TFX Suspension

Discussion in 'GS Boxers' started by michaeln, Mar 28, 2016.

1. bemiiten

bemiiten League of Adventures

Oddometer:
    Any idea of the spring rate on the front shock?
  2. michaeln

michaeln What're YOU lookin' at? Supporter

Oddometer:
    Ask Ted. He chose the right one for your weight and riding style.
  3. Rapid Dog

Rapid Dog bikes, booze, broads...

Oddometer:
    Any of you have the TFX on a non-ESA Low GS?

I just picked up a 2010 Low with 4500 miles on it. Wasn't looking for a Low bike but the deal was too good to pass on, figuring I'd do the shocks anyway.
    I've never had a Beemer that didn't need an upgrade other than the F800GT w/ESA I had.
    Riding it home with the full luggage I was surprised how decent the suspension was.
    I was also impressed by how comfortable I felt with the seat height on the Low. That said, dragging boots on Hwy 2 on the way home was a little iffy...
    So, now I'm on the fence whether I should actually raise the bike or not.

Ted's pretty much got me sold on the TFX 130/140's (no compression adjustment) over Ohlins which I can get at a killer price from Dan Kyle.
    My main focus being sport-touring and, for now, maybe 10-15% powerline roads occasionally.
    I ride 70% of the time street sans any luggage.
    What I want is supple, that being I want the high speed bumps, pot holes, rippled pavement that jutters the bike (and my back) smoothed out.
    My bones are too old for harsh suspenders.

Open to comments >>>
  4. kbroderick

kbroderick Long timer

Oddometer:
    Re: TFX vs Ohlins, I replaced the Ohlins rear on my 1150GS after it started leaking about 10k miles (and one year) after the previous rebuild. I admit to riding the 1150 in places better suited for a smaller bike at times, but the idea of pulling the Ohlins every year for a rebuild just didn't sit too well with me. I talked to Ted after hearing about the TFX shock, and after about half a year on it, I'm happy so far. More time will be necessary to compare longevity to the Ohlins, but performance both on and off the road has been pretty damn good.
  5. Rapid Dog

Oddometer:
    Interesting read.
    Thanks for leading me back to this thread.
  6. michaeln

michaeln What're YOU lookin' at? Supporter

Oddometer:
    BTW, I would not call the TFX setup I have "supple". It is stiff and controlled and leans to somewhat cushy, but not supple. I still feel all the bumps, but they don't knock the bike off line and the tires stay hooked up.
  7. Rapid Dog

Oddometer:
    Well...I've been through this before, having bought Wilbers from Ted back when I had my '01 R1100S, and had to send them back to him for a re-set-up.
    I realize it's a situation with lots of variables.

I know what Ohlins feel like, but I too think those goldies could have been better and fiddled forever with those damn knobs...
    I kind of like the idea of not having to adjust much more then preload and rebound as the TFX 130/140's have. (I liked the ESA bikes I've ridden!).
    My camhead has low suspension which I'm also liking.
    What I am not sure of is how much better for the buck the lil GS is gonna be for the buck.
    TwoTrackMind likes this.
  8. dmason

dmason goofball

Oddometer:
    Put a used TFX I purchased here on the rear of my 07 GS. Rebound and HPA. Even though the shock was stated as sprung for a much lighter rider, I have tons of preload adjustment available and am far from maxed out on preload, even with luggage.

During the initial test ride the shock was easily adjusted, with each change making a discernible difference while cornering and traversing rough pavement. I'm an aggressive rider and ended up with settings far from maxed out, meaning I have plenty of adjustment range still available.

Later, having just returned to Indiana from Arkansas and 2,000 miles of twisties, slab and forest roads and a few feet of actual trails, I am completely satisfied with the TFX shock and will be adding one to the front of the bike as well.
    michaeln likes this.
  9. dmason

dmason goofball

Oddometer:
    Took my daughter (140lbs?) for a two up ride for about an hour today. Bike was much more controlled vs. stock, and I STILL had some preload adjustment left. Amazing.
    roadchick likes this.
  10. Rapid Dog

Oddometer:
    ...Well after much research and agonizing I went with Ted's recommendation, the TFX 130/140 shocks, custom built height and all. Really looking forward to this...another 3 weeks to go.

This might help some of use struggling with the comparison questions we have when shopping for shocks, believe me I picked poor Ted's brain..,
    As a note, he carries all the top brands.

Ted said:
    "Touratech shocks are made by Tractive. TFX uses a few Tractive parts such as the very good hydraulic preload adjusters.
    The Touratech Explore shocks are excellent with an internal dividing piston, stainless bushings (not aluminum like most others) seamless cylinder (no top o-ring which can fail) reinforced seal heads, they are the most durable and best for heavy loads and off road riding.
    TFX is less expensive and better than Wilbers and Hyperpro for example. So it's sort of a good, better, best, scenario.
    Shocks like Ohlins, Wilbers, Hyperpro are good, the TFX is better, the Touratech by Tractive are best for adventure bikes. For street bikes it is less of an issue."

