Texas to Florida in November

Discussion in 'Americas' started by RoyalWolf_53, Oct 5, 2020.

1. RoyalWolf_53

RoyalWolf_53 n00b

Oddometer:
    Fellow inmates, I (67 year Old Codger) am planning a road trip starting November 25, 2020 from Amarillo, Texas to Key West, Florida. Must be in Key West on November 29th before Noon. Staying in Motels on the first half of the trip. Would like to see some of Florida, East Coast on my way down to Key West. Looking for an interesting, mostly paved route with Motel and camping on way back to Texas. Starting on Tuesday, December 1, 2020. No rush on the 7 day ride back home. Any recommendations along the way, Which areas to avoid, Which ones not to avoid.
    Covid-19 restrictions?
    2018 BMW R1200GSA

Thanks
  2. Sidney

Sidney Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I would imagine you're going to hit Thanksgiving traffic so plan for that on the way down. Don't speed on Florida 1 down through the Keys but don't be shy pushing past slow traffic on the one lane sections. Most people will pull to the right and let you by. (Not legal.) I'd ride down to Everglades National Park and also across Rt 41 (do the loop road scenic drive.) You'll need a lot of local knowledge to route you off Interstates and traffic light congested state routes.

Enjoy,

Sidney
  3. Sjoerd Bakker

Sjoerd Bakker Long timer

Oddometer:
    Playing the old fart card , are you ?:gerg

Okay , I admit I’ve never ridden “ from Amarillo to Key West “ but speaking as “a young vital 73 y old “I have over the years ridden the many roads one could use to connect the two, AS A TOURIST !’I think your planning has it slightly backwards . At that geriatric age you claim you are probably retired and should not need to be setting yourself such a tight time limit for getting to Key West , before noon yet , while also imagining a scenic diverted route along the Florida east coast and some off- roading to boot .Your First Day will probably be partial so that’s only about 3.5 days left for riding the distance to KW. You do need to be awake and alert to steer the GSA , so cut out any thought of doing two iron but days of nonstop riding .
    My thought is that you should give yourself much more time if you really want ( need?) to do the east coast on the first leg. Better to give it some more days to do a relaxing ride from Armadillo on the outbound OR leave all the Florida exploring and east coast city -scapes for the longer duration return leg .
    Pick up a paper map at a welcome center and follow the thin black lines , county and state roads , beyond the famous tourist burgs . In spite of its flattishness Florida still has not-commercialized to death parts that can be entertaining and many backroads are very lightly travelled .
    Even more so if you have never yet been in that state .

4. BUZZARD II

BUZZARD II Old Geezer

Oddometer:
    I've spent a lot of time in the Keys in years past. Whatever you think you'll do on your schedule, forget it on the Overseas Highway. Overloaded pickup trucks pulling campers and boats will drag you down. The Monroe County Sheriff will track you by plane on the bridges. They love nailing out of state motorcycle riders. And the ticket business has fallen off since last March. They have to make up the revenue.
  5. RoyalWolf_53

RoyalWolf_53 n00b

Oddometer:
    Everglades National Park and Rt 41 looks like a route I should try.
    Thanks for the Advice
  6. RoyalWolf_53

RoyalWolf_53 n00b

Oddometer:
    I think I will take few more days riding to Key West. I just need to be at the airport in Key West to pick up my wife on November 29th. We are staying with friends in Key West for 2 days. Then I will head home.
    Thanks for you good advice.
  7. Nuclear Fishin'

Nuclear Fishin' Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    If (and only if) you need a tagalong while you’re in Florida, I’d be down to meet you somewhere and burn several hundred miles with you down to Key West. I’m in Port St. Lucie and could meet up with you just about anywhere in the state.

One thing to not forget about is toll roads. You should be able to get on the Florida turnpike website and sign up for toll by plate. Some of the exits here don’t have booths to pay. Signing up for toll by plate would eliminate having to mount a transponder or having to stop and pay. It would also give you access to the service plazas (Sun Plazas) every 45 miles for easier gas and meal stops.I-95 can be a nightmare and US-1 has a stoplight what seems like ever 50 feet in some stretches.

The islands off the East coast can be a beautiful ride in spots, but you have to be careful choosing which ones to hit as some don’t have bridges at both ends.

The northern half of the state is pretty much over dealing with the virus and doesn’t have mask mandates. Most counties down south have mask mandates, but not all. St, Lucie county has masks, but Martin county doesn’t. Everything is pretty much open without restrictions to seating capacity as far as I know.
  8. RoyalWolf_53

RoyalWolf_53 n00b

Oddometer:
    Have been watching all of the Covid spikes. They have brought mobile morgues in to Amarillo to help handle things. It might be a good idea to stay closer to home. Depending on the weather, riding the Texas Gulf Coast and Big Bend area might be a better choice.
    When things get back to more normal, I will sure try a ride to Florida.
  9. Nuclear Fishin'

Nuclear Fishin' Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I’m planning on heading to Phoenix and possibly Denver the 4th or 5th. I’m planning on a two week or so trip.

I spent 4 months under lockdown in Qatar and dealing with restrictions here. I’m over it and heading out.