TFT retrofit

Discussion in 'GS Boxers' started by Gone Troppo, Mar 21, 2018.

1. Max72

Max72 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hello Chris , ASAP i will try to encode dynamic esa with FA modified for 6AB .
    I need to see if there is difference in two ncd cafd’s files.
    I would be interesting have cafd of ESA from tft bike.
    Small connector 6pin I don’t know what is... in ista there is no mention and wiring.
    AussieRider123 likes this.
  2. Tremblay

Tremblay Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    You don't need the BMW branded helmet comm, really any BT headphones should work. Once there is an audio output device paired to the TFT. Phone, and Media menus will be available/selectable.
    AussieRider123 likes this.
  3. AussieRider123

AussieRider123 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    It will be interesting to see what happens when you encode it with the Dynamic ESA option. Not sure they changed the motor in the shock to allow automatic preload adjustment on the fly, I will look into that but you would assume they made it stronger.

Are you going to change the left hand switchgear to suit the new dash?
  4. Max72

Max72 Adventurer

Oddometer:

for now I do not know ... in the end I have an idea that I will have to change my knob .... even if it works without problems also the one I have now .... In my opinion I do not think it makes a difference about ESA. I am more inclined to think that it is a question of coding the ESA or even reprogramming .
    To tell the truth, due to lack of time, I just noticed that the display of the ESA settings in the tft doesn't work, but I didn't actually verify if the bike gets up and down.
    Certainly the frame behind the cluster must also be replaced as that.

Anyone can confirm that bike showed in tft in bike info is a r1200gs adv? I have normal gs lc but it show me an adventure.
  5. AussieRider123

Oddometer:
    1:16 on this video shows a regular GS on the info screen. I guess you have to encode for GS vs GSA as it would also affect the fuel gauge and range?

6. skew

skew Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Max72, thats kinda odd that yours is showing up as an adventure as mine is a normal gs also.

20190618_193908.jpg
  7. Max72

Max72 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    hello guys, unfortunately no news ..... I don't understand why even after the VO coding is the GS ADV displayed? Basically I have two problems: the first is that ESA works physically by pressing the setting button, but the setting itself is not displayed correctly on the TFT. The second problem is the GS ADV bike on the menu. My intention was to be able to succeed with FDL coding on the TFT by manually adjusting parameters related to these two errors. Unfortunately I can't do it because the CAFD is still trimmed also with Pro 3.4 launcher (latest version) which supports however up to i-step 18-03-500 or so. So the ecu programmed with more recent software are still trimmed for the moment. It will take some time before it is decrypted. I tried to decrypt with the launcher also the TFT CAFD of @skew but without luck .... he has update 18-07-501 then more recent than 18-03-5 .....
    i hve tried to calculate a TAL for tft but also without luck , software update can't be done because the latest version of the software is already installed in my TFT. I'm stuck for now....

For the moment my idea is to swap GM (general module) with a most recent. ( this for ESA issue)

For ADV displayed i suppose is needed a firmware update with my vin.

This is error that i receive from ista:

IMG_9486.jpg
  8. AussieRider123

Oddometer:
    It's good to know the issues are quite small considering the age of your bike. If the KOMBI is coded for a GSA then I wonder if the fuel gauge/range will also be out.

What about updating all the other modules to the later version?

Latest i-level is 19-03-510 in v.4.17.40 but I assume you already know that. I'm waiting for v4.18 to be released
  9. turnerm

turnerm Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I’m still wondering if the 2017.5 bikes have the correct wiring harnesses to plug in a TFT. I’m hoping someone will try to swap it in.
    Some encoding would still be necessary though.
  10. Tremblay

Oddometer:
    I looked a while back and the wiring harness for the TFT bikes is different than the ones with the analog gauges iirc.
  11. AussieRider123

Oddometer:
  12. Max72

Max72 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    No is not the same...
    For TFT connector is 12 pin with ethernet output instead for analog is 8 pin without ethernet output. (Have a look at my post #37)
    Look at your link realoem .
    You must consider that wiring harness for analog is categorical number 61118350515 instead for TFT X6AB is categorica number 61118394904
    Tremblay likes this.
  13. AussieRider123

Oddometer:
    Yes, correct. I read the items in the link wrong.
  14. turnerm

turnerm Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Ok. There was some talk that the updated 2017 bikes had the same connectors to prepare for the eventual TFT which came out months later on the same bikes.
  15. Tremblay

Oddometer:
    The wiring harness is the least problematic part of this. @Max72 is going after the hard part, with great results so far!
    deadflagblues likes this.
  16. turnerm

turnerm Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have no doubt that Max72 will figure this out!
    Only problem is how do meat heads like myself do it??!!
  17. Tremblay

Oddometer:
    I’ve been trying to read up on the BMW software system, and modding. On that, @Max72 @AussieRider123 any pointers to recommended reading? I’m new to BMW, but not new to these types of applications.

I guess I should add that unless you have a really flexible dealer, you might not want to go down this path. It's a rather obvious deviation from spec, and from BMW's perspective a significant one. They also tend to look down on folks doing their own software loads.
  18. Max72

Max72 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    In this moment i am thinking how to force tft flash at the same istep..... this is really problem when you get a tft cluster just updated at last version.... and just in this moment i have an idea
    I will try and report back if the result will be good
  19. Ken Oath

Ken Oath Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Whilst BMW AG collects FASTA which can identify unsupported DME/DDE tunes etc. there is no such prohibition to coding or programming and to say otherwise is mendacious.
  20. Ken Oath

Ken Oath Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Just use E-Sys to 'downgrade' the KOMBI to whatever I-Level required.