Thanks Tuk!

Discussion in 'Americas' started by TravellingTartar, Jan 19, 2018.

?

In the next three years, are you going to Tuk?

Poll closed Jan 19, 2021.
  1. Absolutely

59.5%
  2. Want to

33.1%
  3. Can't

1.8%
  4. Nope

5.5%
  1. TravellingTartar

TravellingTartar Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Got it, have to buy the Butler Alaska map. Doing so now ;)
    JeepDawg and TreasureState like this.
  2. TravellingTartar

Oddometer:
    Done. Just got the Butler Alaska map off Amazon. Will have it in my mailbox on Thursday! No matter how far map technology has come, I still love to stare at a map of where I'm going. Oh, and I definitely take it with me... GPSs do die (spoken by one who knows!).

Tuk departure in 89 days !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Meantime, have to stay focussed on the fundraising campaign for the Tuk stickers!!
    Hi-De-Ho likes this.
  3. Shawnee Bill

Shawnee Bill Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Don't need a map or GPS to get to Tuk. Ain't no turns on the Dempster.
  4. TravellingTartar

Oddometer:
    ROFL... you're actually very right. It's kinda like crossing Australia, just point ... :rofl
  5. Lizzard323

Lizzard323 Solo rider. Lover of solitude and corn meal.

Oddometer:
    When did or is the road open?

Also, its fun to watch the TOK, TUK confusion. Might surprise someone to be in one when they planned on the other..
    Hi-De-Ho and TravellingTartar like this.
  6. BigDogAdventures

BigDogAdventures Fart Letter Supporter

Oddometer:
    They cut the ribbon back in November 2017 if I remember correctly-------that was the official legal opening. I may have the date wrong-------but it was last year. There are pictures of officials cutting the ribbon.

So-----------anybody can go whenever they want to--------now if you like :lol3
    There is no opening date this year-------it's open now.
    BigDog
    djroszina and Hi-De-Ho like this.
  7. TravellingTartar

Oddometer:
    The only thing stopping us from getting up there by motorcycle will be the opening of the Peel River ferry. That’s where I will be camped out in late May.
    Lizzard323, djroszina and Hi-De-Ho like this.
  8. Lizzard323

Oddometer:
    It looks like the ferry usually opens June 1st. Assuming that is the day one could cross, how much longer to get to Tuk from there?

Second question. Does anyone know the plan once a motorcycle gets to Tuk? There are no hotels.

I just donated $69 to ThanksTuk. https://www.gofundme.com/thankstuk
  9. CaptUglyDan

CaptUglyDan Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Finally someone gets it right!
  10. Shawnee Bill

Shawnee Bill Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Even though I made that tongue in cheek comment about not needing a map, you really should have both a map and GPS traveling the Dempster. You won't actually be lost, i.e., can't make a wrong turn, you should always be aware of where you are relative to the end points and waypoints along the way when traveling so far from assistance.

It's about 90 miles from Inuvik to Tuk. If there is no place to spend the night in Tuk it may be necessary to plan a round trip from Inuvik, there are places to overnight there.

Of course with a little luck we may be able to get a Latte at Starbucks in Tuk, if you're on a BMW GS

:hide
    djroszina and Hi-De-Ho like this.
  11. Hi-De-Ho

Hi-De-Ho Mad Scientist

Oddometer:
    Our Side Show Act of Circus Freaks will be spending 2 nights at the Nova Inn, in Inuvik. After the first night there, we will ride to Tuktoyaktuk, have lunch will any and all other riders in town at that time, then ride back to Inuvik to spend the 2nd night.

June 18th, ride from Dawson City to Inuvik
    June 19th, ride from Inuvik to Tuk.....feed our faces....ride back to Inuvik.
    June 20th, ride from Inuvik to Dawson City....spend the next 3 nights in Dawson City for the D2D.
    djroszina and TravellingTartar like this.
  12. Lizzard323

Oddometer:
    Peeps buying the AK map for Tuk? Isn't Tuk still in Canada?

