TFX Suspension

Discussion in 'GS Boxers' started by michaeln, Mar 28, 2016.

1. darmahman

darmahman "Illogically Deluded" Supporter

Oddometer:
    Got the rear all apart (big ass heavy shock removed)! and ready to install the new TFX. The TFX’s will be here tomorrow. I took the wheel off and inner fender as well. Just cleaned things up.
    I will install the rear shock tomorrow and button it up.
    Probably then remove the front tomorrow eve but wait till Thursday to install front.
    Then ride!
  2. darmahman

Oddometer:
    Well, its Thursday eve and I am finally finished installing the pair of TFX'S (without the ESA. Bike must be 15-20 lbs lighter.) I bought from the Beemer Shop. Give them a 10 on presentation... Gonna give it a go after dinner and report back on how they actually work. Now I see why they charge $360 to change out the pair of ESA shocks. I would charge more...
    Did the canisterectemy while I was in there.
    filterwrench likes this.
  3. mb289

mb289 2 Wheels Welding LLC Supporter

Oddometer:
    I did the same on my '12 GSA. I couldn't be happier with TFX performance.
    darmahman likes this.
  4. darmahman

Oddometer:
    Yes - didn’t get in much of a test ride
    Hopefully this am I will. These shocks feel tight. Need to put some longer miles on to loosen them up I think.
  5. Jordan6679

Jordan6679 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    When they are completely warmed up the ride changes drastically. Take them offroad and try to kill them, then start making adjustments. I fought them with adjustments in the winter with light dirt road operating temperature it was pretty much a waste of time. I got them dialed in very well on abusive heavy offroad where riding on a wheelie was the key to get through the nasty.
  6. darmahman

Oddometer:
    I took it pretty fast last night on some backroads that have some good paved bumps.(cattle guards) Felt perfect. Very confidence inspiring. This is not my offroad bike but a street bike for me. ie canyon, curvy mountain road riding.
    I love the shocks. I'll know better by next week.
  7. Gedrog

Gedrog 1000 mile stare a 1000 stories to tell

Oddometer:
    My 2 pennies to add I am in no way affiliated with TFX but I have been ogling them for a while so I will add to the thread my experience with dealing with the supplier which I thought was excellent.

I know most of the guys here is fitting their TFX to 1200GS so I thought I will add my voice here
    I am interested in a long term review so was looking around and found a few mentions
    Lifewelove have a TFX 140 shock installed on F650 Dakar ( I came across these guys first when TFX was still an unknown brand)
    RideUnlimited has TFX installed on their G650X's
    On Her Bike has TFX installed on her F800GS

My Own journey
    I did a trip in South Africa on a F650 Dakar in 2014 and using the stock shock it was crappy
    In 2015 did a similar trip this time I upgraded too Touratech way better my next trip is planned for 2020 fingers crossed will then put the TFX set-up through the paces
    12115912_10203515485926544_3705301259083539132_n.jpg
    In 2017 after an almost 6 year long search I managed to stumble across a holy grail of F650 Dakar suspension set-ups the Touratech WP
    The forks are in a dire need of refurbishment but the rest of the fork kit is brand new and unused.
    Touratech suspension kit (2).JPG
    The Shock was in reasonable condition apart from wear around the bottom mount I could have had it refurbished but I wanted something with the latest technology
    WP guys were a bit reluctant so I thought maybe TFX could help, I contacted them and they said no problem send us your shock and we will make one exactly as yours
    IMG_3060.JPG
    1 month later lots of discussions with Hans-Dieter Fisher from TFX this baby arrived
    TFX3.jpg
    They do offer a stock F650 Dakar Shock but this baby has 250mm of travel over the stock 210mm of travel and the stock length of the shock is 330mm whereas this one is 336 mm in length
    If You are an BMW F650GS or G650GS owner looking for a shock with more travel over the stock 210mm of the Dakar or Sertao models or want to upgrade your G650GS or F650GS after you have done a YZ or WP fork conversion you can ask for the following two part numbers based on your budget.
    Stock length of the F650 Dakar shock is 330mm these two puppies is 336mm offering 250mm of suspension travel over the 210 mm travel offered by the stock suspension
    Quote these part numbers when enquiring
    141-0053-01 (Fully adjustable shock )
    140-0053-01 (Baseline Emulsion shock)
    Lots of things to happen before I can test them but as winter is approaching I will be finishing the bike build over the winter getting her ready for an exciting summer
    I cant comment on their performance yet but since there is a lot of talk and this is not a bike specific thread but rather a suspension brand specific thread I thought I would add my experience with TFX on here.
    My dealings with TFX has been par excellence, most of the other suspension manufacturers wouldn't even return my enquiry about cloning the WP shock for me.
    Boxerbreath likes this.