Thailand to India?

Discussion in 'Asia' started by spagthorpe, Jan 21, 2010.

1. spagthorpe

spagthorpe Long timer

Oddometer:
    Just wondering how feasible it is to spend some time in one location, and then ride to the next? My thinking was to perhaps purchase a beater Enfield in one, and then ride to India, and around for a while, and possibly sell the bike before returning.

Yeah, that's about as much planning as I have, as I'm really not that big on itineraries. Just figure that would pretty much throw me into a number of cultures feet first.

I don't know if there are problems with obtaining a vehicle in one, and then selling in another. Do you need to pay some sort of import duty on the vehicle when riding to another place?
  2. artnet

artnet i'm a motorcyclist

Oddometer:

first if we travel with bikes across nations it will require carnet, bond or other papers that we will re-export the motorcycle to where we start it. If you sell it it might loss of bond, unable to leave the country or maybe blacklist for future visit.

i wouldnt take these risk with bureaucracy, but if you know the situation in these country and lost your money on custom (bond) ... why not?
  3. cat

cat Long timer

Oddometer:
    Just go to India, get the bike, ride around. Then see if you want to go to Thailand. It sounds like you've got time. Send me email/PM, I'll give you a special source of information.
  4. David gt-rider

David gt-rider Banned

Oddometer:
    If you go to Thailand the best source of information is www.gt-rider.com

It has all information you need to know for riding in Thailand, also has Thai insurance for your bike. :evil

DavidFL
  5. thelocalhack

thelocalhack Adventurer

Oddometer:
    If you're thinking about this then you're going to have to plan on a looong detour, 'cause there isn't a chance that you'll get to go through Burma/Myanmar. A that point you're looking at a nice freighter ride--Chittagong (Bangladesh) to Ranong (Thailand) sounds fun--or a long overland detour through China and Laos. Good luck!
  6. PG007

PG007 AKA backdoorphil

Oddometer:
    The RideAsia.net motorcycle forum http://rideasia.net/forum/ has the most current, up-to-date information about motorcycle touring and adventure riding in Asia.

Give it a look, you won't regret it.
  7. aterry1067

aterry1067 Long timer

Oddometer:
    If you have that much time, you may be better off to buy a bike in each country, and sell it before you leave that country. Or if you don't have as much time as it seems, long term rentals may be possible.

Food for thought.