[​IMG] [​IMG]
  11. beemerphile

beemerphile Unreconstructed Southerner Supporter

Oddometer:
    To Ted's merit, he does not try to oversell. When I told him that I only use my GS as a street bike, he said to save the money and go with the Wilbers ESA conversion. That the TFX and Touratech were better at levels to which my bike would likely never be stressed. I am completely satisfied with his guidance, and I am sure that you will be as well.
  12. Rapid Dog

Oddometer:
    I picked his brain about the holy golden Ohlins which I've used on many bikes and can be bought for a good $400 less per set.
    I was surprised that his consensus was that Ohlins is falling behind on the motorcycle and especially on the adventure market, concentrating more on MotoGP, WSBK and auto racing applications.
    Everybody else is coming up with new and better stuff all the while.
    For us fat GS piggers the Ohlins just aren't built to hold up.
  13. LeeFromEngland

LeeFromEngland Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Just added the TFX 130 & 140 to my 2008 GS. First thing I noticed was the center stand didn’t get any of the wheels off the ground like it used to. I took it off the stand and sat on the bike and it was like sitting on a wooden horse...no give whatsoever. I may have messed with Ted’s adjustments when I installed them so I made everything soft again and will dial up my SAG setting when I have a buddy around to help.

They were a pretty easy install (I’m a bit of a newb in this stuff) and I only banged one knuckle adjusting the front shock.

Ted was very helpful on the phone when I ordered them and like others have said here, there was no up selling etc. He packaged up my shocks and had them in the mail within hours of talking to him.

I’ll be riding through that neck of the woods this summer with some buddies and might swing by and have him look st my setup to make sure I have it adjusted for best performance.

All in all I’m a happy customer. I will give more info on here once I’ve ridden it around for a bit. If this PNW liquid sunshine ever gives up.
  14. thomgonzales

thomgonzales Adventurer

Oddometer:
    When the front shocks of my 2012 GS started leaking, I also replaced my shocks with TFX 132 and 142. As I'm on the taller size, I used Adv height shocks, which required an adv center/side stands. Even with the Adv stands, the tires just barely clear the ground when on the center stand. I was able to purchase the stands from a donor bike via eBay at greatly reduced price.

Given Chicago's weather, I have only put a limited number of miles on the new set-up. It was much stiffer than the old "dying" shocks. As I also much heavier than what the OEM shocks were designed for and it was also very cold (mid 30s), I'm not surprised. I would be interested in whether yours soften up and your/ted's final dial in. I haven't touched his settings yet.
  15. LeeFromEngland

LeeFromEngland Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Rode in to work this morning and immediately noticed an improvement. There are a few speed bumps in my neighborhood and when I rolled over those this morning it was a massive difference. The bike feels more planted I’ll take it through some twisties on my way home tomorrow and see how it feels when I can really ride it. But even with the commute this morning I’m already a fan.

Hope to adjust the sag today with some work buddies so I’m certain it’ll be like a new bike when I ride tomorrow.
  16. smoltz

smoltz Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have TFX on my 06 GSA. The front was night and day. My bike has over 40k and front was unbelievably harsh. My brother has an ESA GSA with 20k and his front was a lot better than mine. The rear was an improvement too, but I should have gone for the piggyback reservoir. Bike just feels quicker. Front goes where I want. Gravel or pavement.
  17. Jordan6679

Jordan6679 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    So I have been running the 132/142 for a few weeks now and it doesnt feel like the front helped at all. Playing with the adjustments I can't seem to make any progress toward balancing the front and rear it tends to take severe hits in the front and soak up the rough pretty well with the rear. I do tend to thrash this 600# super tanker like a trail bike and would hope suspension at this cost would be helping me out more but I'm struggling. Anyway, I'm 220# fully geared, always ride with tools and spare gear in the top box (10#ish) and set the sag to the recommended 2.6". Where do you guys have the hydraulics set at? The front no matter how far I mess with the high speed dampening is abusive and the rear does not like to track well when chugging up loose terrain. It prefers to bounce around and buck while the front is taking real abuse. Any tips would be appreciated I'm new to this hefty bike it may be the nature of such a tank hauling ass to be so rough, I can't say. IMG_20190223_100434.jpeg IMG_20190223_100442.jpeg IMG_20190323_162003.jpeg
  18. RideOn2

RideOn2 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I did one of those"Short" Ted talks after buying a 2000 R1150GS. I also did the TFX. Very good choice, miles of smiles.
  19. Boxerbreath

Boxerbreath 2017.5 GS Black Storm

Oddometer:
    Ted set me up with a set of TFX shocks for my 2010 GS. Pretty nice ride. He da man!
  20. filterwrench

filterwrench Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I could not find a dealer here in Canada so got mine direct from TFX. Now I have to install them and try them out. 20190205_151056.jpg