TFX Suspension

Discussion in 'GS Boxers' started by michaeln, Mar 28, 2016.

1. edgeoftheworld

edgeoftheworld Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I bought a barely used set of 130/142s from an inmate here in November to replace my failed ESA shock on my 2009 GS with 48k miles. I had been talking to Ted Porter about ESA shocks when the TFX shocks showed up in the flea market. Originally he mentioned that the TFX were better but I had wanted to stay with ESA. When the TFX ones appeared, I emailed Ted about them. He was really helpful and said I would be getting a great deal on the TFX ones. I really appreciated that he took the time to answer questions about shocks that wouldn't be purchased from him. He was familiar with them since he originally sold them. I just got the bike out of storage this week so haven't really ridden much on them yet.

Anyone have some suggestions on how much to adjust preload when riding with luggage or a pillion? The manual adjustment stuff is all new to me.
  2. Boxerbreath

Boxerbreath 2017.5 GS Black Storm

Oddometer:
    As a note: Touratech shocks are built by TFX just some different spec and hardware like a bigger shaft I believe according to Ted.
    AdamChandler likes this.
  3. filterwrench

filterwrench Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I just installed my TFX conventional shocks on my 2013 GS LC today. I turned on the power and got an ESA warning on the display. Any way to gt rid of the warning? I have not tried them out as of yet but the install took some time. 20190411_155113.jpg 20190412_202440.jpg 20190411_190712.jpg 20190412_150301.jpg
    edgeoftheworld and AdamChandler like this.
  4. AdamChandler

AdamChandler Ascending n00b Supporter

Oddometer:
    Call Touratech Canada and order their ESA Delete dongle. You'll need two of them. https://touratech-usa.com/Store/Disable-Unit-for-BMW-Dynamic-ESA-when-using-Touratech-Extreme-Shock

This is why I tell most people with ESA Bikes considering saving the money and eliminating ESA completely for fully manual shocks re-consider because you'll have to spend $239x2 to delete ESA and get rid of the error message and resale wise, most people want a bike (or shocks if you yank them off before selling) with the ESA still intact.

Good luck. Beemershop can offer some better advice.
  5. filterwrench

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the advice Adam! but I did research this topic and believe I have a superior suspension setup than the one you chose at less than half the cost. Resale will be higher as the bike has 2 options now instead of one.

I,m not sold on ESA its a generic suspension compared to a conventional setup I can see where it comes in handy if you have pillions frequently or use the bike to courier stuff around. I use this GS for solo day rides and like to keep the bike as light as possible no camping gear even remove the lower crash bars at times for the 16 lb weight savings. shaved a few pounds off going conventional and now have 50 settings instead of 5. I paid $xxxx Canadian dollars shipping included for the TFX suspension going direct to the manufacturer that is less than half of what you paid for your Tractive set up through a re seller like Beemershop . The 2 brands are basically the same quality most of the parts used are the same as the companies are closely related with identical warranties. As far as the ESA symbol in the lower right hand side of the screen it is just a symbol the ESA was deleted at the time the the wires where disconnected. That symbol is hardly noticeable I certainly will not be buying Touratech dongles. (which all they do is send back the proper resistance/ voltage to the ECU) Actually if I do not bother to find the time to figure out a low cost way around that symbol it will make me smile every time I notice it knowing I saved a couple grand and got a much higher performing suspension. :rayof
    Jordan6679 likes this.
  6. AdamChandler

AdamChandler Ascending n00b Supporter

Oddometer:
    I was trying to be helpful and you shit all over my bike, methodology and thought process.

Let me try to remain helpful as maybe you and I have a misunderstanding. I linked you to the product you need to buy to delete the ESA code. You're welcome.

I also commented that ESA makes your bike and the resale of your shocks more desirable

In no way did I say TFX is inferior, non-ESA is inferior and Tractive / Touratech is better. I know they're one company. Good you saved some money but now to get rid of your error code you now need to spend $600 USD on a plug that gets rid of the error on your dash. Sounds like a downside to me.

I wasn't trying to start an argument with you. I was trying to be helpful now (the error code) and long term (selling an ESA bike that doesn't have ESA). I thought I was in the clear and was not in any way arguing with you over your choice of suspensions.
    RoundTrip, SocalRob, Fosters and 2 others like this.
  7. filterwrench

Oddometer:
    Adam my first word in my response to this subject was THANKS! for trying to help. Just because my take on replacement suspension is different than yours you need not take offence I did not shit on your bike, methodology or thought process I just have a different view that is all. Relax man. My intention was not to argue, I really do appreciate your input.
    Having to spend $600 to get rid of the code is ridiculous its a matter of sending either the proper resistance or voltage back to the ECU to make it think all is good. Once the values are figured out the parts required for the job will cost a few dollars. I,m not saying my suspension set up is better for everyone some people have better things to do with their time than spend it fiddling around wasting it just to save a few thousand bucks.
    This is a motorcycle forum where interested people come to to learn about their passion in motorcycles a difference in opinions is a key in learning new things. When someone shows me a better or different way to do something I usually say thanks for the heads up.
    Boxerbreath and AdamChandler like this.
  8. edgeoftheworld

edgeoftheworld Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I think both of you are trying to be helpful and not intending to put down what the other said. Context and intent can get lost in a flat medium like forum posts.

