Thanks Tuk!

Discussion in 'Americas' started by TravellingTartar, Jan 19, 2018.

?

In the next three years, are you going to Tuk?

This poll will close on Jan 19, 2021 at 7:22 AM.
  1. Absolutely

59.6%
  2. Want to

33.5%
  3. Can't

1.9%
  4. Nope

5.0%
  1. Tewster2

Tewster2 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Yep a photo or it didn’t happen. I imagine there’s lots of folks full of shit about what they’ve done. Sooner or later it catches up with them. I’m pretty good at researching people from things I learned during my former occupation :hmmmmm
  2. TravellingTartar

TravellingTartar Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Agreed! Photos matter :) (and they make me want to leave NOW!)

Dawson Creek.jpg
  3. TravellingTartar

Oddometer:
    Oh well... Amazon could not deliver the Alaska Map --- UNDELIVERABLE! That's their way of making you feel as though you're at fault for them losing the item in transit. Yup, my map got lost. Now I get their refund and then order it again. I find it kind of ironic/funny that a 'map' got 'lost'. Is that like your GPS telling you "Uh, did you say Tuk? Nope, too far, shutting down now."
  4. djroszina

djroszina Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I ordered straight from Butler. I would rather funnel as much profit into their pockets than through a Goliath like Amazon.
  5. TravellingTartar

Oddometer:
    Agreed. My bad. Doing so now.
  6. TravellingTartar

Oddometer:
    Done. And why buy one map when I can buy two ;)
    djroszina likes this.
  7. gunnerbuck

gunnerbuck Island Hopper

Oddometer:
    Yep, am heading up for the last half of July, going to put together some creative off pavement sections to get me up there from the Island...
  8. squonker

squonker Stupid is the new norm

Oddometer:
    Are you planning on making a detour to Yellowknife, Dave?
  9. gunnerbuck

gunnerbuck Island Hopper

Oddometer:
    Not enough time to head that way... I spent a week in Yellowknife years back, quite enjoyed the place...
    squonker likes this.
  10. TravellingTartar

Oddometer:
    Memories... I stayed at the Explorer Hotel in Yellowknife in 1976 on my way back South from Gjoa Haven and then in 1981 on my way back from Polaris Mine on Little Cornwallis Island. Haven't been back since... Pretty sure it's changed a lot.
    I won't have time for a Yellowknife swing by this year, but next year.... ;-) who knows?
  11. TravellingTartar

Oddometer:
    Some news to report.

The first I made it to Tuk stickers have been printed. They should be ready to ship directly to Tuktoyaktuk in a few days and be available for sale, my guess is, during March some time.

A shout out to Rider Magazine for being the first to publish a story about the campaign. Here's the link to the article: http://bit.ly/2EklK65

Otherwise, the campaign is kinda stuck. I've been trying to get the word out but can't seem to jump start the donations. If any of you have any ideas on how to get Inmates and other riders involved, let me know. Heck, just promote it! I've tried sending news releases and donation requests to a few magazines and retailers, such as Revzilla, but I've mostly gotten 'no's'. It's a shame because this really is a good project and it will help a destination that we all love so much.

That's all for now! Going to send out a few more emails ;-)
    Hi-De-Ho likes this.
  12. Tewster2

Tewster2 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I hope with the new road all the way up the old saying "What makes people want to go to a place eventually kills it" doesn't come into play in the future :hmmmmm
  13. TravellingTartar

Oddometer:
    AGREED! Unfortunately, so many do want to go there. Fortunately, it's not the easiest place to get to. I think that, eventually, there will be some kind of stabilization. My only hope is that even with that, the Hamlet will still be able to handle it.
    Hi-De-Ho likes this.
  14. Hi-De-Ho

Hi-De-Ho Mad Scientist Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Agree with what both @Tewster2 and @TravellingTartar are saying about the initial impact on Tuk.

I believe that when reality sets in, and those that are sitting at home planning a ride up to Tuk realize just what that ride will entail, we will see the numbers decrease in reality compared to what is being thrown out there now in "dreams".

It is nice to have a "new" destination that is NOT easy to get to. Makes the ride there all the more worthwhile.
    Cal and TravellingTartar like this.
  15. Shawnee Bill

Shawnee Bill Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    This ^^^^ Even though I say I'm riding to Tuk and I really want to, there are things in my life that are more difficult to deal with than a ride to Tuk so I don't know if I will ever get there.

I've been to the Arctic Circle on the Dempster, It won't be the ride itself holding me back but other things I have to deal with.
    TravellingTartar and Hi-De-Ho like this.
  16. TreasureState

TreasureState A murse posing as a freelance dirt rider

Oddometer:
    Went from the minor groove to the lagging strand
    Sometimes you stumble upon an idea so cool, that you wish you would have thought of it! Donation sent

Beers and a steak dinner (collect in Helena, MT - just off the CDT) for the first inmate to complete a Tuk to Ushuaia run!

I would want the smaller version with a more robust substrate. I can always add the reflective tape if I wanted to do that.

Like, like, like . . . support the people that support your sport!
    TravellingTartar and Hi-De-Ho like this.
  17. Hi-De-Ho

Hi-De-Ho Mad Scientist Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    @TravellingTartar , simply as feedback to a question you asked earlier, I would like to see BOTH sizes of stickers, the 3" and the 4", available ONLY in Tuk.
    I personally like the example you showed of the 4", because of the black lettering, as it stands out in contrast to the Polar Bear being in white.

And YES to the suggestion of a rider's Guest Book, simple notations of name, month, year and bike ridden up there.
  18. TravellingTartar

Oddometer:
    I hope whatever obstacle you have in life clears out. Sending you good vibes.

THANKS FOR THE DONATION!
    Received and now in the 'Money to Sticker' machine :clap I think we need to buy a one-month supply of free beer to the first person to buy a sticker up in Tuk. Sticker-wise you'll be happy to know that the first series, currently being printed, is the smaller one on the stronger material.

Noted regarding the sticker preference. The first ones I made are 3-inches. The next batch will be 4 inches. About the use of Black vs. White for the lettering. Unfortunately, on the screen the black looked way better, but when I saw the printed proof, the black lacked contrast with the blue; the white stood out better. Going forward I think I'm going to play with colors for follow up series. The design will stay the same, but the colors might vary.
  19. TravellingTartar

Oddometer:
    Does anyone know of a paper map that has been updated with the Inuvik - Tuktoyaktuk part of the road? I've been looking around but with no luck.
    Thanks
    Shawnee Bill likes this.
  20. TravellingTartar

Oddometer:
    Thanks, but I'm thinking in the Rand McNally vein of maps... old school. It's actually not for me. I've been asked to talk to a school about the Canadian North and I was going to put a map up as part of the display and I just wished I had one that had the Tuk section. Hopefully someone will update their Yukon/NWT or Canada maps soon. Butler.... are you guys thinking of publishing an updated Alaska map?