendalia, once in Kendalia you can take a right a head towards Sisterdale (check out the Sisterale store, lots of history) and Luckenback. Luckenback is an intersting place as long as the crowds of beer swilling assholes have not arrived on their HD's.

If I can find a sitter I'll track you guys down on Sat.

-Scary
  7. Rob Z

Rob Z Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the ideas for rides. We wlll have fun just being out :):

For thoes wanting to do a Saturday ride. Meet us at the entrance to the SP at 9AM. I will turn my cell phone on while we are waiting. 469-231-6101

I'm leaving Dallas in about 30min so will be out of touch till I see you there.

Rob Z.
  8. Waco

Waco Renegade Sickle Hound

Oddometer:
    Damn, wish I'd known about this sooner! I'm in Marble Falls for the weekend with my GS. Was the ride Saturday or Sunday? If it hasn't happened yet, I might be able to make a Sunday ride.
  9. Scary Mc

Oddometer:
  10. Waco

Waco Renegade Sickle Hound

Oddometer:
    What a ride! Man, am I sore! I definitely need to brush up on my sandy, washboarded, and rutted dirt road riding skills. I'm not sure what kept me from going down in some of the water crossings. Had fun, look forward to the next one.
  11. Trailace

Trailace Dumb Ass

Oddometer:
    :fall :fall Two days of great riding and great people. Now I can put some faces with names, however with this grope that not such a good thing.:puke

Thanks Scary and Bear for showing us around. Also thanks Stephen for running the show today.:thumb

Rob Z Hope you made it home ok.

TA
  12. bear

bear Guest

Hey it was great to ride with all of you this weekend. Trailace and RobZ I enjoyed showing you a little bit of the backyard I get to ride in. Hope we can do this again. Maybe, Scary can keep his GS upright next time.
  13. Hacksaw

Hacksaw Long timer

Oddometer:
    Wouldn't let me it....:(:
  14. Trailace

Trailace Dumb Ass

Oddometer:
  15. Hacksaw

Hacksaw Long timer

Oddometer:
    Got it! Thanks, wished I could have made it..:1drink
  16. Rob Z

Rob Z Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    This was a #1 in my book.

Friday left Dallas about 2:30pm. After fighting cage traffic on I35 I arrived at the park to meet TA arrount 9:00pm. My first face to name meet from this group. WE sat and shot the shit till about Midnight then called it a night as we were to meet at the park entrance at 9am. As we only were able to stay at this park one night we had to fully break camp and load up. I'll not get to farr in to this but TA's banana offer worried me for a while :rofl

Saturdat we met Scary (only one that showed up) to begin the day ride. He showed us a camping site closer to his home where we could dump our gear for the day and spend Sat night. From that point on TA and I were lost. With Scary in the lead we hit several FM roads and some very cool dirt roads. There were several close encounters with deer, buzards and other assorted wildlife which turned out to be the norm for South Texas dirt roads. We madt a rather nice loop stoping for breakfast/lunch where we were met up by Bear and someone whoes name I forget.

Forgeting names is a resuly of that part of my brain never fully developing, so it happens quite often :(:

Anyway, after lunch Bear, TA and I took off for an afternoon dirt ride. As TA and I were already lost I can only say we went South from where we were which was somewhere West of where we started :confused

We spent the afternoon flying down one dirt road after another. It was intertwined from time to time with some paved racetracks :evil .

As we neared the end of the day TA said he needed a DAM picture. Come to fine out he is in a pool with some other riders, each putting in $10. Each rider is to take as many pics of a Dam with their bike in the shot as possible. Points are awarded based on distance from home.

So we race all over hell (South Texas) to get a DAM picture. We finaly find a very cool place to take a pic and decide to go to the other side for another DAM pic. As we are eating upp the road in some nice twisties my chain ( remember I'm on the Tiger ) begins slaping my center stand. When we stop I decide the tighten my chain. I park, place foot on center stand, lift bike, break centerstand, DROP BIKE. This was not in the plan. After we pick up the bike and find the Thunderbike crash bars are the only thin that got even a scrach I felt better. Bear offered to put my now un-mounted center stand in his case. And yes I heard about parts falling off my bike the rest of the weekend :(: :rofl :(:

Bear split from us shortly after that promising to return my part in the AM. TA and I got direction on getting back to our camp site which was somewhere North of us.

I could wright a entire report on our night at this camp ground. Lets just break it into Good parts and bad parts.
    Good - Tents about 6' from nice river.
    Bad - Loud music from several directions, All night parties, VERY loud thunder and lightning storm beginning at 1:30am. rain (luckaly light) Wind, camper leaving for fear of MAJOR storm VERY LITTLE SLEEP. :(: :(: :(:

Sunday we climed out of our tents to the ctorm frount moving off and the beginning of a great day. Bear arrived ( with my parts), we went to Scary's house to drop our gear and headed North to meet the rest of the group and have breakfast. We had a total of 9 bikes by the time we left eating for our adventure. We broke into two groups with Stephen leading group 1 and Scary leading group 2. We did about 15 miles of paved and then left for parts unknown for the next 3+ hours. Once the wildlife dodging became a norm, but we all had a blast. Stephen setup a fantastic ride and showed us some very remote areas. The ride consisted of 99% unpaved roads which had Sand, Gravel, Washboard, over 1000 cattleguadr crossings :huh some now dry creak beds and everything inbetween. I'm not sure is anyone did not have at least one close call. Well except Scary that actual droped his bike perty hard. But unlike the Tiger the day befor :mad: remainded intact.

About 1:30 the group split as each had miles to go to get home. TA and I followed Scary. First because our stuff was at his house and second because we were still lost. I now know why so many have GPSs mounted on their bikes. And after following Scary at 90mph throuh turnes posted 45 I know why he has a radar detector :evil :evil

TA and I left Scary's home ( which is a fantastic place and location) heading for the interstate. We had lunch one final time and went our different ways.

This was an excelent weekend and my writing abilities do not do it justice. I will get my pics posted tonight from my dig camera. the film shots will take a while.

One last thing - Not only did my wife allow me this weekend, but while I was away she found and bought me a boat. It is truly amazing what people sell at yard sales. It needs a lot of work but all I can say is I LOVE MY WIFE :):

Thanks to all for a great ride.
  17. Scary Mc

Oddometer:
    Rob, you might want to move this to 'Trip Reports'. It'll get more press there.

-Scary
  18. Scary Mc

Oddometer:
    Great report, Rob! What kind of boat didja' get?
  19. Rob Z

Rob Z Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Just did.

Any bruses show up after your off seat adventure on Sunday :eek:
  20. Rob Z

Rob Z Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    A very used one :rofl

Look here Boat