Thailand Riders

Discussion in 'Asia' started by bush pilot, Aug 24, 2006.

1. rickypanecatyl

rickypanecatyl SE Asia adventure tours

Oddometer:
    Those are some nice panniers there!
  2. Schrauberklaus

Schrauberklaus ***ifyer

Oddometer:
    Hi , i live in Patong , Puket .

If i am not riding i am in my private Workshop and work on one of my Bikes .
    [​IMG]
  3. Blago

Blago Adventurer

Oddometer:
    those are saddle bags and that's how they deliver newspapers here. He's a rural paper boy! :D

Anyone know of decent roads near Bangkok that would make a day's ride? Thanks.
  4. canoli

canoli human

Oddometer:
    Chang Wattana road to Rama 4 bridge. Cross the bridge come back around underneath it make a left at the 7-11 then another left at the Wat and there are miles of roads to explore.

Canoli
  5. TonyBKK

TonyBKK Secret Soi Rider

Oddometer:
    Checkin' in from the Big Mango, aka the Big Smoke, aka Da 'Kok! :D
    [​IMG]

Best day trip out of Bangkok is the Khao Yai National Park - Wang Nam Khiao loop-

[​IMG]
    Derek was on his cool new Ducati Diavel Carbon, Ant on his Triumph Tiger, Karlos and his lovely missus on Kawasaki Ninja 650, and yours truly on Suzuki GSXR [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Tons of bikes out and about today. As always, lots of elephant poop, but no elephants. Or does this one count? [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Nice and cool in the park- about 21 degrees at the main rest stop-
    [​IMG]

The deer remain very tame, and aren't even put off by Derek's camoflage [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Lunch stop-
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

This place does awesome pork chops and ham steaks-
    [​IMG]
    Just don't try to order any fried rice [​IMG]

Karl is all smiles with his new Kawasaki Ninja 650 [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Took the gang to have a look at Bonanza Circuit after lunch and we thought about jumping on for a sighting lap but there was a guy ripping it up in his vintage supercar which was fun to watch.

Wang Nam Kieaw "Isaan Switzerland".... Really? [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Life is good! [​IMG]

T
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
  6. rickypanecatyl

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the pics! I'm in BKK right now as well so I think I'll head out that way!

Rick
  7. Blago

Blago Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the info Tony. I'll see if I can try that loop next weekend. Is the traffic on those roads congested on the weekends?
  8. TonyBKK

TonyBKK Secret Soi Rider

Oddometer:
  9. Hot Stuff

Hot Stuff Road Dragon

Oddometer:
    Phuket Bike Week in April 2012....anyone been to it in prior years? Can you provide any insight as to what to expect?

Here is the link to the event website.

I am going to attend with some friends from Korea. We will probably be renting motorcycles or scooters for at least one day while there. Planning to arrive in Phuket on April 5th and Depart early morning of the 9th.
  10. Malindi

Malindi Zen Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Anyone got reccomendations on bike rental places in Chiang Mai? Looking to rent something sizeable for two tall people (pilon rider). Maybe a larger offroad bike? Planning on a pavement-only leisure ride around the north for 5 days or so.
  11. Schrauberklaus

Schrauberklaus ***ifyer

Oddometer:
    Was there the last 10 Jears , live 500 m away .
    Bikeweek mainevent is usual at Loma Park direct on the Beach just outside the Center of Patong .
    Expect a Lot of traffic jams and confusion on what start when and where .
    Pack your Camera watertide as some Tourist dont t want to wait for the songkran festival (Waterfestival ) and carry Waterguns days befor songkran start . So you can get a unexpected Shower on the Roads at any Time .
    No Parking Space for scooters near the Loma Park ,for Big Bikes very Limited . Rent a 250 if you can and want to come and go often . Daytime everybody sleep befor ,5 pm its usaly dead .
    And extend your stay over songkran on 13. that why most of the People come at this Time of the year to Patong .
  12. rickypanecatyl

Oddometer:
    FWIW I spent hours 2 days ago trying to find a couple motorcycle shops and was only able to find one. Then I was craving a Starbucks and heard some prissy girls talk about some glitzy mall and figured they had to have a starbucks there.
    When I got there they had some pretty good displays by KTM, Triumph, Kawasaki, Honda, Dainese, Harley. I got to talk to some knowledgeable KTM & Kawasaki guys who probably wouldn't have been at their shops if I had found their shops.

Bad part - I forget the name; something like Central law? Paragonian??
  13. canoli

canoli human

Oddometer:

Central World :deal

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=761973
  14. Hot Stuff

Hot Stuff Road Dragon

Oddometer:
    You could check with these guys who are based in Chiang Mai. It is a tour company, but if they can't help with a rental they can probably direct you to someone who can.
  15. Hot Stuff

Hot Stuff Road Dragon

Oddometer:

we are looking into renting 400cc bikes if there are any available.

Don't have time to stay for Songkran...
  16. Schrauberklaus

Schrauberklaus ***ifyer

Oddometer:
    CBR 400 you can get for sure , maybe DRZ 400 or XR 400 , the guys along the Beach road have them for Rent .
    Or try Patong Big Bike in the middle of the Town .

A Thai Friend had a XR 400 and a DRZ 400 for rent . If you want i give you his mobile number or ask him if i am back home . But i am the next 6 weeks in India .
    How many Bikes you need ?
  17. Malindi

Malindi Zen Adventurer

Oddometer:
  18. TonyBKK

TonyBKK Secret Soi Rider

Oddometer:

Lots of rental shops in CM.

Biggest by far is Pop Car Rent (http://www.popcarrentchiangmai.com). They've got branches all over town and rent mostly late model Kawasakis like KLX250, D-Tracker 250, ER6n, Ninja 650R and Versys.

Some other CM Rental Shops:

Tony's Big Bikes (no relation to me!) http://www.chiangmai-motorcycle-rental.com/

Mr. Mechanic: http://www.chiangmai-motorcycle-rental.info/bookings-reservations-contact

And there are plenty more.

Hope this helps! :D

Tony
  19. Hot Stuff

Hot Stuff Road Dragon

Oddometer:

Not sure yet what days we are going to want bikes, maybe just for Thursday April 5th.

I've sent some of our guys an email to see what they want to do. I think we are going to have 6 people, so we would need six bikes. I think those guys will want cruiser bikes like steed/slasher/shadow. I would love a DR-Z, but prefer electric start.

Anyway, for now we don't have a solid idea when we will need bikes. Thanks for the information so far...
  20. rickypanecatyl

Oddometer:
    So can you ride with an American license in Thailand? I guess I never thought of it but just got pulled over in Bangkok Saturday night and the cop said I couldn't use a US license. He called a friend who backed him up and then they took me to one of those little posts. They then said that I had to have the same kind of license plate they did. (My bike is from Malaysia and has Malaysia plates).

They went back to the license thing and I told them I had an international one as well. (I didn't have it with me but I didn't tell them that.) They told me that didn't matter, tourists couldn't use international licensees in Bangkok. He said it was ok in Hat Yai and Phucket?

End of the story was some guy took my license and left and they told me to go to the police station on Monday. I needed to be in Chang Mai by Monday so I just left it. Of course I speak no Thai (Wait! I know about 7 words now!) and their English was really rough.

Anyone have any idea if the police station has any communication with immigration? As in if I just leave the license will they give me a hard time at the border leaving? I'm about due for a new one anyways...