On my 2009 GS, I didn't get any warning indicator after the install. I didn't do the install but I was told the rear was easy and the front a real bitch to install
  9. nobody0101

nobody0101 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The TFX shocks aren’t the same as those sold as Touratech/Tractive ESA or “Extreme” shocks. No oil reservoir, other internal differences that I can’t be bothered to lookup.

As I have absolutely no skin in the game, I wouldn’t go out on a limb to say the setup is worth a couple grand more, but as a sucker who runs the Touratech ESA setup I’m very happy with the setup.

As for the ESA dongles, definitely not worth the TT asking price but without having the information as to exactly what those dongles are doing in order to reproduce- easiest solution would be a well placed piece of tape. :) Would be more annoying on a TFT bike where you a greeted with a dire looking message that takes over the whole screen.
    AdamChandler likes this.
  10. filterwrench

Oddometer:
    TFX shocks are not exactly the same as the Tractive shocks when it comes to their ADV bike shocks TFX uses a similar modular design and they use Tractives valving the shocks will have differences as they are made in different machine shops. TFX makes two models of shocks for the GS bikes one with a oil reservoir that has low and high speed compression damping and a separate rebound adjustment designed for extreme use or racing. A less expensive option with only one adjustment knob that adjusts both rebound and damping simultaneously designed for recreational use. Both models use the same basic components. As far as the now unplugged ESA plugs the one for the ride height indicator looked to be a simple 3 wire potentiometer quite easy to loop that one. The stepper motor plug looked to be a 4 wire plug which I would have to spend some time to figure out how it works but your right about the tape as I will probably leave it that way unless someone more knowledgeable offers the solution.
  11. mb289

mb289 2 Wheels Welding LLC Supporter

Oddometer:
    My '12 GSA, Camhead, does not display a code for ESA delete on the display after installing TFX shocks. It does show three fault codes that show up on the gs911. Probably a change made on the water cooled GSs.
  12. filterwrench

Oddometer:
    ESA fault codes started showing up on the display with the wethead models. Early year wetheads have a small symbol in lower right of the display not really an issue as it is out of the way. Sounds like the newer TFT display models have a much more larger irritating symbol that requires looping the disconected wires back to the ECU with the corect values in order to eliminate the warning symbol. The currently available Touratech dongles are quite expensive at this time. U Tube will eventually lower the price for this fix.
    Rockred likes this.
  13. jacoba331

jacoba331 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    In terms of the rear non-esa version- I think the TFX 142 might be nearly identical to the Touratech Extreme. The only difference I can see is that the TT has the "pds" valve which slows bottoming out. TFX 142 might have it- I dont know.

Maybe someone else has answers on the real differences between the top of the line TT and TXF non-esa shocks? It has already been stated that they come from the same factory.
  14. filterwrench

Oddometer:
    Finally got to put 500 km on the TFX conventional shocks. It is a very noticeable difference from stock ESA the bike feels more planted and is much more confidence inspiring in the twisties. I am very happy with the results should of made the switch long ago. in another 500 km or so when they are broken in I will reset the sag and post a long term review. At first just the letters ESA showed up on lower right of the display but now there is a yellow triangle above the ESA symbol. I deleted the error codes but the triangle keeps coming back. If I have time this winter I will plug the old ESA shocks in and see if I can figure out the values required to loop the proper resistors into the circuit to eliminate the yellow triangle. i have not yet searched the internet to see if a DIYer has already figured this one out but I bet the solution is out there somewhere.
    mb289 likes this.
  15. CTJocko

CTJocko n00b

Oddometer:
    Just ordered a 130/142 combo. Couldn't be more pleased with the time Jeff spent answering questions and giving his recommendation. Had a tracking # within 45 minutes of placing the order.
  16. Boxerbreath

Boxerbreath 2017.5 GS Black Storm

Oddometer:
    So if a guy wanted the full ESA version to replace the stock units you shouldn’t get code issues. That about right?
    filterwrench likes this.
  17. darmahman

darmahman "Illogically Deluded" Supporter

Oddometer:
    Friday I ordered a set of TFX's for my 2011 1200GS. Looks fairly simple to install...???
  18. mb289

mb289 2 Wheels Welding LLC Supporter

Oddometer:
    It's a fairly easy install. The front is harder than the rear. I would allow 3 - 4 hours if removing ESA and installing manual shocks.
  19. CTJocko

CTJocko n00b

Oddometer:
    Got the bike tore down... Just waiting on the big-brown truck to arrive. Hardest part was the lower front shock bolt. Might want to get some PB Blaster (or similar) on that sucker.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    filterwrench likes this.
  20. CTJocko

CTJocko n00b

Oddometer:
    Install is complete. Had to do a canisterectomy to make room for the piggyback reservoir. No big deal... was planning to do that anyways.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    nobody0101 likes this.