TFX Suspension

Discussion in 'GS Boxers' started by michaeln, Mar 28, 2016.

1. beemerphile

beemerphile Unreconstructed Southerner Supporter

Oddometer:
    What was the price of your TFX setup?
  2. michaeln

michaeln What're YOU lookin' at? Supporter

Oddometer:
    A little over $1900.
  3. Cataract2

Cataract2 Where to?

Oddometer:
    Correct me if I'm wrong. I thought there was an upgrade to the ESA suspension that would allow you to keep the ESA side.
  4. michaeln

Oddometer:
    Two ways I know of to upgrade and keep ESA. One is that Wilbers has a setup where you can move the stock ESA parts onto a set of their shocks. The other is the Touratech / Tractive setup that completely replaces all of the stock ESA parts but plugs into the system and functions the same way. Option #2 is about $3300, IIRC.
  5. FireDog45

FireDog45 Knockin' on retirement's door

Oddometer:
    Minor thread hijack: I discussed both the WESA conversion and removing the ESA and going conventional with Ted before deciding on the Wilburs WESA set up. My reasons were cost ($1400 USD approx) and ease of use. The ESA is easier to change (settings) at the expense of not being able to fine tune things. I really like the ESA and can live with the settings it has.

We also discussed the expense of replacing ESA components in the future and the associated costs. I've decided that if that happens I'll remove the ESA bits and go conventional.

Changing out the suspension is going to involve some compromise be it cost, functionality or ease of use. Do your research and then choose which system will work for you and don't look back. It is nice having choices now!

Ride safe.
  6. michaeln

Oddometer:
    When I called Ted at The Beemer Shop I originally had intended to go with the Wilbers ESA conversion. After talking to me about how much I wanted ESA (not much), my riding style and where I like to ride, Ted stated strongly that the TFX was the better made product for me. I trust him, so went with the TFX.

Also, not that it matters much, but the TFX setup is WAY lighter than the ESA setup. I was amazed at how heavy those stock ESA shocks are when I got them out of the bike. I also felt that ESA is just more complexity waiting to go wrong, and I also enjoy the process of dialing it in with the clickers. You can't do that with ESA.
  7. michaeln

Oddometer:
    Did you get your TFX shocks in yet?
  8. FireDog45

FireDog45 Knockin' on retirement's door

Oddometer:
    That's why I tell anyone who asks me - talk to Ted. He knows the questions to ask and lays it out so you can make an educated decision.

I hear ya on the weight of those ESA bits and I'd be lying if I said that the potential for a problem with all the electronic stuff wasn't on my mind. At the end of the day the ESA was something I wanted to keep so that's why I went that direction.
  9. Trussmky

Trussmky Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Yup, they arrived last Friday, installed them over the weekend. Was able to run it around he block in between downpours, but nothing substantial yet. The bike feels very different between the added height of the longer shocks and better spring/dampening.
    On my stock shocks, I had the preload almost fully maxed out for everyday riding. The new preload is on the first click.
    I need to have the front brake line replaced with the longer one from an adventure. At full extension, there is a bit of tension on the stock GS line. I don't want to stress that line to the point it fails, so it will be a few weeks before I have a good report on performance.
  10. ElMartillo

ElMartillo I See Faces...

Oddometer:
    Put a pair of TFX shocks on my '02 GSA last fall. 130 up front, 140 w/Tractive remote preload on the rear. $1372 shipped to the US thru a buddy in England. I've been away all winter but the little riding I've done shows a real transformation from my old stock shocks. Better built, better price, at least comparable performance to the popular O and W brands.
  11. michaeln

Oddometer:
    I have the 130 in the front and the 142 with Tractive HPA in the rear.
  12. beemerphile

Oddometer:
    I don't understand what the $2400 USD represents. The W-ESA Wilburs I ordered for my camhead were $607 each plus $135 to swap the ESA parts over.
  13. michaeln

Oddometer:
    And I don't know what all this Wilbers talk is in a thread titled "TFX Suspension", but heck it's the internet, and we don't get to determine what others post.
  14. beemerphile

Oddometer:
    Most discussions wander a bit. It seems logical to me in a thread on TFX suspensions that a discussion of where it stands vs. the alternatives would be relevant. But since it is "your thread" I'll bug out of it.
  15. ElMartillo

ElMartillo I See Faces...

Oddometer:
    I am definately an anti-hijack advocate, but you did mention W's in your original post, so in this case I don't think it's off-topic.

On topic: Took the bike out today on the freeway a bit. I really dig my TFX suspension! Looking forward to getting it on some gravel, and more this summer :thumb
  16. dirtmech

dirtmech Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I installed TFX front and rear...external bypasses on both on my 08 GS...rekindled the romance I must say..I must mention that I did install GSA height shocks though..but then I had to install a GSA centerstand...and a sidekicker side stand..to compensate for the increase in ride height... post install...not cheap..but I'm happy with it..
  17. Trussmky

Trussmky Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Michaeln,
    Were you able to reuse the mud guard from your stock shock on the new TFX rear? I broke mine trying to remove it from around the preload knob, so I don't even know if it would attach correctly.

I still have not taken my bike off-load since installing my new shocks, I am waiting for the new front brake line to come in from Germany. But around town, they are great. Ride is firmer, yet feels much more planted, and comfortable.

A side benefit, my bike doesn't wiggle around on grooved concrete as much as it did with the old shocks. I have to assume they are related, but I wouldn't have thought so.
  18. michaeln

Oddometer:
    I did not use the mud guard from the stock shock because I have one of the Machine Art Moto "Mudsling" things on there, so the stock guard would not have been necessary.
    dmason likes this.
  19. beemerphile

Oddometer:
  20. Trussmky

Trussmky Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks, I will look into one of those.