Texas Hill Country - Off Road Routes

Discussion in 'GPS Tracks - Central, Texas & Gulf States' started by ExodusRider, Dec 13, 2018.

1. ExodusRider

ExodusRider ExodusRider

Oddometer:

Attached Files:

Sonny S., Mopar63 and BoomerE30 like this.
  2. Tigger's Toy

Tigger's Toy Beast Rider Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    I live in Houston and rode the sisters during this summer. I’m going to do this ride for sure. Thanks for sharing!
    BoomerE30 likes this.
  3. BoomerE30

BoomerE30 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Im also Houston based! Let me know if you decide to organize a group trip, would def love to join!
  4. Tigger's Toy

Tigger's Toy Beast Rider Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Will do!
  5. BBJIdaho

BBJIdaho BBJADV

Oddometer:
    I am in The Woodlands, you put something together let me know. Rode the twisted sisters in November and it was great.
    BoomerE30 likes this.
  6. GeneralClortho

GeneralClortho Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Houston (Katy) based here too, but temporarily bike-less, something I hope to remedy within the month. Maybe we could meld our minds for a hill country ride this fall. I am not knowledgeable about the dirt roads but know where a lot of micro-breweries and distilleries around the west of Austin, North of San Antonio, East of Fredricksburg area in the hill country.
  7. GeneralClortho

Oddometer:
    I picked up a CRF250L Rally last week, and working it over a bit, picking up tools and gear, doing small rides to hash out things, etc...

I have been searching but does any have a .gpx file for the Sam Houston National Forest ORV trails?
  8. X-wing fighter

X-wing fighter Do or Do not, There is no try!!!!!! Supporter

Oddometer:
    I do miss the twisted sisters! So many great routes in the Hill Country. I never had to look for off road routes as I grew up on a ranch just outside Boerne. I took all that for granted though. Alaska is a place of great splendor and wonder, but for locals its all out and back, no such thing as a quick afternoon loop! I will cruise the sisters again!
  9. GeneralClortho

Oddometer:
    I am putting together half a dozen tracks that are 90-150 miles each, attempting to include as much dirt as I can find in each area. Three are around the Brazos river west of Houston. Three are in the hill country around the Blanco, Lukenbach, the Canyon Lake area. I have created them, but have only personally run about 75% of the first one so far. It is maybe 20% dirt but mostly narrow, back country roads.

Once I get them all run and tweaked, I will gladly share the gpx files. I never understood that mentality where folks spend all that time and effort to build a track, brag about how great it is, and hoard it like their granny's chili recipe. I suppose either they expect thousands to follow it and ruin it for them, or they feel in-powered to have the knowledge over others. Heck, I am partly doing this to give to the dual sport community, and maybe we can plan some rides.
    Sonny S., m931a2 and lrsmathe like this.
  10. GeneralClortho

Oddometer:
    I am attaching a gpx file of the ride I created and finished vetting last weekend. It is maybe 20% dirt, about 125 miles, starts and ends at Bucee's on I-10 in Katy, and is easily done on a big or small bike. The scenery is about as good as it gets in this area as as back country as I could find. There is a side route in Sealy for a lunch stop at a Mexican food restaurant about 2 hours into the ride. If you stop to eat lunch for an hour, this is a 4-5 hour loop depending on your speed. You can also stop and check out Stephen F Austin state park and a museum in San Felipe to make a full day of it.

Attached Files:

Tigger's Toy and Sonny S. like this.
  11. m931a2

m931a2 Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Thank you