Butler? Butler? Butler?

13. TravellingTartar

Oddometer:
    Awesome. Lizzard323 Thank you so much for the donation.

Note to all inmates, I'm about to order the first batch of stickers in a few days. I'll post updates and pics.

As for the stay in Tuk. I'm hoping to stay there for about a week. I'll be camping. Note that I have been in constant contact with their City Council and they are going to really try to do their best to accommodate us. The problems will be WC, bear safety if you're camping, weather if there is any, etc. If you all like, rather than fuel additional speculation, I'll ask them for more details and post here. For all we know they have a well thought out plan. I'm sure that by 2019, all will be in order, I'm just concerned that 2018 will be the burden, hence our Thanks Tuk campaign. In all cases, we definitely need to be mindful that they will be overwhelmed. I'm so excited right now, I think I'll go to the Garage and have a chat with my Beast and see if she doesn't think we should leave sooner :lol2
    rubline and JeepDawg like this.
  14. TravellingTartar

Oddometer:
    I HAVE A QUESTION FOR EVERYONE!

I am about to order the first batch of stickers. I'm having second thoughts about the size and format.
    What will not change is that they will be of the highest quality weather and UV-resistant vinyl with additional weather coating. What I am not sure about is the size and the surface. Here are my questions:

1. Should I make them 3-inch round, 4-inch round or should both be available for sale in Tuk? 3-inch stickers are easier to place on a crowded saddle bag but 4-inch ones are more visible and readable.
    2. Should they be 'standard' or would you like some parts of it to include a reflective surface (for instance a reflective strip around the outside of the sticker)? Note that 'reflective' stickers are printed on a weaker vinyl; they tend to tear more easily when applying them whilst plain vinyl ones are basically tear-proof.

Thanks for your feedback!
  15. Lizzard323

Oddometer:
    I kind of like the smaller non reflective option. I didn't look but I think the smaller size fits on the front fender better. Reflective is a good idea but if someone wants reflectivity they can always add some tape..

But...both sizes available there might be good too. With both options available you can kind of track which is more desirable.

I also think you should send them all to Tuk and make guys get there to buy them. Sure, I helped with the purchase but I don't rate one till I can buy one there.
  16. djroszina

djroszina Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Even though Butler maps is labeled Alaska, it also has the TOW and Dempster on it and the Cassiar among others, great map.
    Tewster2 likes this.
  17. djroszina

Oddometer:
    What do we do about the rider that makes it to Tuk and buys multiples just to get back home and give one to his looser brother in law who only rides his BMW to the local Starbucks?
    TreasureState likes this.
  18. Lizzard323

Oddometer:
    LOL.... I thought the same thing. You know, in Deadhorse everyone took a pic in front of the "General Store" sign. I wonder where the pics will be taken in Tuk? As for the brother in law...you can spot bullshit a mile away. I was on my Goldwing a few months back and the topic of the Dalton Hwy came up. I told the story about riding there on the Wing. BS was called... a pic shown and the guy said it was photoshopped. LOL..

It would be cool to have a "book" or something to sign when you get there. Maybe leave it with whoever seems to be in charge up there. I too sent an email yesterday to Eileen who I "think" runs a BnB there. I inquired as to a place to sleep with heat and the possibility of buying something to eat. I haven't heard back yet.

There are some places listed on the towns site.
    http://www.tuktoyaktuk.ca/index.php/business/business-listings/accomodation
    cluster148, Hi-De-Ho and djroszina like this.
  19. djroszina

Oddometer:
    The guy also probabably suffers from penis envy.
  20. boatpuller

boatpuller Long timer

Oddometer:
    I love what you've done to your map. At the risk of overselling it - it's inspirational. I've got the Butler Box set, and will consider customizing mine as needed too. Wonder what other great ideas you have?