Thanks for the memories...now out to pasture? Need advice.

Discussion in 'GS Boxers' started by charleshmosesii, Jul 31, 2020 at 3:47 PM.

1. charleshmosesii

charleshmosesii No skills no worries

Oddometer:
    Heya everyone,

Bought my 2005 1200GS new; has almost 100k miles now. It's been a grrrrrrrrrreat ride! Most of those miles were not-pre-planned meanderings along the back roads and dirt roads of the lower 48 and Canada, in places like this in Utah (one of my fav states):
    [​IMG]

Most trips were longer than a month, with full camp gear (always camped, I was a backpacker before a rider) and riding 2-up with my Brazilian love. She -- the bike, not the love (this is, after all, about the bike, see the mybrazilianlove.com forum for the other) -- was relegated to pack mule, here's an example taken in Nova Scotia:
    [​IMG]
    Tank panniers, tank bag, side cases, dry bags, 2-up = 100% pack mule. Needless to say I needed the pumped up Ohlins rear shock to handle it all. Still, she was dialed in, and at anything over 5mph she still rode like a dream.

She stranded me twice but I forgive her:
    1. At around 70,000 miles the final drive housing cracked in two pieces -- while in a curve through a wide intersection of town. I'm so lucky I didn't go down, I was able to pull over and get a tow. That was an expensive part.
    2. At around 80,000 miles the gear box broke while just cruising straight down a back road. I had gears 3 thru 6 left, and rode it that way from Tennessee back to home in Tampa nonstop except for gas -- good thing the gas station was on a hill so I could get underway again. Stopping wasn't recommended so I just went straight through the red lights near home, good thing it was 2 am and no one was around. That was another expensive part.

Had her travel-farkled quite nicely, including:
    - TT protectors everywhere
    - the real footpegs
    - TT highbeam add-on (sweet geezus who turned on the sun)
    - Motolights, and flashy rear lights, for safety
    - BMW side cases
    - Ohlins rear shock (last rebuild maybe 30k miles ago?)
    - handlebar riser
    - seats replacement (but rear seat cover is splitting open now)
    - rear large BestRest rack

Not much wrong with her:
    - 4 turn signals are dry-rotted and need replaced
    - rear seat ripping open at the seam
    - needs new battery
    - slight rust on rearview mirror, and a few bolts, nothing major though barely worth mentioning

Where I'm at: 22+ year small business killed by pandemic, currently in full liquidation. Current income zero. Age 50. Almost unhireable at this point, with the most labor market competition ever considering we are currently worse than the Great Depression (or will be by Spring 2021 when the Great Food-n-Shelter Riots start in the U.S.). Very little savings. I'm likely fucked. Some of you can relate, i bet.

Owning a bike is like owning a boat -- you gotta have cash, and then more, and then more. E.g., the amount I spent on the final drive housing and on the gear box repairs alone was probably more than the bike was worth at each of those points in time. I can't afford to own (anything?) any bike right now, that's why she's just sitting with a dead battery and flopped turn signals.

I need to put her out to pasture. What pasture? I doubt anyone wants to buy her to ride, or do they? Or should I try to sell whole as a parts bike? Or should I try to part it out? What should I do with her?

Your help is most appreciated. I'm elated in my memories, and depressed in my present.

Attached Files:

Francistor83 likes this.
  2. PaulBarton

PaulBarton Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    First off, I am very sorry for your current situation. You are undoubtedly not alone.

I just sold a 2001 GS with 114k miles last October. I got $2700 for the bike that was basically returned to stock config except had Corbin seats and 1200 injectors. I sold the Jesse Bags/rack separately for an added $650. So combined, I got $3,350 for it.

I also kept a lot of farkles to transfer over to my new(er) 1150GSA like PIAA driving lights, all my soft luggage, windscreen, etc.

The 2004 was very likely the best of the bunch in terms of dual spark, latest iteration of then 1150, etc. A single owner, high mileage example is not unwanted in the current market. That is as long as it’s well maintained.

this may come as a shock but the current moto market is hot and definitely more so than last Oct. Of course, it’s worth more if the buyer can test ride it and ride off with it when the transaction is complete. I wouldn’t advise parting it out as that is a real time killer and while it may ultimately earn you more dollars it will take time to do so.

I would suggest returning it as close to stock form as possible without incurring anymore costs, sell the bike as a running one (put a battery in it) and then sell off the farkles in the FM here.

that may be the best way to put it out to pasture without the heartache. Watching people drive-off with each little component from your 100k love would be too painful for me. I’d prefer to find someone looking to feel some of that GS love on a budget. I know the guy I sold my bike to was happy to score it.

