Thanks Tuk!

Discussion in 'Americas' started by TravellingTartar, Jan 19, 2018.

?

In the next three years, are you going to Tuk?

This poll will close on Jan 19, 2021 at 7:22 AM.
  1. Absolutely

59.6%
  2. Want to

33.5%
  3. Can't

1.9%
  4. Nope

5.0%
  1. TravellingTartar

TravellingTartar Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Many of us are headed to Tuk this year, and next... I read elsewhere on AdvRider that we should try to do something for Tuk. I decided to do something. I contacted their Office of Economic Development and came up with a project to print stickers for them, for free, and they can then sell them for a profit.

I've created a gofundme page for all those who want to contribute. Here is the page: http://gofundme.com/thankstuk

Note that I'll be riding up there in May (2018), you're welcome to join. But for now, let's focus on Tuk! BTW, I've been there several times... those who have not, beware, you're going to fall in love with it.

ThxTukMaster vectorized300.png

Attached Files:

2. TravellingTartar

Oddometer:
    Just did the math, I leave for Tuk in exactly 100 days! Wow! In the meantime, I would be so grateful if you can support the Thanks Tuk campaign at http://gofundme.com/thankstuk
    TreasureState and Hi-De-Ho like this.
  3. Tewster2

Tewster2 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Great idea, thanks for putting it together. Donation sent.
    Hi-De-Ho likes this.
  4. TravellingTartar

Oddometer:
    Thanks and THANK YOU for your donation!
    Tewster2 likes this.
  5. Wreckchecker

Wreckchecker Ungeneer to broked stuff. Supporter

Oddometer:
    Great idea!!!
    TravellingTartar likes this.
  6. TravellingTartar

Oddometer:
    Thanks!! Much appreciated.
  7. TravellingTartar

Oddometer:
    First fundraising weekend done. Just about $700 raised. Still a long ways to go but a big thank you to the Inmates that have supported us. I hope there will be many more!.
  8. TravellingTartar

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the donations so far. In the meantime, interesting little data tidbit. The poll on this thread has only been open for this first weekend, and so far, all we have are either committed or near-committed Tuk travelers.

• Can't 0 vote(s) 0.0%
    • Nope 0 vote(s) 0.0%
  9. TUCKERS

TUCKERS the famous james

Oddometer:
    Villa Maria Sanitarium, Claremont, CA. USA
    The Tuckers went to TUK! Then we took TOTW to D2D.....in the rain! Don't ride TOTW in the rain.......that loaded BMW R1150 GS of mine was murder to pick up in the mud after I fell down. We also missed the border crossing time and spent the night on top of the World!....just below the border.
  10. Hi-De-Ho

Hi-De-Ho Mad Scientist Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    James, do you mean TOK, Alaska ??? Tok, Alaska is at the southern end of the TOTW highway, which you would go from Tok, Alaska, up the TOTW highway, cross the border into the Yukon, take the ferry across the Yukon River, and land in Dawson City, for the D2D.

But Tuk....which is Tuktoyaktuk, in the Northwest Territories...is approx. 90 miles north of Inuvik.

I ask, because it appears that the road to Tuk has just opened last September, 2017. Many of us are planning on riding there this late Spring, before this years' D2D in Dawson City. And...a bunch of others are riding to Tuk this Summer, after the D2D in Dawson City.
    TravellingTartar likes this.
  11. TravellingTartar

Oddometer:
    Whether Tuk or Tok, I do agree about the rain ;-) It's no fun to pick up one of our laden bikes. As for the closed border at TOTWm that must have been frustrating!!
    Hi-De-Ho likes this.
  12. Tewster2

Oddometer:
    Yep, that's why, even before I retired, I built in several days of non riding if they were needed to wait out bad weather. I'd rather see a couple of less things and enjoy the ride rather than try to push on with a tight schedule. I can always go back.
    Hi-De-Ho likes this.
  13. djroszina

djroszina Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I talked very briefly to a guy who was on a well traveled GS in Sturgis last year who claimed he rode to Tuk in June last year before the official opening. He didn’t want to elaborate, he came off as kind of an ass bag...or maybe it was me?
  14. Tewster2

Oddometer:
    He may have ridden to Tuk bu....it had to have been in the winter on the ice road....he's probably an assphat.
    Migolito and Hi-De-Ho like this.
  15. djroszina

djroszina Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I’m pretty sure he said around June. Now while at the arctic circle north of Eagle Plaines in August 2016 a guy from Italy on a bicycle said he had inside info on getting to Tuk and was headed that way. It was raining and the road was slime and he looked to be 60 to 70 years old and said that for several years he’d been coming to NA in the month of August. I looked at my bike and thanked God it had a motor.
    russ4ru likes this.
  16. TravellingTartar

Oddometer:
    I know one thing, this year is going to be traffic-jam-dempster! I just hope that everyone goes up with the right attitude and expectations. Obviously, any help any of you can provide in raising awareness for our Thanks Tuk campaign would be greatly greatly greatly appreciated! It's for a good cause.
    TreasureState, Tewster2 and djroszina like this.
  17. TUCKERS

TUCKERS the famous james

Oddometer:
    Villa Maria Sanitarium, Claremont, CA. USA
    Oh yea TOK! Because of the one hour time change USA-Canada the TOTW border was closed. We spent mid summers night in a pull out just down the hill in USA before re entry to Canada. I slid and dropped my R1150GS just after passing Chicken headed to Canada. It started raining and I was going too fast. Fortunately I stayed on the road and just got muddy. But we had to unload the bike to pick it up in the slime and rain.
    Tewster2 and Hi-De-Ho like this.
  18. TravellingTartar

Oddometer:
    Check out the results of the Tuk poll on this thread. As it stands now... lots of us going to Tuktoyaktuk!!!!

Here's a little image to wet our appetite! (Photo courtesy of Debbie Raddi).

Arctic Ocean Sign.jpg
    russ4ru, Phoenix101, jlambo and 6 others like this.
  19. Hi-De-Ho

Hi-De-Ho Mad Scientist Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Donation sent. Thanks for serving the small village of Tuktoyaktuk with such honor.
    Migolito and Tewster2 like this.
  20. TravellingTartar

Oddometer:
    A big thank you to a mad scientist, turned biker, with a big heart. Thanks HeidiHo!!
    Hi-De-Ho and Tewster2 like this.