1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

Thailand Anyone?

Discussion in 'Asia' started by woodly1069, Jan 21, 2016.

1. woodly1069

woodly1069 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I was wondering if there is anyone near Bangkok as I am supposed to be working there near the end of February and early March. I should have some time after the job gets finished and would love to meet up with local riders for a few days of adventure before I have to head back home. I'm not so sure about riding around the big city with all the traffic but would love to get out into the countryside to explore some for a few days. Does anyone have a suggestion about where I may be able to rent a scooter or small cycle to do some exploring? I would love some company as well!
  2. L0nerider

L0nerider 2003 XT600E

Oddometer:
    E Yorkshireman...divided between Chum Phae & Iraq
  3. woodly1069

woodly1069 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hey Wayne thanks for the heads up! I am not really looking for a big bike, actually I think I would prefer to keep it small at this point. I would like more of the local experience if you know what I mean. Are you in Bangkok? I have been to Asia a few times and seen the madness of the scooter races first hand. While I find it to be somewhat wonderful in a chaotic sort of way I don't know that I am ready to give it a go in the big city. I will check out your links for sure! I am wondering about the requirements though, can anyone rent and ride or is there some sort of local license required? How about insurance?
    Thanks!
    Tim (woodly)
  4. L0nerider

L0nerider 2003 XT600E

Oddometer:
    Yes I am in BKK, only till the 13th Feb at the moment as I need to go back to the UK. I have been in Thailand since the 17 Dec 2014 when I did my bike trip (the link is in my signature block at the bottom), only been out of Thailand for about 13 weeks.
    I have not rented in BKK only in Chiang Mai, but most places will want a deposit for the bike, some of the places may ask to keep your passport while you have their bike, although they know you need to keep it. Try giving them a photo copy instead.
    When I rented and rode I used an International driving permit which I got from the UK postoffice for 5 GBP, so not too expensive but I am sure not everyone does that so I am assuming you can ride on your normal license as a visitor. As for insurance I got my insurance with the bike I hired in CM, I think it was only 3rd party. If you intended on going over the border to Laos or Cambodia you will have to let the rental company know as they will need to produce paper work for you to do so.
    Yes riding in BKK is mad, I have only done it once for the day, I tend to walk or use the skytrain and my local scooter taxis, i don't get ripped off haha
    If you are here awhile it might end up cheaper to buy a bike/scooter, but again if you get a Thai friend get them to sort it and then you might not end up paying the foreigner price haha

Have a look at this site http://www.rideasia.net/motorcycle-forum/ loads of info

Wayne
  5. woodly1069

woodly1069 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks a million Wayne! Wish you were going to be around while I am there but travel safely my friend!
    L0nerider likes this.
  6. TBR

TBR One Life ~ Live It...

Oddometer:
    The good ol' days, remembering the stories from the 80's and 90's about bike rental shops and passport scams all over the "Land of Smiles"... pay up $$$$ sucker or we keep your passport, are people (vehicle renters) really still that desperate and naive to hand over passports ~ makes me wonder... nuff said'....
  7. L0nerider

L0nerider 2003 XT600E

Oddometer:
    I have heard of some still asking for passports yes, but the better places tend just to do a deposit, I would say it was to rip you off but there is that chance

Wayne
  8. Farang Paul

Farang Paul A Late Convert

Oddometer:
    Insurance -

It is almost impossible to get insurance cover on a rental bike in Thailand. Since 80% of the 26,000 road fatalities per annum involve bikes, the insurers just won't cover rentals. Compulsory 3rd party is also invalidated by rental and can be invalidated by non-possession of a Thai or international driving licence. (They don't ask for a driving licence at most rental shops as they aren't interested in what happens to you - only their bike)
    In addition, there is a clause in most holiday insurance excluding motorbike accidents.
    To be safe, either take out holiday insurance that doesn't exclude bikes, or get your bike insurer in your home country to cover you for an extra fee (depends on your country and your insurer)

I own a hotel here in Thailand and rented out scooters for 3 years before stopping due to the problems involved. The last accident has cost the family of the guy involved their house and savings to cover the cost to treat and medivac their permanently brain damaged son who head-butted a lamp-post wearing the piece of plastic rental companies pass off as a helmet. Bring your own helmet or buy a DOT approved one here!

Hop on the back of a motosai taxi when you get to Bangkok and see if you still want to ride here!

Get out of Bangkok for a few days and then rent. This is a great country to ride just as long as you assume they are all out to kill you and ride accordingly.
  9. gavo

gavo Slacker

Oddometer:
    I'm back in Thailand riding my bike and I'm sure everyone is trying to kill me lol the indifference to their own and everyone else's safety is incredible.
    But not just Thailand but Cambodia, Myanmar,Laos
  10. woodly1069

woodly1069 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the tips Paul, I am definitely going to get out of Bangkok before I rent, in fact I think I may go the Enduro Madness route as there are guys here that enjoyed their riding experience and others on the web in general. Thanks for the tips man! Where are you located?
  11. Farang Paul

Farang Paul A Late Convert

Oddometer:
    I am located in Krabi - beautiful riding country with little traffic. Just back from a weekend ride to Ranong via Khao Sok.
    Enduro madness means you have a group (much safer here!) but still check out their insurance to a fine detail level just in case.
    Happy riding and drop in at my resort if you are down this way.
  12. woodly1069

woodly1069 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Dang Paul that looks beautiful down that way, sure wish you still rented bikes but I suppose it was not meant to be. Actually my co-worker will be down that way but he has more time to spend in Thailand than I do. I only have a few days after we complete our job before I have to be home again. I may tell him about you if he is out exploring the area. Enduro Madness seems like a solid bet for a few days and I think it will be fun! Maybe I will get to go back again some day and we can cross paths...until then take care my friend!
    Tim