Good Luck
  3. PukaWai

PukaWai Long timer

Oddometer:
    Parting it out will generate the most cash, but as mentioned before will cost you plenty of time and aggravation. While the bike market may be "hot", a 100k + bike would be barely lukewarm. Florida is a "bike-only" suitable place, so keeping the bike and selling car(s) would be economical, but only if you can do your own wrenching. Doesn't sound like it though since those two major (and rather rare) breakdowns you had would only have been a thousand bucks in second-hand parts if you did your own work. If you do sell the whole bike, take off all the farkles except maybe the Ohlins (can't sell a bike without a shock!). You can usually get around 50% of new price for those, while on the bike about 10 cents on the dollar if that.
    Above all, make sure the bike is properly advertised: the picture shows a 1200, but I always thought those weren't sold in the US until 2005.
    scottdc and PaulBarton like this.
  4. Callisto224

Callisto224 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    ^^^this. Return it as close to stock as possible and put it up for sale in the FM. Then sell the farkles there as well.

Hopefully you'll get back on our feet sooner rather than later and be able to get another bike!
    bajaburro, Boxerbreath and PaulBarton like this.
  5. lewisjr1

lewisjr1 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Agree wholeheartedly with the above. The bike's worth just about as much in original trim as it is fully farkled, and individually sold farkles usu. generate greater return.

So if time allows, I'd strip it down to stock, then market the components separately.

Sorry this plague situation has hit you esp. hard. You're hardly the only one, but that doesn't make it any easier. There'll likely be another bike in your future, or maybe you'll choose a boat. Either way, it will get better. Until it does, you're making good decisions to consolidate, save, and look for alternatives.

Good luck brother.
    PaulBarton likes this.
  6. PaulBarton

PaulBarton Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    good catch. I didn’t even look at the pics...

The bike pictured is definitely a 1200 which would be Model Year 2005 if US bike. Model Year manufacturing starts Aug/Sept of previous year, it is possible this was manufactured in 2004 but is an 05 1200GS.

that changes everything as these are not as desirable as a well-loved 1150GS....;-)....at least for my garage.

In all seriousness, high mileage bikes are always lukewarm at best but know your audience — a high mileage GS definitely has a market. It’s the guys that have read all the hype, seen plenty of them at Sbucks and want to dabble in the GS pond without dropping a lot of coin.

In the case of my 1150, I had it on the market for $3300 with everything on it (I forgot to mention I sold it with Ohlins and the stock shocks to swap back in for when rebuilding the O’s). It sat on CL for a month with a couple of guys interested but had to sell their current bike first. My wife was looking at me sideways since I had already bought the replacement. GS Addict was looking for Jesse’s so I decided to start recouping some money. Sold him the boxes and sold the rack to another inmate. As soon as I did I got three guys fighting to get it first. Hadn’t even updated the ad but first guy to come look at it bought it.
  7. charleshmosesii

charleshmosesii No skills no worries

Oddometer:
    I'm an idiot the Dakar was 2004; this is 2005.

Read my tagline at bottom lol
  8. lewisjr1

lewisjr1 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Hardly an idiot. It's a 15 y/o bike, and confusing the < 3 sec. difference between the two years doesn't mean anything.

It may be technically accurate, but it's also a bit pedantic all these years later.

Really, don't worry about it. You've got a good plan. I'd work that.
    Francistor83 and PaulBarton like this.
  9. Lead Wrist

Lead Wrist Mehr Gelände Weniger Straße

Oddometer:
    Sorry to hear about your situation... However, hope you're healthy, other than being depressed, and are optimistic about better times ahead, as they will come hopefully sooner rather than later... :-)

Riding can be very therapeutic for both body and soul so if you enjoyed riding in the past, I'd suggest that you sit a bit on the decision of parting ways w your bike as you can always do that at later time...

From what you said it's wrong with the bike, there's ~$100 or so worth of expense (battery at min) that can make that bike operational. Even if you decide to sell either as-is or stripped and back to stock condition, you can still get more than $100-ish for operational bike than one that isn't... :deal

So, if it were me in your shoes, I'd find the way to make the bike rideable and would go out for a ride to clear my mind and get out of depressed state-of-mind. All other decisions such as sell stock and/or defarkle and sell farkles separately and/or part it out should follow when you're back in non-depressed condition! :deal

Good luck :thumb
    Dorian likes this.
  10. GR8ADV

GR8ADV Safety Second!

Oddometer:
    Well shit.
    Get the bike operational. Do an oil change. Offer it for sale as it sits. Heck it likely has at least 50k trouble free miles left. That’s 5-7 years for someone. That will take little or no effort on your part. If it doesn't sell then start selling off the goodies and reprice the bike.
    GL.
  11. jmb711

jmb711 Adventurer

Oddometer:

There are plenty help wanted signs out there so grab something easy till you can figure out a new and better business?
    Remember if you want it badly enough it will happen.