Texas to Georgia - Give me your top spots.

Discussion in 'Americas' started by zekd, May 14, 2020.

1. zekd

zekd Based in Austin, Texas.

Oddometer:
    I'm planning a trip in August and wanted to ask the community for any good roads / spots I should hit along the way. I have not chosen a route yet - just starting to build it. Throw anything my way, from must ride roads (dirt/asphalt) to food joints - anything in between Central Texas to South Georgia is fair game.

E
  2. Jamie Z

Jamie Z I'm serious. Supporter

Oddometer:
    Well... might help to let us know from where in Texas (Austin?) to where in Georgia.

Also... what kinds of things do you like? Are you looking for good food along the way? Museum/historys? Curvy roads?

Honestly, I'd just hit I-10 and pin the throttle, because it's going to be freaking hot in August. I know. I lived in Memphis for almost 20 years and rode through lots of summers.

In any case.... a few things that I like along the way. WWII museum in New Orleans. Food in New Orleans. USS Mobile in Mobile, AL: WWII Battleship. Down the road from there is the National Naval Aviation Museum in Pensacola. Barber Motorsports Museum in Birmingham.

If you're more about ridin', you could catch the Natchez Trace Parkway in Natchez, Mississippi and head north from there. It goes to Nashville, and the best part of the road is around Nashville. But if you're cool with moderate speed (don't speed!) sweepers through some well-maintained forest, and an occasional historical stop, Natchez Trace isn't too bad. Some people get bored with it.

If you're headed to northern Georgia, a loop through east Tennessee will find you on a lot of fantastic motorcycle roads.

Jamie
    spokester, hamish99 and zekd like this.
  3. AwDang

AwDang Enabler

Oddometer:
    Barber museum is a must see.
    zekd and Jamie Z like this.
  4. zekd

Oddometer:
    Natchez Pkwy & Barber sound great. Appreciate those suggestions. Definitely looking to hit a few National Forests roads along the route. I'll be headed to Atlanta but hitting Chattanooga, TN first so I will be sure to hit Tail of the Dragon.
  5. e rock

e rock Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Ditto on Barber. If you’re taking I-10, Tallahassee to Thomasville Georgia is nice.
  6. klaviator

klaviator Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I wouldn't go out of my way to ride the Natchez Trace, it's nothing exciting. Lots of nice riding in NE Alabama and into TN. We have some nice curvy and scenic roads or we have steep hairpins that make the dragon seem easy, it depends on what you want. East TN, WNC and N. Georgia all have fantastic roads If it's a weekend stop by Two Wheels of Suches for a bite to eat and the chance to see a lot of bikes in one place (If the weather is nice). Lots of great roads around Suches, both paved twisties and fun forest service roads.

If you go to the Barber museum, head over towards Mt Cheaha afterwards. Nice riding there, paved and unpaved. Suches, Ga also tends to stay fairly cool.

One thing to consider. It's hot as hell in August in Alabama but tends to be much more comfortable at higher elevations in the ETN, WNC and NGA mountains. I'd consider getting there the fastest way possible, except maybe a stop at Barber, and spending as much time as possible at higher elevations. Even on the hottest day its cool at the top of the Cherohala Skyway.
  7. zekd

Oddometer:
    Started marking all your suggestions. Appreciate it.
    EM 2020-05-14 at 11.01.31 PM.png
  8. Tenacious B

Tenacious B Long timer

Oddometer:
    I've taken 28 through LA before and frankly I'd rather ride I-10. It isn't terrible, but boring and kind of slow, and didn't seem to be many interesting places to stop (granted I didn't look too hard). I-10 is faster and actually more scenic as you pass through the Atchafalaya Basin, and I59 up to Meridian is a pretty decent stretch of interstate too (some gentle rolling hills and little traffic). I don't like interstate at all, but preferred that route to 28. When I go to Atlanta and just trying to get there (vs searching for twisties) I take I-10 to Baton Rouge, I-12 to I-59 up to Meridian, then I-20 through Tuscolusa, Brimingham, and on to Atlanta.

Natchez Trace is pleasant and nicely isolated, but pretty slow if you are reasonably close to the 50mph speed limit. It gets progressively nicer as you get closer to Nashville since the geography gets better.

You could also go up to Shreveport, Memphis, then cross over to Chattanooga. Crossing Tennessee will be more enjoyable than anyting further south, but it is a longer trip if you have time constraints to worry about.
    zekd likes this.
  9. zekd

Oddometer:
    That's super helpful. I think I will head from Austin towards Shreveport, then Jackson, MS and cut Northeast to Chattanooga.
    Tenacious B likes this.
  10. kantuckid

kantuckid Long timer

Oddometer:
    From Chatt, TN when you go N just a tad then exit at either Cleveland or N of there. One route takes you into much of the prime riding east of Cleveland in NC & TN and the other one lines up with the Cherahola Skyway. The Dragon is only one of many, many roads in that area which extends well into VA , WV and KY.
    What type food? Birmingham, AL (Barber) has several famous BBQ places and we go every GK visit to a Tex-Mex thats on my personal all time list for Chile Rellenos and street tacos, etc.. It's called "Hotlanta" for two reasons, one, IMO, is why the mtns. are where you'll need to be when possible.
    Beware of Baton Rouge at 5pm in August. I had to shoulder ride there and it was spring time, too keep my aircooled MC alive.
    That part of LA (Shreveport) is what I'd call the armpit of LA...
    zekd likes this.
  11. zekd

Oddometer:
    LOL @ armpit. Trying to find a place to camp is proving to be difficult. I'm leaning towards Uncertain, TX. Looks like I'll have the chance to get some good photos of the swamps... and avoid the gators...
  12. zekd

Oddometer:
    Ok, this is roughly the final 3 days of my trip. Stay at my buddies place in Chattanooga, then departing there to head Northeast to the Dragon, then riding the Cherahola Skyway all the way to our AirBnB (Yellow Marker).

EM 2020-05-18 at 6.03.17 PM.png
  13. ssilliman

ssilliman Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    North GA 60
    NC 28
    to many to list
    zekd likes this.
  14. zekd

Oddometer:
    Thanks, I will be hitting North GA 60.
  15. NxtGoRnd

NxtGoRnd This Time Around, Wearing Out Tires Supporter

Oddometer:
    Good bit to see and do around Fort Payne, Desoto Falls State Park, Little River Canyon is excellent in my opinion twisties, gorges, rim overlooks a Nocalula Falls is nice. The ride on up through Mentone to Chattanooga is real nice as well. The area from Heflin up through Piedmont is beautiful part of the Talledega National Forrest. The Chief Ladiga Campground is very nice it is near Borden Springs Alabama just out of Piedmont and is just on the back of the national forest.

You can find info on the net and I can dig out pics of all these places if you are interested. Enjoy the Ride. Tony
    zekd likes this.
  16. zekd

Oddometer:
    Just added Little River Canyon the route and I will plan on staying at Chief Ladiga Campground. Thanks!

EM 2020-05-19 at 12.47.04 PM.png